Author Topic: BigMike's Big Project  (Read 719196 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: BigMike's Big Project
« Reply #210 on: Jul 15, 2004, 01:53:54 AM »
Tuesday - Wednesday,

Hey guys,

It's 1:30am and I am home now. Pulled a late nighter but the work is very slow and tedious right now. Yesterday (Tue), Andy finalized the engine mounts, I painted everything, and put the engine back in for the final time.

Today (Wed), I got the tranny and tcase all in and got the crossmember to bolt up which I didnt think would happen (using temporary U-bolt mounts). Marlin, the king of discovering lemons, started "feeling" :love: my truck up and noticed that the pilot bearing was totally wasted. Man I didnt even think of checking that, I am used to setups that do not use a pilot bearing. Owning a truck is new to me remember? So I pulled the clutch apart and replaced the pilot bearing. And I was glad to see that the clutch was close to brand new. It is a 3 double spring style disk, as apposed to our 2.7l Heavy Duty Clutch Kit that uses 4 double springs, but I am just going to go ahead of use mine of course. I will upgrade to Marlin's clutch kit when ever this one goes out or someone gives his kit to me for free :talkingn:

So I got the trans installed and everything is going very well at the moment. I dont have many pictures because not much has changed. Tonight, working until just past 1am, I did nothing but wiring all night long. Here is a pic of about 1/4 of the total wiring I will be sorting through. All I did tonight was just parse through all the '81 Carb wires and pulled alot of the unneeded wires out. I got the horns, blinkers, headlights, etc wired in now too. That is the only part of the '81 harness that made it into the engine bay. So everything is very clean inside the bay, very low clutter. Also, I've decided to remove the windshield squirters because the battery will be placed in the stock location of the water revisor, so I would have to convert the revisor over to the passengers side and I just dont care enough about it. I think with my MR2 I've used the squirters one time. I never ever use them. That's what rags and window squiggies (sp?) are for.

Today at lunch time, I took a quick trip to our wrecking yard, found a late 80's 2WD extra cab 22RE pickup, and scored on it's fuel pump and sending unit for $50 bucks. In my area these are gold, so I got very lucky :crossed: There were only 3 total Toyota trucks, all 2WD of course but just the one EFI. I need a EFI throttle cable still, but someone snagged it before I got there. I was able to get the high-pressure fuel line that connects the fuel filter to the hard line coming from the tank. This was the last missing link to completing my fuel system and now Its mine.

Which brings me to this question regarding wrecking yards: When I first started hitting yards, finding a MR2 was very hard. So whenever I would find one, I felt like it was so special for the yard. So when I would get something and take it out to buy it, I would always tell the clerk that my item was from a Toyota Tercel or like a Geo Metro or something... My idea used to be that because the MR2 is so rare, they must charge more for the parts because its a special model. And since most parts are interchangeable, I usually just told the clerk the part was from a very common and normal car. But then I started thinking that if I never report that my parts are coming from the MR2s, then they will think that the MR2 is a poor parts car and they won't want to buy any. So its like im hurting my future chances by saving some $ now. But I think this is all in my head. So I was wondering if anyone knows why they ask 'what car is that part from' because why do they care? Do they track the parts to see what models are the best sellers or does their database automatically adjust the prices in accordance to the vehicle model? :dunno:

Anyways, that's alot of nonsense you dont need to read but you did so hahaha :joke:

I am still waiting for my Turbo Radiator, ECU, 2nd o2 sensor, clutch slave cylinder, gas tank, and I need an EFI throttle cable... Hopefully most of this stuff (except for the tank) can make it here before the weekend so I can have something to do on Sat and Sun. I think I will go and buy a manual for a T100 so I can figure out the wiring. Marlin's automotive garage next door does not have a good book for that year so I am on my own with the wiring. And I am definitely no stranger to wiring. I've done 2 US Supercharged conversions on my buddies MR2s and including my conversion from a FWD 91-93 JDM supercharged engine that I transplanted into my MR2. Wiring never really gives me a head ache and I dont get overwhelmed, its just a slow and time consuming task and you've gotta do it one wire at a time and do it right the first time.

Welp I could use some shut-eye about now, so I will catch everyone later, night! :sleeping:
BigMike
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2005, 07:47:54 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki