Author Topic: Toyota truck with jeep steering...  (Read 6289 times)

Bluewatervet

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -108
  • Male Posts: 63
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Toyota truck with jeep steering...
« on: Oct 30, 2014, 12:54:23 PM »
So I just picked this truck up on trade, it's a 93 with a sas but the guy used what appears to be a jeep steering system. I'm not sure what kind of joints he used on this but they seem to have some loose play to them and I think they are worn out.
So first let me ask what you all think of this? Second would you keep it or go to a Toyota high steer?

Once I get the capability to post pics I will.

Bluewatervet [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Toyota truck with jeep steering...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »
A

Bluewatervet [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2014, 01:31:38 PM »
B

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2014, 01:39:06 PM »
Its a bit before my time but I think that may be a old school after market toyota non high steer cross over system? if it is there are others here that will be able to tell you all about it.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2014, 01:40:47 PM »
what ever it is im sure high steer would be an up grade.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

Bluewatervet [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2014, 01:45:14 PM »
Ok thanks for the info... Hope one of those guys see's this and replys.

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2014, 08:16:27 PM »
old school crossover setup, heims on the drag link, basic tie rod ends on the tie rod, if u like it keep it, if not ditch it for some more traditional toyota high steer,  u can always sell that setup to someone who wants something just to get started.
low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

Bluewatervet [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2014, 05:34:10 AM »
It really doesn't bother me, I just need to replace some of the joints cause I am more than sure they are bad. Figured if cost of joints ran more than half way to a high steer I would just get the high steer. As there isn't any where local to go do real wheeling (mud as far as the eye can see here), it will probably do a lot of sitting till I get the whole thing squared away to my liking.
Now correct me if I am wrong but the drag link goes from the frame to the top of the axle right? Never looked into these on my last Toyota since it just had beefed up stock steering.
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2014, 05:55:31 AM by Bluewatervet »

Bluewatervet [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2014, 05:57:23 AM »
These are the joints that I think are bad, you can grab with your hand and twist and it will rotate about 1/8 of a turn.

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2014, 06:30:30 AM »
your draglink goes from steering box, or technically from pitman arm to passenger steering arm
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2014, 10:15:15 AM »
your draglink goes from steering box, or technically from pitman arm to passenger steering arm

But what you are looking at is what you tried to describe.  Pitman Arm (Attached to Steering Box mounted on driverside frame) to the Passenger Side Steering Arm (Connecter to your passenger steering knuckle, which is connected to your axle).

The tie rod would be the one connecting the passenger to driverside steering arms.  Steering Wheel>Steering Column>Steering Box>Pitman Arm>Draglink>Passenge Side Steering Knuckle>Tie Rod>Drivers Side Steering Knuckle.

And the joints you saying are loose are your Tie Rod Ends.  I'm not familiar with your cross-over kit but you will need to find out if they are the stock size or not so you can buy the correct ones.  You will also need to verify that 2 are RH Thread and 2 are LH Thread.  That's the only way I have seen them, but I know there are other thread styles out there.

You will also want to familiarize yourself with doing the toe-in alignment or just pay a shop to do it for you.

I will' be doing all this in about a week on my truck.  I might do a write up, but I know there are already really good ones out there.

Good luck and nice truck!!
If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2014, 05:32:11 PM »
As mentioned, this is a standard mid to late 90s Toyota Crossover Steering system, and based on your 2nd picture and the heim joints, this is a 2nd generation All Pro kit (can you attach a larger picture of the passenger side arm please?).

For a bit of history, Marlin was the first to develop a commercial Crossover Kit in 1996, using a two piece welded passenger side arm, and then All Pro was the first to make one piece passenger side arms that fit with Marlin's kit. All Pro soon began selling their own kit and used heim joints to differentiate themselves. We do not like hemi joints at all because they are not DOT approved, are highly susceptible to corrosion (rust, debris getting inside, etc), and are not as reliable as OEM Toyota type sealed tie rod ends.

They should be using Marlin's original TRE design of 23mm X 1.50mm which is compatible with our OEM Toyota type TREs. Take a look here: https://www.marlincrawler.com/steering/parts/tie-rod-ends

There really isn't anything wrong with keeping the kit you have. It is probably from 1997/98. Around 1998/99 All Pro created the first High Steer kit where they moved the drag link up and above the leaf springs. So long as you don't run straight into a rock or tree stump that is at axle height, you're perfectly fine :thumbs: I'm just not a fan of goofy heim joints so get rid of em!

