Author Topic: 22r/20r hybrid or efi swap  (Read 27866 times)

4xChinook4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
22r/20r hybrid or efi swap
« on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:20:16 PM »
Hey there Marlin. MY daily driver is also my dream build. a 1977 chinook pop top camper on a 1980 4x4 pick up. so far done is re building the chinook interior from scratch. and as far as the drive line goes. its the OG 20r with a weber. with an L52 tranny swapped. and finally running down 4.88's with 31's.  since she is my daily driver and long road trips in mind with some wheel'n through'n in there . fuel economy and reliability is key, with modest power increase. so question is. do build myself the carbed hybrid with my weber. or do I swap in a 22re from an later model truck/4runner?  :help:  fyi cold air intake/cam/ header considered on both builds...
Toyota + rv camper; you'll never need another car, you'll never need another home. = perfect

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: 22r/20r hybrid or efi swap
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2015, 12:29:15 PM »
:popcorn:   you better get busy you need 9 more posts to show some pictures.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2015, 04:22:35 PM »
:popcorn:   you better get busy you need 9 more posts to show some pictures.

DARN!! i could have been conversing here, then with my PM box. get my posts count up. Thanks 79coyotefrg. Wonder if anyone else will join this forum.??
Toyota + rv camper; you'll never need another car, you'll never need another home. = perfect

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2015, 08:42:15 PM »
sure sooner or later they will come
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:25:01 PM »
 :welcome:   :worthless:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

toyodaaddict

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:43:16 PM »
Agreed, I want to get a look at this thing as well. I love the idea of the toyota motorhome/campers :smokin:. I honestly dont know how the drag themselves down the road with the old 4 cylinders though? I'll admit one time I was driving 70mph down the highway in my 22r pickup and a old yota motor home flew right by me in the other lane  :driving: :yikes:. Then again, who knows what was under the hood. Id love to have one with a 3.4. 4xChinook4, what kind of mpg you getting? Oh and  :welcome:
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2015, 12:17:35 AM »
Agreed, I want to get a look at this thing as well. I love the idea of the toyota motorhome/campers :smokin:. I honestly dont know how the drag themselves down the road with the old 4 cylinders though? I'll admit one time I was driving 70mph down the highway in my 22r pickup and a old yota motor home flew right by me in the other lane  :driving: :yikes:. Then again, who knows what was under the hood. Id love to have one with a 3.4. 4xChinook4, what kind of mpg you getting? Oh and  :welcome:

thats cause its probably running 29 inch tires and 4.88 gears :driving:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:11:58 PM »
:sofa:

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
Supercharge it.........

:yikes:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2015, 05:34:49 PM »

Holy cow guys so sorry for taking forever literally respond to my own posts in thread super whack on my part :hammer:, anyway hope you guys are all still reading this thread I've just been very busy with other things including buying the necessary parts for this build so yes thanks to Glenn I decided to go with the 22 R 20 R hybrid build :thumbs: I have been out of town for the past month and have been without internet connection, however I have installed the LC engineering Street header kit, block off the air injection ports and still have to install the rest of the exhaust. Lol she is ridiculously loud when I Drive and really get on the throttle it is almost embarrassing but / hilarious at the same time at stop lights when I'm barely getting off the line. next to come which is waiting in my garage back home is the street performer cam also from LC engineering, the reason I chose to go with this cam is because I did not need to do any piston clearance in order to install it, looking forward to what it gives me and then next will be the true second half to a hybrid of installing a 22 R Block was hoping to get this from Napa however they don't sell a block without the head on it ??? no matter we all have our yota junk yards and yes once I get a few more posts pictures will definitely be going up you can count on that thanks for replying as well, hope I didn't just lose all my followers on this thread. And by the way on mpg right, and really it depends on how im driving it, if it's arm out the window cruising on a nice day don't get a consistent 17 to 22 it feels like it also feels like I hardly ever have to fill up :D but if I'm really getting on it I'm looking more around 13 to 15 maybe 12. However really getting on it doesn't mean going fast by any means we all remember or have felt what I'm talking about with our old yotas. Hence the reason for this build

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2015, 05:36:14 PM »
:sofa:

Whack I know sorry bro thanks for keeping up with it when I wasn't here though you're pretty cool dude glen :therethere:

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2015, 05:40:14 PM »
Supercharge it.........

