Author Topic: 83 Toyota Pricing And Stuff  (Read 1672 times)

ViralCompton

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
83 Toyota Pricing And Stuff
« on: Apr 07, 2014, 05:21:45 PM »
So i am looking for a truck and after lots of arguments with my father i will be getting a small 4 banger toyota, no lie they are really col but to be honest i wanted an old suburban with a lift, but that is besides the point, i was wondering if a nice looking 83 toyota is worth 7,000 USD (United States Dollars) and it seems like to much, i might be able to work the price down, im looking for details on it right now and talking with the man selling it, all i know is it has original paint in nice condition a litle faded, is a two door regular cab, standard transmission, has an old carb 22R engine, and probably has an aftermarket lift, along with larger tires.I will try and post an image, it is nice and looks pretty good but i feel like the price is terrible for an old toyota, i mean i love the old things its just not alot of car for something im going to restore later and be a nice drive around truck and small mudding trip truck.

So all im wondering is if the price is right and if i do get it and put a few aftermarket items on it will it tow a small trailer or a small pop-up trailer.

Thanks just joined hopefully my first car will be a 4 banger toyota pickup well see thanks for the support
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2014, 05:35:01 PM by ViralCompton »

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: 83 Toyota Pricing And Stuff
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2014, 10:10:15 PM »
Welcome to Marlin. 

As for the cost of a Toyota.  It's all in what the buyer is willing to pay.  Yeah, $7000 is a bit steep.  Some guys think that they are sitting on gold.  I wouldn't hesitate on using a Toyota for all my needs.  Yes, I would love to have a full size to take care of things, but 14 mpg vs 20 mpg, I'll take my Toyota.  I've done things with my truck, and people will look at me and say, there is no way that truck will even get going.  And yet I take off and wave at them as I drive by.  Your not gonna break any land speed records with a 22R motor, but reliability is key.  I'm getting ready to do a 800 mile round trip in a couple weeks.  And my greatest concern is going to be how am I gonna get everything I need, loaded in the back, without it being stacked cab high? 

I would look around and find a Toyota in the $3-5000 range.  Just be patient, because the right one will come along for the right price.  As for pulling a trailer, it will slow you down.  The 22R series is barely putting out 110hp.  But a good header, and a good tuned carb, you could squeeze more out of it.  I'm running a 22RE stock, and I will pull a old pickup bed trailer I have with a yard of rock in it.  It will be slow starting out, but once you get rolling it will run good, until you climb a hill. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2014, 10:14:56 AM »
what area are you in? i have noticed prices vary greatly due to geographic location.

For northern california where i live i think 7000 is steep for a 83 but without pictures that is speculation.

I have a 83 that is more built but probably not as clean  and i would value it around 4500ish but that is with dual cases, 37's gear and lockers and a bunch of other work done to it.

for a stock shtreetable 83 that is relatively clean i would guess cheesemaker is right on in the 3-5k range.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,728
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2014, 10:31:33 AM »
For $7000 I would expect a lot of nice equipment, a decent interior and paint job.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2014, 02:50:54 PM »
not my thread but a good comparison in the for sale section in colorado:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96509.msg0;topicseen#new

personally i think around here in northern CA that truck would have sold in a heart beat at that price.

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.