Author Topic: Tiberius The '04 Double Cab  (Read 11652 times)

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 428
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Tiberius The '04 Double Cab
« on: Feb 04, 2013, 11:31:02 AM »
I finally got my dream truck! Almost 10 years of searching endlessly through craigslist and KSL and dreaming of owning a 4 door and it pretty much fell into my lap. I wish I could say that I pinched pennies and earned it fair and square, but alas, this is more a story of pure dumb luck and Family charity and gift giving. I received for Christmas 2012 a 1998 Ford F-150 extra cab from a great uncle of mine who owned a pipe supply company. He's always got new trucks coming through and somehow this little black f-150 had been forgotten most of the time, and as such only had 56,000 original miles on it. I was thrilled and extremely grateful to have it… that is, until the problems started… It started with misfiring and replacing the spark plugs and moved to overheating and new coil packs and lead into a string of problems and supercilious repairs… all in the first month I owned it. Soon after throwing more money into it with no results and I had had enough. My Toyotas can break down all they like, and I have almost unlimited patience for them, but I had no such love for the Ford. It had to go, and I traded it in and sold my '85 4Runner for a 2004 Tacoma 4-door TRD. It has a salvage title, but everything seems on the up and up and the previous owner says he hasn't had any problems from it in the last 130,000 miles since it was fixed. And thus, Tiberius came into my possession. It’s just about stock right now and I’m ok with that for now. But future plans involve a tiny bit of lift (maybe 2”-3”) and slightly bigger tires, but not much more than that in the mechanical department. Mostly I’ll be installing an aftermarket radio and my trademark CB radio… possibly some dual antennas. Maybe dual t cases sometime in the future… but for now I’m enjoying the steady 20 MPG and power of the 3.4 v6…

« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2013, 11:41:15 AM by Mega Mormon »
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Tiberius The '04 Double Cab
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2013, 11:38:45 AM »
First order of business was a little bit of sticker customization. I got this a while back with the intentions of putting it on my old '85 4Runner but i never got around to it... but it looks AWESOME on my Tacoma...

My truck doesn't have the TRD stickers on the back panel, but i think someone swapped the bed in the past with a non-TRD model. But i like it without the back panel stickers anyways... Mine is much cooler looking!

The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2013, 12:13:51 PM »
The second thing i did was correct the frost and yellowing headlights. It wasn't too bad, but i know these first gen Tacoma's are prone to cloudy headlights and I HATE cloudy headlights! Here's a little step by step if you're interested in seeing the process.

first up, get yourself one of these:

$20 at O'reilly and you're good to go. Also, you'll need a drill or some kind of quickly spinning contraption.

You can pretty much just follow the directions in the box, but the steps are to start with 500 grit sandpaper and sand the lenses. Then you gradually move to finer and finer sandpaper and finally polish. If you wanted to save money you can just get normal sandpaper and sand it by hand. First with 500 grit, then 800, and finally 3000. Then you polish it with a polishing pad and a polishing compound.

Before Starting:

After the 500 grit:

the 800 grit paper and my drill setup:

the final result:

it's much clearer, but something was still off.

The passengers side is still a lot darker:

Turns out the rubber dust cover that keeps dust out of the housing was missing and there was a BUNCH of dust inside. so then this happened:

I removed the headlight and took it inside to clean. Usually to really scrub it out you would have to heat up the glue holding the lens onto the rest of the housing... but i just put some soap and warm water in the housing and swished it around and then dried it out with my wifes hair dryer. Worked like a charm!

The headlights are a LOT brighter now! I also put in some "Sylvania Silverlight Gold" headlights in, and they make a HUGE difference!

My Old Toy

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2013, 12:36:01 PM »
nice clean truck....  I have never given these headlights much thougt.... Good wrideup
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arbīs  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2013, 06:27:17 PM »
Sweet Ride.  Put a lift kit on and say goodbye to your 20 mpg...  I wish I got that.

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1331
  • Male Posts: 4,482
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2013, 08:37:22 PM »
I dream of owning a 4 door pickup.  But that is a long way off in the future.  Nice truck. 