:yikes:

Haha I like the way you think bro have actually been considering this option depending on how much I get out of the current build. I've really been picking at the brains of anybody who is willing to talk motors with me and so far I'm getting this , (supercharger ) or fuel injecting the hybrid itself both would require an adapter plate fabrication to match to the 20 R head but heck that's nothing when you can get a charger on there, lol right ?

twistedtoy92

• Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2015, 05:57:07 PM »
I am actually getting ready to do a turbo/efi swap onto my 20r/22r hybrid. We are just cutting the intake flanges off an old manifold and welding runners up with fuel injector and water meth ports with a 3.5'' plenum coupled to a 60mm throttle body... This will be going in my 78 2wd yoter.  :yupyup:

Get to posting so we can see some pics of this thing!!!!  :_order:  :beerchug:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2015, 06:28:40 PM »
I am actually getting ready to do a turbo/efi swap onto my 20r/22r hybrid. We are just cutting the intake flanges off an old manifold and welding runners up with fuel injector and water meth ports with a 3.5'' plenum coupled to a 60mm throttle body... This will be going in my 78 2wd yoter.  :yupyup:

Get to posting so we can see some pics of this thing!!!!  :_order:  :beerchug:

Hmmm, like the idea, plus with this you would probably have round runners going into round help ports if I remember correctly ? Maybe I'm wrong haven't taken the intake and falls off in a while but anyway I have another reason for considering a supercharged carb over a fuel injection swap for fuel injected hybrid strictly being reason I'm making this build I like off the grid expedition mentality and with a Weber 32 36 and less electronics as possible I feel that in the field maintenance adjustments are a lot more plausible then efi motor. Would you agree with this? Is this fair thinking? :think:

twistedtoy92

• Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2015, 08:52:39 PM »
Yes sir!!! Round ports intake and exhaust in the 20r head. Yes carb is always much more simple to keep running and more cost effective. BUT, if you are going to add forced induction to the equation, I prefer EFI... Unless you supercharge it, which I have found to be very expensive and can cause overheating issues... Turbocharged on the other hand can allow you to run an intercooler for cooler air temps/less chance of detonation/more power. I'd prefer EFI or propane with this, although I don't' care much for propane... It stinks and doesn't have the lubricity characteristics of gasoline. You can purchase blow-through carbs but they are not cheap and then again limited on fine tuning abilities in my opinion...

My setup will consist of a heavily ported the 20r head, 48mm intake valves/seats, 40mm exhaust valves/seats, pro valve guides, dual valve springs, titanium retainers, Crower stage 3 camshaft, and adjustable cam gear for the top end. Then the early 22r block will be 8.5:1 compression, .040 over forged slugs, chromoly H beam rods, clevite bearings and ARP everything. I have a 22re harness out of an 89, purchasing megasquirt pnp ecu which plugs right in to the harness then I'll have full tuning access! After I get this engine built for my father I will be diving into this head first! Will be the most modified 20r/22r/22re series engine I've ever had.

Right now its around 11:1 compression, dual weber 45mm sidedraft carbs with a cannon intake, same cam as above, single valve springs, stock valves, and factory hardware. Needless to say, it pulled HARD! Rubber through 3rd no problem. But to my dismay, the PO who rebuilt it did a really poor job, plug on main oil galley came loose and developed a slight knock after oil pressure fell off on the way home. It was a bummer but at the same time I've always wanted to build the :pokinit: out of a 20r/22r hybrid and boost it.

You can do anything from wild to mild, just depends on your tuning/fab/wrenching skills, access to equipment, and how deep your wallet is... I'm curious to see your build! :beerchug:
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2015, 05:54:49 AM »
Yes sir!!! Round ports intake and exhaust in the 20r head. Yes carb is always much more simple to keep running and more cost effective. BUT, if you are going to add forced induction to the equation, I prefer EFI... Unless you supercharge it, which I have found to be very expensive and can cause overheating issues... Turbocharged on the other hand can allow you to run an intercooler for cooler air temps/less chance of detonation/more power. I'd prefer EFI or propane with this, although I don't' care much for propane... It stinks and doesn't have the lubricity characteristics of gasoline. You can purchase blow-through carbs but they are not cheap and then again limited on fine tuning abilities in my opinion...

My setup will consist of a heavily ported the 20r head, 48mm intake valves/seats, 40mm exhaust valves/seats, pro valve guides, dual valve springs, titanium retainers, Crower stage 3 camshaft, and adjustable cam gear for the top end. Then the early 22r block will be 8.5:1 compression, .040 over forged slugs, chromoly H beam rods, clevite bearings and ARP everything. I have a 22re harness out of an 89, purchasing megasquirt pnp ecu which plugs right in to the harness then I'll have full tuning access! After I get this engine built for my father I will be diving into this head first! Will be the most modified 20r/22r/22re series engine I've ever had.

