Author Topic: please help vacuum piece unknown  (Read 3483 times)

81yota4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 103
  • Member since Sep '12
  • Thats a negative ghostrider the patern is full
    • View Profile
please help vacuum piece unknown
« on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:54:33 PM »
 :help: I have some major issues, I am trying to finish my 81 toyota pickup project that someone else started apon puting the engine componets back on the truck I have run in to a few snags 1st: there is a small vacuum sensor that comes out of the thermostate housing right next to where the upper rad hose connects its broke in half and none of the local parts houses here in Vegas know what it does or were to find it. I have looked on line and in the haynes book and found some similar parts but each one is a little different and range in price from 49.99 to 185.00 I can post pics but dont have them on hand now... the 2nd: is two of the spark plug holes have been stripped. I have searched online for some type of solution and also in the search here on marlin and have found a few suggestions but nothing that is a solid fix other then pulling the head and taking it to a shop which I dont have the money for right now...

Please help I am trying to get the rig done for the Easter safari in Moab Utah this march which will be her maiden voyage.

Thank you all very much for any thoughts, Ideas and help
LETS ROCK :driving: :burnout:

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
Re: please help vacuum piece unknown
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:41:52 PM »
im assuming your looking for thermal vacuum switch (makes vac go or no with coolant temp)  if you cant find em aftermarket for the toyota, they are just pipe thread, they have been using them for decades on even domestic vehicles.

been down this road before, for some reason its hard to find these parts for the 80's toyota but when you bump it up a bit... they are all the same... this is from a 1989 corrola and is part number borg werner ec2980 not sure if its exact but a good parts guy with good oldschool catalogs should be able to find or confirm your application....

as for the spark plug... lots of info out there, just have to use the right words in search, maybe 22r spark plug stripped, 22r spark plug heli coil

IF it was mine..  and the threads are just buggerd maybe a spark plug thread chaser

if they are gone to the point were you obviously cant fix them.. you can use a helicoil kit... good semi permanent fix, (only thing better would be steel insert by machine shop)

or, if yea just dont care, crank that plug in there and run it... previous owner of my 3.0 cross threaded 3 my plugs, i just reinstalled new ones because i didnt have the time to fix then... now 3 years later shes still going strong lol

Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

81yota4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:52:13 PM »
Awesome Bro that helps so much :bowdown: thank you a tone If your ever in Vegas hit me up I O U a :beer:

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:58:48 PM »
hope it helps....  FWIW....  toyota calls them the BVSV (Bimetal Vacuum Switching Valve) think they are like 48 bucks....

i  dont mess with factory carbs much but i dont believe its crucial to operation.... you might just block it off see what it does, same for just looping it, think it has something to to with the egr valve..(not charcoal canister like i thought)

personally i run a weber... only one vac line, but i have no emissions
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2013, 11:05:30 PM by bleakhorizon »

Tillamook, OR

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2013, 11:47:00 PM »
Do the vacuum lines run to the EGR system?

If they do, don't worry about it.    Connnect the 2 hose ends together.

If it's for the EGR, it just keeps the EGR from working until the engine warms up.   

The only thing that will happen is that the engine may run slightly rougher until it warms up.

If you have need smog tests, just make it look like it there and hooked up correctly...........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

81yota4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:56:46 PM »
Thank you again I don't have a carb on the truck yet as when I got it there was no carb, It has an offy intake manifold on it and I am having a hard time finding a carb to fit it. All the vacuum lines are still on the truck so I am thinking the person who had it before was running a stock carb or maybe because here in Las Vegas we do have smog. Most of the vacuum lines are not hooked to anything and still need to figure out whats what... I have a pretty good print out of the vacuum lines but with out the carb its hard to say if I have them right.

This may sum up a few things about truck, I work as a welder/fabricator for a towing company, the truck was impounded by the police as a stolen truck the owner never came to get it so I bought it from the owner of the company... missing Carb, exhaust manifold, rear shocks, ignition, Battery and cables, most the electrical has been yanked... I have always had a love for the first gen yota pickups but never had a chance to get one so didn't want to pass it up. On the plus side the engine is very clean and after pulling the head to check things out looks as if it was just rebuilt, body and interior is in great shape, bran new tires, wheels, Smitty built bumpers.

Oh and just found another complet first gen 4x4 pick up at the yard today that I may buy as well. Ill post a pick tomorrow it a nice rig...

