Author Topic: H8PVMNT Wrestles a Weber  (Read 48170 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: H8PVMNT Wrestles a Weber
« on: Jun 05, 2017, 08:34:48 AM »
Out of the box my Weber 32/36 is jetted like this:

IDLE JETS:   PRIMARY      -55
                       SECONDARY-50

MAIN JETS:  PRIMARY      -140
                       SECONDARY-135

AIR CORRECTOR JETS:      PRIMARY      -165
                       SECONDARY -160

Following the weber instructions with 1 1/2 turn into the idle speed screw and 2 turns out on the idle mixture screw it fired right up, however my "Lean Best Idle" was at only 1/2 turn out on the idle mixture screw, which indicated a hugely rich idle jet.  It also had a pretty bad hesitation tipping into the throttle from a stop sign.

I then went one step leaner on everything.  My second setup was like this:

IDLE JETS:   PRIMARY      -50
                       SECONDARY-45

MAIN JETS:  PRIMARY      -135
                       SECONDARY-130

AIR CORRECTOR JETS:      PRIMARY      -180
                       SECONDARY -175

This got me "Lean Best Idle" at 1 1/4 turn on the idle mixture screw, which indicated still slightly rich on the idle jet. Still had the hesitation at tip in but now it wouldn't even stay idling when rolling to a stop. It also wanted to ping a bit pulling hills with these jets. I pulled back my timing advance a bit fro 8* to 5* and the pinging stopped.

This was all the jets I had at the time so I started looking for other things.  It passed the base gasket vac leak test with carb cleaner.  I started messing with other things and found when I unhooked the manifold vac line to my #2 charcoal canister, which was hooked to the new "hill climb" bowl vent, it ran better!  So for some reason I was getting some raw fuel sucked right from the bowl, into the manifold through the charcoal canister.  I took the vac off the charcoal canister, left the bowl vent hooked up and no more hesitation.  Messing with #1 charcoal canister, the one from the tank, did nothing so that one is not causing any grief.  "Lean Best Idle" then indicated on the lean end of all right, so I decided to put the jets back to "out of the box" for a fresh baseline.

"Lean Best Idle" is now at 1 3/4-1 7/8 turns out, which is right in the rich end of the pocket.  Having found my unexpected issue, now I can actually tune.  More jets are waiting in the mail box ;).  Timing advance is back to 8* and no ping.

So I have learned to look for the stupid stuff, because these things will NOT RUN RIGHT AT ALL if there is anything going on in the way of a vac leak or extra fuel, whatever.

Initial impression, I hate to make comparisons, but it's the only way at this point; this thing makes more mid range torque, than my Aisan.  Right at 2,800-3,200, noticeably more pull.  It's too early to say anything though because I have not dialed it in.

Likes to idle nice and smooth at about 750 RPMs with the idle speed screw set to the recommended 1 1/2 turn in.  This is a little lower than I like my "winter tune" on the Aisan carb for the cold start, but when I engage the manual choke to about 1/2 it pops the primary open enough to get a 1200 RPM fast idle so that should work for warm ups.

Oh yeah I picked up 2 MPG so far while running poorly and not really tuned  :biggthumpup:.

The tweaked up Aisan had a bit more top end and maybe a bit more bounce off the bottom of the tach bottom end.  I find myself less on the gas when accelerating, more happens on the primary on the Weber than the Aisan.  The Aisan seconrary hits sooner and harder (not in stock trim mind you).  I discovered I had a slight lean buck happening on the Aisan at the transition point that has disappeared with the Weber.

The offending EVAP canister...

« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2017, 09:21:09 AM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K