Author Topic: Noise coming from my drivetrain when off the throttle  (Read 2656 times)

toyotaman83

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4
  • Member since Aug '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Noise coming from my drivetrain when off the throttle
« on: Aug 27, 2013, 09:59:57 AM »
I'm just finishing up the longest build ever.  I have a 1990 Toyota 4runner, I have swapped in a 4.3 Vortec.  This build has been a budget build when it can be.  So the drive train is as follows.  4.3 Vortec, AA bellhousing adapter, Stock R150, AA T-case adapter, Reduction box, Trail-gear adapter, 4.0 Marlin rear case and gears.  I have swapped in a solid axle, running 37" Iroks, near 10" of lift.  So i've been driving it up the street working out the bugs.  No noise when i'm on the throttle, when i get off I'm experiencing a clicky gear noise.  When i get back on it goes away.  I have listened with a stethoscope and it seems to be near the back of the tranny/reduction T-case but its hard to say.  Could a C-clip have come off? Do I have a gear floating?  Anybody else experience this?  I did clearance the back case for the Marlin gears. 

toyotaman83 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
If I push in the clutch and unload the drive-train while coasting thats when i hear the clicky gear noise.

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
I have nowhere near the mods you do but, I had drive train noise at part throttle or coasting after lifting my truck. Sounded like trans or t-case about to eat a bearing.

Long story short....CV in the rear drive line cured it.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Yeah, you need a cv joint in the rear.

toyotaman83 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have a Solid Axle CV on the Front and a IFS CV on the rear, I'll look into the rear CV.  Maybe its still not enough?  I have the stock Axle in the rear still running coils.  5.5 Fj80 coils, 2" spacers, allpro links and other misc brackets.  Pinion angle isn't the best. Maybe i'll pull the rear driveshaft and try running just the front and see if it does it?

HogCanyonHopper

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 7319
  • Male Posts: 1,224
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
you need a double cardan joint behind the transfer case and point your pinion on rear diff right at the t-case  :thumbs:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88478.0
Where are we going? And why are we in a handbasket?

My friend is goin to moan this weekend - RockcrawlinJK

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
  Pinion angle isn't the best.
This is where I would start.

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

toyotaman83 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Okay, I will look into the driveshaft being the issue.  Like I said I do have a CV also known and double cardan joint.  It is however a IFS version with less degrees of movement.  Also the rear axle is pretty fixed with all the brackets in place. (Stock Linked)  I was under the assumtion the 4runner driveshaft had major degrees of flex at the diff end?