Author Topic: 1980 build *2 year update!! HYDRO, Axles, seats and more*  (Read 106443 times)

rcbro

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Got home and arrived to a bunch of goodies. Rock Lights, TG Battery Box, new lenses and some seals.. Nice! :D:grinpimp:

I spent alot of time looking for a semi cheap rock light. I had 3 requirements. I wanted something bright, low amp draw, easy to mount, relatively small and if possible able to alternate light levels.

Because I work with emergency vehicles I've had the luxury to see some very high end kits. The issue is always price or light output. The ones that worked were larger then I wanted and extremely expensive. The name brand kits that were small, just didn't produce enough light to make the purchase worth the efforts of installing.

Next I hunted ebay.. Lots of options, but left to many questions un-answered. Doing some google searching I cam across XKGLOW.COM I have no ties with this company, never heard of the company, but I liked what I saw. Sample pictures looked relatively bright, 5 amp draw for a 18 pod kit, extremely easy to mount, small and pattern changing.

So I took the plunge and ordered up the 18 pod rock light kit. I also picked up 8 more green pods for some bling factor :D

For those who don't know, I'm pretty big into the RC scene and have all the equipment for some nice photos. Because I could barely find information on this kit I decided to take some extra steps to show you guys what I got.

Here's what I got after opening the shipping box.

First impression was how small the LED's actually are! I know the power output of the LED's  themselves so it didn't have me to worried, but I was expecting something larger. I was relatively happy about this because I didn't want some godly looking lights mounted all over my rig. The smaller they are, the easier to hide.

The kit comes with a bunch of stuff. (18) 6 LED pods, controller, key fob and accessories for wiring.

Mounting lights can sometimes really be a pain, mounting 18 of them can be even worse. I wasn't stoked on drilling holes all over my rig, and with this kit you don't have to. Each light comes with a 90 degree bracket that you can bend to the angle needed.

The light and bracket adhere to the vehicle using 3M double sided tape. I know, your thinking cheesy right? In a rock crawler? Well for those who don't know, all those fancy moldings, fender flares and trim pieces on your new rigs are held on with this same stuff. Clean the area with some alcohol, heat slightly with a torch and stick them on. I don't think it'll be an issue.

Going off there website I truly thought the pods were bigger. I was thinking 2-3 inches wide. Here is a comparison shot next to a quarter. This pod is slightly shorter then the quarter and slightly wider.

Now comes the controller. This piece controls all the lights. Using your nifty key fob you can make your lights solid on, strobe, breath (increases and decreases brightness) and off. Being able to do this 40 feet away is even cooler.

The controller is also very small, you can fit it nearly anywhere.

Having installed several auto start and alarm systems I've seen alot of cheesy, cheap plastic key fobs. For once a kit with something nice. The Fob has a sleeve that moves up and down to cover the buttons and seems to be built with quality in mind.

I took the lights outside last night and lit a single pod with 11.1V and was truly impressed at the light output. 18 of these on a single rig will be plenty. The greens ones are just simply sweet!

I'll update you as I get them installed and ran. In the mean time I'll try to post some night shots.