Author Topic: Basic Suspension ?s  (Read 2796 times)

sarcazmo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Basic Suspension ?s
« on: May 02, 2014, 06:24:13 PM »
I have a 1983 toyota pickup that I really enjoy.  Initially I thought it was a stock suspension set up but upon further inspection it looks as if the shocks had been swapped out at some point although I'm unable to discern what type they are.

This rig is a DD/Trail/Camping/Hunting/Fishing rig.  Never take it on anything super gnarly and love its capabilities in its current form.  On a recent camping trip a fair bit of drivign along graded washboard roads occurred and the ride was ROUGH to say the least. Think vehicle paint shaker. The last 1/3 was basically one large rock garden and that was also pretty rough.

In doing some research it appears that OME suspension is very highly regarded.  I'm not expecting any miracles, but I'd like to retain stockish ride height and definitely smooth it out a bit.  I've got no experience with this and was wondering if you think the OME kit with the light springs/softer shocks would be what I'm looking for?  When I try to place some load on my current suspension there's almost no give at all.  I'd probably go ahead and get the entire kit, leafs, shocks, stabilizer etc.  (Sorry if I'm being vague, dont really know how to describe it, I'm using to riding mountain bikes that are softer sprung and get more progressive the deeper you get into the travel)

Not looking for miracles but a compromise between on and off road manners I think.  Would you guys recommend this or should I be looking at other products?

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,144
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Suspension ?s
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 07:38:40 PM »
If 2-2.5'' of lift is all you need I think old man emu is exactly what your looking for.  From the trucks ive seen running ome I would plan on moving the rear shackle hanger forward for better angle/softer ride, just my  :twocents:. Ome is quality stuff, the only stock length bolt on suspension to consider :thumbs:
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 07:42:32 PM »
Drive faster on the washboard roads............

You'll hit float speed, and the ride smooths out..........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

sarcazmo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 08:59:21 AM »

Had no idea where I was going.  First time in that area so I was following my buddy. :D

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 12:36:20 PM »
did u air down a bit?

and OME stuff is really good, if my truck was stock still and i just wanted some lift and great ride i would get those, plus they just continue to ride better after they break in more.
low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

sarcazmo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 02:26:27 PM »
did u air down a bit?

and OME stuff is really good, if my truck was stock still and i just wanted some lift and great ride i would get those, plus they just continue to ride better after they break in more.

I did air down a little bit.  Glad you guys are confirming the choice.  I've read a few people saying theyre still pretty stiff but I think perhaps they ordered the HD springs/shocks.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,728
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 03:35:34 PM »
I have the heavy duty OME kit on my 4runner right now and I love the minimal lift height. The ride is like a Cadillac In comparison to stock. I took it to the rubicon last year for the roundup. It flexed WAY better than I would have guessed. For what you are looking for it is definately the right choice. I am running the bilstein shocks but I have heard great things about the OME shocks. The reason I went with the heavy duty kit is because I have a steel plate front and rear bumper with a winch and usually have quite a bit of cargo with me. I don't think it changes the ride quality. I do think they might be a bit taller than the light duty ones. Since you are trying to keep your ride height to a minimum I agree you should go with the light duty setup.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 03:46:59 PM »
The difference in rear for the OME HD vs normal is 1 leaf.

Removing the longest leaf that isn't wrapped turns the HD into the normal.

There is a very small price difference, so it's cheaper to get the HD now if you ever think you'll need that extra leaf for later.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

sarcazmo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 03:51:41 PM »
I was going to buy the whole kit but am now curious about shock choices.  It seems OME and the Bilsteins are both highly praised.  Are there any major differences?  Or should I just stick to the plan?

Dont really ever plan on modifying this truck much more.  Love the stock look and it'll never be a serious crawler. 

Also thanks for posting the first hand experiences!  3 paychecks in May and I know where the 3rd one is going...

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 01:23:32 AM »

While this is true, airing down to around 10-15psi(varies depending on tire size, AT vs MT) will give you a better overall ride when off pavement.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 02:51:01 AM »
While this is true, airing down to around 10-15psi(varies depending on tire size, AT vs MT) will give you a better overall ride when off pavement.

I agree 100%.
Honestly, we have a lot of dirt roads that we travel on.  Some of them are really washboard like.  I don't think i have gone in anybody's truck that was smooth with full tire pressure.

Usually when we take the toyotas out we are aired down pretty low anyways 8-12psi (of course that changes too,  lower for snow, etc..)  That is the only thing i have ever done to help the ride quality out offroad.   

Just weigh your choices.. obviously im not gonna hop out of the truck and air down the tires just for a small patch of bumpy road if the rest of the drive will be smooth or on pavement, but generally if i know im going to be offroad all day then there is no questions asked, my tires will be ~10psi or less.