As for the headlight polishing.  I did the same thing on the wifes van.  And I guarantee you will be back to polishing them again in the near future.  What I did was after polishing, put on about a dozen coats of Carnuba Wax.  This helps slow down the haze returning.  Then a buddy of mine who is in the body shop business told me the best way is to polish them and have them clear coated.  He told me this, after I bought some OEM housings off Amazon.  They weren't the best ones, but they were better than what I had, and it got the wife off my back.   :thumbs:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2013, 11:14:51 PM »
Then a buddy of mine who is in the body shop business told me the best way is to polish them and have them clear coated.

I might have to go talk to my father in law... he's got the hook ups for clear coat!
My Old Toy

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:01:54 PM »
I have pretty much given up on keeping mine clear... I bought the inexpensive kit (which involves sanding by hand).  It's too much effort to do it... The drill idea is awesome.  I don't remember seeing that kit when I bought mine. 

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:42:36 AM »
Made some more modifications over the weekend... I kept my old CB radio out of my 4runner when i sold it, and i loved the reception i got with it so i immediately started making plans to put it in my new tacoma. I took the old radio out and with some slight modification to the plastic bezel and the metal mounting brackets and was able to mount it right below my new radio. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The radio isn't completely set up yet as i still have to mount the CB antenna ( for some reason i'm having troubles convincing myself that i should drill out a hole in the rear panel to mount my ball antenna mount like i did with my 4Runner...) before it's completely working...

If you look up near the rear view mirror you can also see the microphone for the stereo that uses the bluetooth in the radio for hands free... That's been pretty nice and handy as well... Running the wire up to it was also surprisingly easy. Also, It's a weird feeling coming from my old 4Runner to be able to use something like hands-free in the vehicle because i'm used to it being so loud that you could barely hear anything...

I have build pictures i might put up later if anyone else is trying to put a Bearcat 880 CB radio in their own vehicle...
My Old Toy

Cheesemaker

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2013, 08:15:56 PM »
Nice clean look.  If you don't want to drill any holes in your rig.   There are other options.

Like a stake pocket style:  http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-ss194a-stainless-steel-stake-hole-pocket-mount-p-310.html?cPath=377_28_433

Or on my Nissan I had with a canopy, I bought a long flat stainless cb mount, and bent it 90* and bolted it to the inside lip of the bed rail, and had it hang out over the bed side.  Since you have a tonneau cover.

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2013, 08:26:48 PM »
Nice clean look.  If you don't want to drill any holes in your rig.   There are other options.

Like a stake pocket style:  http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-ss194a-stainless-steel-stake-hole-pocket-mount-p-310.html?cPath=377_28_433

Or on my Nissan I had with a canopy, I bought a long flat stainless cb mount, and bent it 90* and bolted it to the inside lip of the bed rail, and had it hang out over the bed side.  Since you have a tonneau cover.

I wasn't planning on drilling any holes and then my buddy had a pretty good idea about where to mount my antenna so i went for it... I'm uploading the pictures now...
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2013, 08:40:35 PM »
I was considering many different mounting locations for my antenna, but i didn't want to drill any holes in my truck... but that went out the window and i ended up mounting the antenna with a ball mount directly under the back window. I always noticed there was a big gap between the bottom of the rear window and the top of the bed, but i never considered it as a mounting location. Mounting was surprisingly easy and there is easy access to the back of the sheet metal if you remove the plastic piece and fold down the carpeting behind the back seats... Any-who... here's the pictures.

My favorite part of this CB radio setup has got to be the color changing feature of the Uniden Bearcat 880. At night it really makes the truck feel a lot nicer not having 3 different color devices flashing at you... and it really tickles my pickle with how clean this radio installs in the dash.