Right now its around 11:1 compression, dual weber 45mm sidedraft carbs with a cannon intake, same cam as above, single valve springs, stock valves, and factory hardware. Needless to say, it pulled HARD! Rubber through 3rd no problem. But to my dismay, the PO who rebuilt it did a really poor job, plug on main oil galley came loose and developed a slight knock after oil pressure fell off on the way home. It was a bummer but at the same time I've always wanted to build the :pokinit: out of a 20r/22r hybrid and boost it.

You can do anything from wild to mild, just depends on your tuning/fab/wrenching skills, access to equipment, and how deep your wallet is... I'm curious to see your build! :beerchug:

Nice attention attention to detail bro, this is the kind of golden  info I want on this board, and like the seat I f your pants dyno with Pullen rubber to third, really gets me thinking,  ;), I almost did a 350 swap into her, but decided no to that since it would be very likely I might break the rest rest of rest of the rest of the drive train, and since would pretty much have to say good buy to any gas mileage  even with a light foot. Haha

Better to a keep it toyota, and build it to wear I want. I'm hoping for 150 + hp, on this motor, would say I'm heading  in to the  right direction?

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2015, 09:09:34 AM »
Alright guys trying to post pictures up, but says file is to big to upload??? Even with one picture at a time.?

How do I fix?

twistedtoy92

• Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2015, 04:52:50 PM »
Thanks, I've done a lot of research and had a lot of trial/errors to figure out what works and what doesnt... I was going to do a 383 stroker in my 2wd but I like toyota better than gm so... keeping it all yota drivetrain is the way to go!!! Plus I found out I have an 8'' 30 spline 5 lug rear axle under it already, those are hard to find around here...

You should be able to hit 150 hp if you follow all the small fine details and get the timing/fueling dialed in!!! You are on the right path.

Use photobucket my friend!

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2015, 05:31:45 PM »
By fine details you mean > port and polish head, cam, header, keeping my 32 36 weber. And a stock 22r block? Are these the fine details, do I need to up the valves size, to get there?

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2015, 05:43:35 PM »
Also for twisted..., what was your mpg  on your original  build. Current set up with the side draft webers.

That is key in this build. Simplicity ; mileage, and power. I'll be off the beaten path quite often, looking for a build I can trust and run in roughest senarios, weather  ,  terrain, etc. from the motor to the cabin. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I'll show my current layout, and maybe  a mock up of my revamped design. ;)  . She gets me pump to think about.
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2015, 02:13:11 PM by 4xChinook4 »

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2015, 05:44:41 PM »
From* the motor...

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2015, 05:48:47 PM »

Yes figured it out!

So here they are guys, she's not pretty, yet ;) . But soon to be 32 " mud terrains, painted to match, as well as some other details.

Hope you like em.

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2015, 05:50:45 PM »

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2015, 05:54:29 PM »

and here's a motor shot, thus far.

32/36 weber, lce street header, Magne flow cat, block and head are bone stock. (Block still 20r in this photo, not that you could tell either way )

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2015, 08:04:23 AM »
:love: this build! Did you start talking about this over on I H8 mud? I will be watching this one.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2015, 08:13:56 AM »
:love: this build! Did you start talking about this over on I H8 mud? I will be watching this one.

Haha thanks bro, it a great feeling driving down the road, knowing you'll never see your exact car at the same stop light.(we all know this ;) ) I've done valet for little over a year. And you begin to see the lack of individuality. I love my girl though. So what would you say about valves ? Necessary?. Looking for at least 150 hp, after this build, If I me correct, a 3rz pumps about 150, and a 3.4 does 180 non supercharged. Id like to get in the same ball park as these.  :eyebrow:
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2015, 02:17:05 PM by 4xChinook4 »

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2015, 08:15:48 AM »
And No I didn't mention this build over there,. Why you ask? Should I ?  :eek:

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2015, 08:23:10 AM »
(we all Lloyd know this;) )a 3rd pumps about 150,

Ugh I've got to get this auto correct under control. :shake:
(We all know this here on marlin ;) )

A 3rz* pumps about 150.

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2015, 04:18:22 PM »
So what do you guys think, is a port and polish, and/ or bigger valves necessary to reach desired hp?

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2015, 05:40:58 PM »
I think so
Ed