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2013, 06:48:01 PM »
if nothing else grab some pictures of the vac line on the other 1st gen... can come in handy, alot easier than reading a vac diagram sometimes lol...

im not sure on this, but i thought that the offy intake only went to the weber carbs, or to the holly 2 and 4 bbl...  post up a pic of your intake. or a part number...

offy intakes can be found here, to know what carb fits them.

http://www.offyparts.com/index.php/cPath/1_25

lol... MIGHT be able to use a weber carb adaptor and turn it upside down lol.... but if you need to pass emissions, and need a factory carb, i would switch to factory intake

Tillamook, OR

81yota4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:44:45 PM »
I can probably get this for around $600.00 so I might just rob the parts I need off it... this one was impounded for dui so I know it runs lol.

81yota4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:59:22 PM »
im not sure on this, but i thought that the offy intake only went to the weber carbs, or to the holly 2 and 4 bbl...  post up a pic of your intake. or a part number...

offy intakes can be found here, to know what carb fits them.

http://www.offyparts.com/index.php/cPath/1_25
this is the Intake I have  Toyota: 1982-later 22R 2400cc Dual Port Stock 2 STG (6266DP)

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2013, 12:18:53 AM »
man, i need to get a job were you work lol....  looks like the red one might be running bad (black soot on the bed above exhaust)

i dont know for sure, but i believe that you may need an adapter to run a factory carb on that intake (if it had one they took it with the carb)  because the factory carburetor has a wider bolt pattern on one side compared to the other and the Weber the bolts are the same distance apart

Tillamook, OR

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2013, 12:23:22 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400347529464?rd=1&item=400347529464&viewitem=&sspagename=WDVW&category=33550&ih=027&vxp=mtr

this confirms its specifically for the Weber.... im not sure about the "emissions" tests they do in Vegas, but he must have been running one, or swaped it out to smog it

Tillamook, OR

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 426
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2013, 10:07:10 AM »
For the spark plugs, don't use Heli-Coil.  Find yourself a Time-Sert kit which has solid inserts and the proper seat for the spark plug to seal against.  Go to http://www.timesert.com/ and look up which kit you need, then check Ebay.

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2013, 10:08:46 AM »
I can probably get this for around $600.00 so I might just rob the parts I need off it... this one was impounded for dui so I know it runs lol.

Man, I'd love to be able to pick up a first-gen like that.

81yota4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2013, 12:53:30 PM »
For the spark plugs, don't use Heli-Coil.  Find yourself a Time-Sert kit which has solid inserts and the proper seat for the spark plug to seal against.  Go to http://www.timesert.com/ and look up which kit you need, then check Ebay.
ok cool thank you...
Man, I'd love to be able to pick up a first-gen like that.

I come across yotas all the time here at work not a lot of first gens but a lot of yotas and can usually get the for 1000 and under... If you know anyone looking for a 90 4x4 extra cab there's a really clean one here in my yard

tgmaul88

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 985
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Im still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:19:51 PM »
id buy that red yota

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »

yea.. i forget about these, ive used em before... work awesome...

Tillamook, OR

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2013, 09:54:44 PM »
if I had any money, I'd buy all the Toys that don't smog in Cali or Nevada.  Cause like Bleak said , we don't have to smog here.   :thumbs:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2013, 10:07:19 PM »
ok cool thank you... 
I come across yotas all the time here at work not a lot of first gens but a lot of yotas and can usually get the for 1000 and under... If you know anyone looking for a 90 4x4 extra cab there's a really clean one here in my yard

Is it a 22RE or 3.0?  Auto or manual? How much? You know the drill.  :greengrin:

81yota4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:58:23 PM »
Is it a 22RE or 3.0?  Auto or manual? How much? You know the drill.  :greengrin:

3.0, stick, small lift 32" tires solid aluminium wheels. I can post a pic Monday night I did notice the Odo 217k :nerv:
there was no battery in it so couldn't fire it to see how it runs.

81yota4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:04:13 PM »
id buy that red yota

if I had any money, I'd buy all the Toys that don't smog in Cali or Nevada.  Cause like Bleak said , we don't have to smog here.   :thumbs:
Well when it comes available for purchase I am going to try to get it, haven't decided if I am going to try to rob parts from the red one to get the black on going or just run the red but either way ill most likely be selling one of them after... Ill post up whats going on as soon as I figure it out.

81yota4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2013, 03:23:17 PM »
So I am looing at weber carbs on line and I was wondering if I could get your opinons as to which carb to run the two I am looking at are the 32/36 DGV or the 32/36 DGEV :confused:

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2013, 11:39:56 PM »
same carb, just the DGEV has an electric choke... DGV is manual.... I currently have a elec choke version, but Even with the colder temperatures were i am (compared to Vegas) I dont even need the choke.... my last truck with a weber i totally removed the choke plates and all.... 

If i was buying new, and they are the same price.. get electric choke.. IMHO

Tillamook, OR

81yota4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2013, 06:06:55 PM »
the electric is alike $10 or $20 bucks more... ok thank you still bouncing around how I am going to do everything.