If you are looking to sell it and change to high steer, then I encourage you to consider our 25mm technology: https://www.marlincrawler.com/steering/high-steer/25mm-steering-upgrade-kit-w-arms#25mmkit Our machine shop is making more Billet high steer arms for us as I type so it shouldn't be much longer until ours goes back in stock :driving:

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2014, 05:41:15 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2014, 07:41:56 PM »
Schooled me, lol

Guess it shows how much I know.   :gap: :gap: :gap:
If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.

Bluewatervet [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2014, 08:01:46 PM »
Thanks for the knowledge. I'll have to take a closer look at the links.

Bluewatervet [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 2014, 10:44:03 AM »
Just a thought, if I got a single arm for a high steer for driver side do you think I could put a link under the top portion of steering arm and get the same result?
This is the passenger side steering arm I have(first picture)

This is what I am thinking about doing(second picture)

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 04, 2014, 11:19:57 AM »
These are the joints that I think are bad, you can grab with your hand and twist and it will rotate about 1/8 of a turn.

those are heim joints, they arnt loose the play in them is normal, i have them on all of my steering on my 87 1 ton runner and yes u can rotate them by hand a bit.

thats a cool setup though, dont see it much often anymore on the trails.

also, while your doing steering, PLATE THE FRAME WHERE THE STEERING BOX IS, very very worth it then having your box rip out, saw it at MCR this year happen on a 3rd gen without a frame plate kit.
low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

Bluewatervet [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 04, 2014, 02:52:37 PM »
Your talking about the steering box kit or the frame brace that would run across outside of frame?
First or second picture is what I was thinking?

Part of the wobble that I believe is coming from my steering might have something to due with the fact that my rod ends have been welded.... (Yay) the guy I bought this from has no business building any thing more complex than a pile of sand....
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2014, 03:30:45 PM by Bluewatervet »

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -196
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2014, 06:57:24 PM »
He's talking about the top picture. Post up some more pictures of this crapy work your talking about.

Bluewatervet [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2014, 09:24:58 AM »
Well I guess taking pictures on an iPhone automatically means picture size will be too large so the welded on end links I won't be able to post right now.. Should I just attempt to grind off welds and buy new links or just buy a marlink for now? I have some other areas I want to work on before I get to a high steer.

Bluewatervet [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 05, 2014, 12:56:58 PM »
Ok so here it is...

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 05, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »
The bar that I labeled in the picture is called a "Panhard Bar". It's purpose is to keep the front end from moving side to side when installed right. Yours is not installed right, it should be on the same plane as the axle/tierod. The way yours is set up, when the suspension cycles it will try and move the axle side to side causing "bump steer". They are not even necessary on leaf sprung front as the springs hold the front-end in place If you have some weird steering issues, take the bar off and see if that helps.

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Bluewatervet [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 05, 2014, 05:07:06 PM »
Ok cool I'll pull that thing off, never had a pan hard bar on my 85 4runner either. Might get lucky and be able to use those joints for something else.

Bluewatervet [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 06, 2014, 06:19:03 AM »
Panhard bar removed and interesting enough two full turns on each end and the heims came off... Don't think that was really going to do much, that being said looks like I will be upgrading my steering sooner than expected just to be on the safe side.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2014, 08:36:39 AM »
Ha! A panhard bar on a non-orbit-eye leaf spring setup. :ha_ha: Your bushings and shackles will thank you for removing it.

I wonder if the bolt connecting the heim at the pitman arm is passing through a proper straight bore hole for it or a tapered hole for a ball joint type tie rod end. Looks really sketchy.

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Bluewatervet [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2014, 11:12:45 AM »
I plan to fix all the crap and not done right work before actually putting her on the street. It's registered and all that but I won't put plates on it till I'm comfortable taking it around the block. So if it takes 6 months to get there that's fine, just want to do this rebuild right...

So what do you ll think, after having to redo almost all the work done cause of the crap job would you consider this a "Personally built truck?", "Or bought built truck?"

81 shortbed

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #25 on: Nov 06, 2014, 12:47:19 PM »
Personally rebuilt truck