My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2013, 02:30:13 PM »
Yota87Truck came on up to Idaho last weekend and helped me complete a timing belt swap... along with a new water pump, new thermostat, new belts, coolant flush, oil change, and a mild dip-stick repair. I bought this kit which i like because it's all OEM parts. It all went so smooth that i didn't really believe that we'd really finished it by the end... I didn't even have any time to take any pictures! This pic that Yota87Truck took is the only photographic evidence i have:

Honestly, this is the ONLY vehicle repair I've ever done that i didn't bloody some part of me working on it! I'm kind of worried i'm going to have to pay for it in some other way down the road.  :sheerterror:
The old timing belt wasn't in too bad of shape, and it probably could of gone another couple thousand miles no problem. The truck had 159,000 miles on it and we think that was the original timing belt... not bad Toyota!
My Old Toy

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 1789
  • Male Posts: 18,126
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
Wow cool story and really nice truck! That's my favorite Taco body style :thumbs: :driving:

Sent via Tapatalk
New Instagram: @SlowestTacoma

Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Triple T/Case 3rd gen Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Cheesemaker

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2013, 09:59:18 PM »
If I were to buy a newer Toyota, it would definitely like yours.  I love the four door Taco's.  Co-worker has one, and its the same color too.  It's got to be the cleanest of all the Taco lineups. 

KungFuBowler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 14
  • Member since Mar '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 20, 2013, 03:24:10 PM »

Nice.  It's always a pet peeve of mine when they don't match.  It's not that easy to achieve though.

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1089
  • Male Posts: 1,257
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.prisonplanet.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2013, 03:34:07 PM »
Nice truck :)

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2014, 07:36:02 PM »
Been almost a year since i posted anything in here, so figured I'd throw out some updates. Last time we left our hero, I'd done the timing chain and the cb...

I got into some mud:

I utilized the whole 5' of bed!

Reconnected with a lost lover

and saw some sights...

My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #18 on: Mar 25, 2014, 07:41:35 PM »
By far one of my favorite mods this year was a Tundra brake swap. After my rotors were warped I decided to go ahead and upgrade in anticipation of future 35" tires (that i'm still working towards). After a bunch of research and a bit of work my braking power was greatly increased. I recommend the mod, and haven't had any problems in the year since I did it.

so shiny :bowdown:
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #19 on: Mar 25, 2014, 07:42:37 PM »
This is one of my favorite photos... I call it, "When my wife drives the truck"

It never fails... it happens every time...
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #20 on: Mar 25, 2014, 07:44:28 PM »
I also upgraded the rims and tires for $750

My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #21 on: Mar 25, 2014, 07:47:28 PM »
My hood was chipped and small rust spots were appearing so i applied a few quick coats of plasti-dip. I have plans to finish the rest of the truck, but my laziness might get the best of me...

My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #22 on: Mar 25, 2014, 07:58:19 PM »
I installed a 1" body lift from 4crawler and i was pretty happy with how it turned out. I'm not a fan of body lifts, but i'm ok with a 1" body lift, and i think it ended up ok. Most frustrating part was mixing up the directing of the steering wheel after installing the spacer, so when i drove home that night driving straight ahead meant my steering wheel looked like this:

But after i fixed that the next morning i was pretty happy with the results. Here's the before and after shots.

The only spot that would show the body lift, since the kit came with a spacer for the front bumper, was between the tailgate and the rear bumper.
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #23 on: Mar 25, 2014, 08:16:59 PM »
Then came the sliders... i wanted to wait until i had a body lift on the truck... they came off a friends truck with a 2" body lift, but they still fit pretty well.

My favorite part was after they were installed my wife was getting into the truck and asked, "Can I step on these?" My response was, "I sure as hell hope so or there's not much point to them..."
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #24 on: Mar 25, 2014, 08:24:57 PM »
Then, only yesterday, came my favorite mod. 2.5 inch suspension lift. Belistein shock spacers up front, and *cough* 2" blocks in the rear *cough*. The rear passengers side shock is next to useless, but the replacement set should be here in a couple days... hopefully...

My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #25 on: Mar 25, 2014, 08:29:40 PM »
As she sits today:

I like to think that company closed down just so i could take those pictures...
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #26 on: Mar 25, 2014, 08:34:08 PM »

« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2014, 02:44:14 AM by Mega Mormon »
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #27 on: Mar 25, 2014, 08:46:52 PM »
Side by side with Yota87Truck... he's still got a few inches on me...

My Old Toy

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2829
  • Male Posts: 8,726
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 26, 2014, 06:17:42 PM »
I really like that truck! the only thing that could make it better.... would be to SC it :)
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #29 on: Mar 27, 2014, 02:44:36 AM »
Standard Cab?
My Old Toy