Author Topic: Unknown Electrical Drain  (Read 1654 times)

supermat

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -105
  • Male Posts: 60
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • www.calfishing.com
Unknown Electrical Drain
« on: Mar 10, 2007, 08:10:15 AM »
Hey guys, its been quite a while since I last checked in! Hope all is well around the boards. I've got a bit of a problem and was hoping you could help me out. I've got an electrical drain that I can't seem to locate, then again, I really don't know where to start. When I leave the truck off I'm all good but as soon as I turn the key to "on" or I start the truck the battery drops very quickly. I checked the alternator and its all good so somewhere I've got a drain that is sucking out juice faster than the alternator can put it back! Ugh, I'm stuck. Help!  :help:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown Electrical Drain
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2007, 01:20:52 PM »
sounds like u have a short somewhere. good luck with that. i would start by checking wires everywhere for any frays or worn sections.... :dunno: if u dont find it maybe u could rig a battery kill switch..could double as a theft deterrent too
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2007, 06:34:48 PM »
i'm w/ DTB on this one.. probably have a short in your electircal... just start inspecting all your electrical and grounds.. make sure everythings making good contact and isn't corroded.

good luck.
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2007, 07:08:56 PM »
1st. Disconnect the battery and get a test light between the battery cable and the battery post.

If the light lights up you have a draw on the battery.

Make sure the doors are closed and the key is out. Then start pulling fuses one at a time till you find the one the draw is on. The light will not light up unless there is something drawing current through the the bulb.

This will narrow it down to that circut and help you figure it out.

A wiring diagram would be helpfull to see what is on the circut effected.

I would also unplug the alt and disconnect the battery cable to it. There is a chance you have a bad diode causing a drain. If you disconnect the alt and the light goes out you need to replace the alt.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2007, 08:49:46 PM »
1st. Disconnect the battery and get a test light between the battery cable and the battery post.

If the light lights up you have a draw on the battery.

Make sure the doors are closed and the key is out. Then start pulling fuses one at a time till you find the one the draw is on. The light will not light up unless there is something drawing current through the the bulb.

This will narrow it down to that circut and help you figure it out.

A wiring diagram would be helpfull to see what is on the circut effected.

I would also unplug the alt and disconnect the battery cable to it. There is a chance you have a bad diode causing a drain. If you disconnect the alt and the light goes out you need to replace the alt.

:imwithstupid:

Kinds sounds like your Batt. maybe shot. how old is it. have you let it run into the ground a bunch?
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
I with W.M. on this. We need to know what your working on? Is it EFI or not. If it is, you will have a small drain due to the ECU has to keep it's memory so you will have a draw but not enough to light a test light. Usually the ECU draws .5 amps or less which isn't enough to cause your battery to drain that fast unless you have a bad cell in your battery. Take your battery to your local parts store & have them load test it. Also, make sure the top of your battery is clean & dry with no corrosion. I have seen batteries drain due to the corrosion/acid build up on top of the battery. It will actually short across the top from positive to the negitive & cause the battery to drain. You can use a baking soda mixed with water & an old tooth brush to clean the connections  :crossed:  :twocents:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3