Author Topic: Rear leaf spring swap help.  (Read 7770 times)

firealj

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 113
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Rear leaf spring swap help.
« on: Jan 12, 2013, 10:36:38 AM »
im looking to fix that dreaded sag in mt 88 4runner. i know there's a lot of info on this but i was just wanting to get some real responces to how people like there path to this fix. I like a soft ride as much as possible but i do have to confess i will be loading this down pretty good i have a roof rack that will be under load as well i have a spare tire carrier and fuel off the bumper and may tow a small boat. also family and supplys. if anyone has a great set up that works well for what i discribed please respond back on how you did this and websites you bought from. lastly i like keeping my runner stockish only thing i do run is a 30 tire. thanks fellas.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: Rear leaf spring swap help.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2013, 11:41:16 AM »
It all depends on your wrenching skills are.  Some guys just go buy some junkyard leaf springs and mix and match till they get the ride, stance, and hauling rate they like.  Or you can call somebody like Alcan Springs and have a set made to your specific needs.  http://www.alcanspring.com/  I think there are a few others out there.   All-Pro is carrying expedition style leaf springs for Tacoma's only, that I've been thinking about calling about and seeing if they can be used in other years of rigs. 

Another option (cheapest and easiest) would be to go with an add-a-leaf.  It will add 1.5 inches generally, but will stiffen up the ride a little when empty, but will help out alot when loaded and will level out your rig. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Yopar

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2013, 03:10:17 PM »
From what you wrote, I would say a set of Old Man Emu springs (OME) would work well for you. They would bolt in, are very affordable and high quality. 009R is the part # for the rear. You might want to leave out the very short stubby spring at first, until they break in. I took mine out and never put it back in. Match them with the OME firm shocks part # N85. You can get them through any dealer that sells ARB if I'm not mistaken.

I've purchased from this place, I'm on the East coast:
http://www.4by4connection.com/ifsrearleafs.html

Or if you are on the west coast, maybe someone else can recommend a west coast dealer.

I have run these for several years and really like the way they ride, especially with a load of gear. That said, I'm probably going to swap them out for some longer springs for more flex, now that I know what their limitations are. But I am not selling them, because I'll probably use them for a RUF pack  :greengrin:
--'87 4runner ifs rig, locked f/r, 4.88/33, dual cases 2.28/4.7 marlins
--'83 long bed, bobbed, aussie locked f/r, 4.10/33, dual cases 2.28/4.7 marlins

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2013, 03:11:03 PM »
Cheap(uner $35) fix is to go to a wrecking yard and buy another pair of 4 Runner or truck spring packs.  Go to your parts store and buy two new leaf spring pins/nuts and two c-clamps if you don't already have them.  The oem leaf pins might be long enough, but given the age and likely condition of them it is best to have new on hand.  Depending on condition of the U-bolts you may want to buy new ones as well. 

Use the C-clamps to hold the spring packs to gether while you remove the center pin.  Once you have the pin out, take the main leaf from the pack, cut off the eyes/dog ear them.  Remove a leaf pack from the runner, disassemble and place the junkyard main leaf under the your original main, reassemble pack with new bolt, repeat for the other side.

If you use new spring pin-bolts, don't cut them down yet, you might want/need to add another leaf before you are done.  You can drill out the rubber bump stop enough so it will fit over the longer spring pin.

The 2nd main will increase the spring capacity by 500lbs, which should level the Runner(will get about 3/8" lift from width of spring), and wont stiffen the ride. 

2wd Toyota leaf spring mains may be long enough for the short bed springs.  If there aren't any Toyota's available any set of domestic truck springs that are long enough will work as well.  Domestic truck springs are a little wider, but you should be able to use the oem u-bolts. 

I originally did this with my '90 to resolve the sag issue from the shell and my custom carpet/tool box kit.  I have since added an additional spring below the mains(truck weighs 4600lbs unloaded), w/o changing the ride comfort.  With 500lbs of gear loaded in the bed/safari rack/swing out bumper rack, the truck stays just about as level as w/o gear, the same when towing a heavy trailer.  I did the same thing on my '91 using a set of chevy springs.  It rides a little stiffer when empty, but when empty it is lighter than my '90.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2013, 03:15:48 PM »
I agree for you I would just mix and match additional thin leaves from stock packs as necessary.  The Emu springs are to knotch also if you don't mind spending a little money and you would rather just bolt up and go.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

firealj [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2013, 10:09:51 PM »
snowtoy my friend has a set of springs from a 1gen tacoma. will those work? and which is the main spring?

BirdDog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 284
  • Male Posts: 239
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:08:04 AM »
After several tries to fix my 85 4runners squat I bit the bullet and went with Alcan. I could not be happier.

As far as weight I don't know too many people that wheel with as much crap as I do. I'll try to post some old pic's of my rig over loaded.

