Author Topic: 3RZ IFS exhaust solution?  (Read 5711 times)

Zelephant

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
3RZ IFS exhaust solution?
« on: Sep 03, 2013, 07:08:39 PM »
So I'm just another newb with a 3RZ swap in progress; seems to be a lot of those coming and going around here. But the unique angle to my project is that I will be keeping the IFS. My question to the wise men here is: has anyone come up with an exhaust solution for a swap like this before? I already have a Doug Thorley header, and I'm trying to decide between building a cross-over pipe above the bell or squeezing it underneath between the front driveshaft and the bell. I know once I start messing with it I'll figure something out, but no sense making life harder for myself if it's already been done successfully. I searched and came up empty.

And to those who might be wondering, I already solved the oil pan problem, the 3RZ is sitting in the bay now. I built a 3RZ/22RE hybrid pan with a universal Moroso dipstick and stuffed the T100 rear sump oil pickup inside.

Thanks!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: 3RZ IFS exhaust solution?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »
Most people have just routed it down along the bellhousing.  You can do the over the bellhousing, if you have a body lift.  But that would put alot more heat really close to the floor boards, right along where your feet would reside. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2013, 10:23:08 PM »
I did mine by crossing over right below the cv at the rear case. Was my best option.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2013, 07:33:09 AM »
It all depends if he has to pass a smog ref.  Some of you Cali guys started with trucks that were diesels.  So, no smogging for you.    :wink2:

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Zelephant [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2013, 10:10:02 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

I do have a 1" body lift, so over-the-top is not out of the question. I was concerned about being able to make the tight bend right after the header with 2.25" pipe. Also, I'm worried about the heat buildup at the back of the block; I've heard that's why 3VZ headgaskets blow so fast. If I drop down, the clearance between the front driveshaft and the bell looks tight.

I'll look at crossing over further back, but I am also running an auto, and I think the tranny cooler gets in the way.

And no, I don't have smog to contend with. So long as I have a cat and no CEL I think I can get it through.

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 680
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2013, 05:54:09 PM »
Mine runs down passenger side, no problem. I have the Doug Thorley short header. But then a I moved the gas tank to the drivers side and used all the Taco stock fuel lines.  :greengrin:
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2013, 06:00:45 PM by R.DesJardin »
R.DesJardin
"If I didn't live in the middle of nowhere!"

2RZ-A340F-Duals-locked FR/RR-IROK's

HogCanyonHopper

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 7319
  • Male Posts: 1,224
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88478.0
Where are we going? And why are we in a handbasket?

My friend is goin to moan this weekend - RockcrawlinJK

Zelephant [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2013, 07:06:47 PM »
The issue lies in the IFS. The front driveshaft sticks much closer to the drivetrain than on a lifted SFA truck. Squeezing the pipe above it will be tight, if it's possible at all. No, I don't wanna SAS.

R.DesJardin: There's a heat exchanger for the tranny right where the exhaust would run down the passenger side. Maybe the older rigs were not equipped with it? And yeah, my fuel lines and gas tank shall remain on the passenger side, so the exhaust must cross over eventually. ;)

I've ordered some 2.25" J-bends. Once I start mocking it up I think the least painful route will make itself clear. Still shaping up to be a challenge.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2013, 12:58:16 PM »
Hey guys it's a lot different with an IFS setup. OP I've never done one nor seen one finished, but I suggest contacting both ifssucks and Morpheine, both who were undergoing IFS 3RZ-swaps but two things to note: 1) We don't know if they ever finished them, and 2) They both haven't been online in over 7 years :down: Morpheine did start a build thread located here but iffsucks only sparingly discussed his swap intermingled within my own swap thread so it will take some time to search and try to complile his notes.

Sorry I don't have any advice, wish the best of luck!
Mike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Zelephant [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2013, 03:44:31 PM »
Hey guys it's a lot different with an IFS setup. OP I've never done one nor seen one finished, but I suggest contacting both ifssucks and Morpheine, both who were undergoing IFS 3RZ-swaps but two things to note: 1) We don't know if they ever finished them, and 2) They both haven't been online in over 7 years :down: Morpheine did start a build thread located here but iffsucks only sparingly discussed his swap intermingled within my own swap thread so it will take some time to search and try to complile his notes.

Sorry I don't have any advice, wish the best of luck!
Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply, that helps a lot! I appreciate you chasing down the links for me. I'll see what I can dig up though them, but if I have to blaze a trail, so be it. If I wanted an easy build I'd buy a Jeep.

And I have your MR2 build open in another tab right now. Nice car! Wish there were more AW11s being built. They're very underrated, like a lot of Toyota sports cars.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 05, 2013, 04:37:08 PM »
Hi Mike, thanks for the reply, that helps a lot! I appreciate you chasing down the links for me. I'll see what I can dig up though them, but if I have to blaze a trail, so be it. If I wanted an easy build I'd buy a Jeep.
Sure thing! If you open my build thread you can enter "ifssucks" into the search field and using the "Current Topic" option the site will return most of his posts (search terms being found via quotes of his posts). I don't recall exactly how much info he provided as it was quite a while ago, but I recall exhaust being an issue.