My experience has taught me, if at all possible to spend the money and do it right the first time. My justification has always been, I can spend a few hundred more $$ now and do it right or I can buy cheap China crap and risk a break down in the middle of Cadillac or Thompson Hill and require a rescue in some cases which ends up costing you more $$.  Sure they will warranty it or replace it until I die but what good is that to me when I'm busted  on the trail  loaded down with my whole family to deal with. jmho

« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2013, 09:16:17 AM by BirdDog »

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2013, 05:10:38 PM »
snowtoy my friend has a set of springs from a 1gen tacoma. will those work? and which is the main spring?
Yes, the Taco springs will work.

The "main leaf" is the one that sits on top of the leaf pack and bolts to the frame on the front side of the tire and to the shackle on the rear side of the tire.  Since you appear to be new to automotive mechanics, you will also need a service manual(there are downloadable ones available), a floor jack and jack standsl, a grinder equipped with a cut off wheel to cut the the springs down, and preferably flat ground to work on. 

If you don't have access to the tools needed, you can remove the springs and take them to a spring shop(if you have one in your area) and have them install an additional main leaf spring.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

firealj [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:01:22 PM »
Snow how many leafs are you running from top to bottom. my friend is giving me his old springs for free so it looks like im going this route. and is it possible to snap photos? thxs

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 930
  • Male Posts: 761
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:06:40 PM »
If your going to use your friends i'd start with adding two leafs.
I would buy an add-a-leaf. pro-comp sells them. gives the springs a good arch and still rides nice. about $40-70. I run one in both the front and rear of my truck.
1988 Blue Std Cab: SAS, Longs, HP/ARB/5.29 Front, ARB/5.29 Rear, Marlin Dual Ultimate w/ 23 Spline MC07XD-R10, Marlin 30 Spline Front & Rear Output Shafts, Dave's Triple shifter, FROR crossmember, Bilstein 12" f+r, RUF w/ 63s, 7in bob, 40x13.5x17 MTR's on Racelines Monster Beadlocks 17x9.5

build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=80954.510

firealj [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2013, 08:40:16 PM »
so when i add 2 leafs should i use the 2 longest off the pack i will be using or shortest? or mix? thxs

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2013, 06:08:44 PM »
In general, the longer springs=lower spring rate=softer ride, shorter springs=higher spring rate=stiffer ride.  To maintain the softest ride possible you will want to use the longest springs from the Taco pack, and cut them to fit amongst the longest springs in your 4 Runner's leaf packs.

I am not sure if 2nd gen springs are the same as the 3rd gens, if they are, you will want to place the Tacoma main(cut to fit) or the second Taco leaf if done like the pic below, between the main or double main and the next leaf spring.

firealj [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:38:16 PM »
Thank you snow for that picture of the leafs. I need pictures. adding in the one leaf how much more weight are you able to hold? my 4runner now is perfectly flat sitting empty except for the spare so i would like to increase it to hold like 500 or more if possible. we do a lot of camping and sleep in the back  also we have a cargo rack holds 100 lbs. i'd love to hold 800-1000 so i can tow my small boat on a trailer. so thinking now perhaps ride can sacrifice for good load distribution. am i able to accomplish this with adding used taco leafs to the pack i have now. Or go the route of buying a set from a company . id like to give it a shot with the free ones i have now. thanks

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2013, 01:04:19 AM »
An additional leaf between the main leaf or double main as in the pic above should give you an additional 500lbs(250lbs/side) carrying capacity.  It should level the Runner up, and not sag until loaded w/extra gear.

I would start with installing just one spring per side, and see how it looks and rides, then go from there.  If you find you need more weight carrying capacity, you can always add another leaf, longer shackles, or add air helper springs that you would inflate when loaded down w/a lot of extra gear.

Post up some pics of the Springs on your Runner, it has been a long time since I have bothered taking a look at stock 4x4 springs.  The only stock springs I have right now are 2wd springs, and some of them are single main and others are double mains.

WarSaw

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:48:51 PM »
Just dont use an actual Add A Leaf, I made that mistake on my FJ55, Way too stiff :twocents:

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 930
  • Male Posts: 761
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:01:19 PM »
Just dont use an actual Add A Leaf, I made that mistake on my FJ55, Way too stiff :twocents:

I run one front and rear, and think its still really soft
1988 Blue Std Cab: SAS, Longs, HP/ARB/5.29 Front, ARB/5.29 Rear, Marlin Dual Ultimate w/ 23 Spline MC07XD-R10, Marlin 30 Spline Front & Rear Output Shafts, Dave's Triple shifter, FROR crossmember, Bilstein 12" f+r, RUF w/ 63s, 7in bob, 40x13.5x17 MTR's on Racelines Monster Beadlocks 17x9.5

build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=80954.510

WarSaw

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2013, 10:23:33 PM »
I run one front and rear, and think its still really soft

Well  ya know, the 55 was still spring under, + im wondering if they spec'd a heavier Add A Leaf spring for the big Pigs??