And I have your MR2 build open in another tab right now. Nice car! Wish there were more AW11s being built. They're very underrated, like a lot of Toyota sports cars.
Haha thanks man!! ;) I love my AW11. It's my first car I ever owned, got it for $350 with a blown engine Superbowl Sunday Jan 31st, 1999 :gap: The Falcons loss was my gain :yupyup:

The opening post to my rebirth thread discusses the brief history of what I've done to it with this being the highlight: http://bigmike.marlincrawler.com/stage2_5/index.html Currently she is back to a stock SC engine, dynoed at 150 wheel HP, weighs a hair under 2,300 lbs, and with the 6-speed it returns 31 miles per gallon on my weekly commute to the bay area and back :thumbs: It's not fast at the moment but is incredibly quick and of course fun to drive; I can't ever see myself giving her up! The new cars I've been in seem to be missing that driver's-car touch!

I think if I ever build another car it will be a Mango like this, this, or this. No smog regulations (early 70s), lighter than my MR2; I'd probably run a Supercharged 2ZZ-GE with a SDS or Mega/MicroSquirt EFI. That would be a blast!

BigMike

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 07, 2013, 07:23:23 AM »
As far as the tranny cooler, not that hard to move it or upgrade to a bigger cooler in front of the radiator.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Zelephant [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 07, 2013, 12:59:56 PM »
Haha thanks man!! ;) I love my AW11. It's my first car I ever owned, got it for $350 with a blown engine Superbowl Sunday Jan 31st, 1999 :gap: The Falcons loss was my gain :yupyup:

The opening post to my rebirth thread discusses the brief history of what I've done to it with this being the highlight: http://bigmike.marlincrawler.com/stage2_5/index.html Currently she is back to a stock SC engine, dynoed at 150 wheel HP, weighs a hair under 2,300 lbs, and with the 6-speed it returns 31 miles per gallon on my weekly commute to the bay area and back :thumbs: It's not fast at the moment but is incredibly quick and of course fun to drive; I can't ever see myself giving her up! The new cars I've been in seem to be missing that driver's-car touch!
Believe me, I hear you loud and clear on that. If you didn't see my intro thread, my other car beside my 4Runner is an '84 RA65 Celica GT-S. Next year when the 4Runner's buttoned up I'd like to do coilovers and an ITB build on the Celica's 22RE. It's not fast, but even in stock form, it feels amazing when I get the chance to throw it around the twisties. I really feel the Mk.III Celica is a lost gem. It has the weight and balance of an AE86 but with more grip from the Supra IRS, and the bulletproof reliabilty of the 22RE (which feels quicker in a car that small) mated to a Supra-spec drivetrain.

I think if I ever build another car it will be a Mango like this, this, or this. No smog regulations (early 70s), lighter than my MR2; I'd probably run a Supercharged 2ZZ-GE with a SDS or Mega/MicroSquirt EFI. That would be a blast!
2ZZ is a transverse engine IIRC; is it that easy to bolt it up inline?

OOPS: I will look into relocating the heat exchanger. That might actually simplify a lot. Thanks!

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 09, 2013, 10:37:06 AM »
As far as the tranny cooler, not that hard to move it or upgrade to a bigger cooler in front of the radiator.
This is what I did with mine (using an Auto cooler for my Power Steering):

Believe me, I hear you loud and clear on that. If you didn't see my intro thread, my other car beside my 4Runner is an '84 RA65 Celica GT-S. Next year when the 4Runner's buttoned up I'd like to do coilovers and an ITB build on the Celica's 22RE. It's not fast, but even in stock form, it feels amazing when I get the chance to throw it around the twisties. I really feel the Mk.III Celica is a lost gem.
I just checked out your Celica! Man that is a nice, clean find! I like the wheels you later installed, nice touch.

It has the weight and balance of an AE86 but with more grip from the Supra IRS, and the bulletproof reliabilty of the 22RE (which feels quicker in a car that small) mated to a Supra-spec drivetrain.
I can understand the balance, but the weight? An AE86 (in coupe form) is even lighter than my MR2 at around 2200 lbs. I see on Wikipedia the MK3 Celica is listed as 2,300, but another site http://www.celica-gts.com/mycar/technical_specs.html lists it as 2700 lbs. I found this thread listing 1983 Brochure specs in the 2500-2700 range. Have you weighed your car yet?

Also I do agree the IRS is better for handling and that's sweet the Celica has it :-)

2ZZ is a transverse engine IIRC; is it that easy to bolt it up inline?
Nothing easy that I know of. I would just tig weld two bell housings together. It would be so cool--

BigMike

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 09, 2013, 10:56:41 AM »
Most aftermarket radiators have built in cooling tubes for slushboxes already built in. 

Zelephant [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 10, 2013, 03:24:25 PM »
I just checked out your Celica! Man that is a nice, clean find! I like the wheels you later installed, nice touch.
I can understand the balance, but the weight? An AE86 (in coupe form) is even lighter than my MR2 at around 2200 lbs. I see on Wikipedia the MK3 Celica is listed as 2,300, but another site http://www.celica-gts.com/mycar/technical_specs.html lists it as 2700 lbs. I found this thread listing 1983 Brochure specs in the 2500-2700 range. Have you weighed your car yet?

Honestly, I've only ever gone off the Wiki numbers. But I see now why those could be called into question.

Dang, she's heavier than I thought. But I still love my car.  :love:

About the tranny cooler, it's different than the two soft lines that plug into the radiator, I've got those. The lines running to the cooler are big, woven, banjo-bolted jobs. Not easy to remove or replace. I did some research, apparently it's dedicated to cooling the integrated hydraulic t-case on the A340H.
Luckily, I don't think I'll have to touch it. I got the exhaust J-bends in, and I think the pipe will fit between the bell and the front driveshaft. It'll be tight, but I'll load it with hangers to try and minimize vibration. I'll update this thread with pics of whatever I come up with.