Author Topic: IFS Hub Conversion  (Read 68386 times)

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
IFS Hub Conversion
« on: May 08, 2012, 11:48:27 AM »
So Ihate when people just ask a question without researching the forum for the answers but... I have been looking for almost 1 1/2 hrs now and cant seem to find my answers. I am looking at doing the IFS hub conversion on an 85 axle. Can someone please just lay it out there for me. I know Fj60 rotors, Ifs hubs, v-6 calipers. But everytime I look around some say drill this press that. I just dont want to screw this up. If someone has a link to a good resource PLEASE let me know.
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

SFD4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 218
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
Re: IFS Hub Conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 12:20:07 AM »
Unfortunately there are a bunch of different ways to do it.  My set up.  V6 calipers with tacoma rotors.  I went with the tacoma rotors because they are a direct fit and do not require drilling.  You will have to mill down your hub bearing housing for the rotor to slip over it but do it once and be done with it.  I milled mine down by removing the wheels, placing it in 4 low low, and using a 7" angle grinder on it.  I ended up removing about a 1/2 of material but if you keep it spinning it removes it equally.  To mount my calipers I drilled my knuckle housing out and used a 1/2" grade 8 bolt with a thread locked nut IIRC.  It's actually a very easy mod and I'm really glad I did it.  I can post some pictures for you if you want in a couple of days since I have my front end all torn apart and will be putting it back together.  I don't daily drive my rig but it's not a trailer queen either.  My braking greatly improved and I have had no problems with the system. 
83 pickup, 4.88s, chevys in rear, RUF, Dual Transfers, flat belly, 3RZ swap, disc brake x4, rollin on 36" irocs

IF YOU SEE A 20' PAC WEST/CARSON FLAT BED TRAILER FOR SALE CHECK OUT THE STOLEN SECTION.  IT MIGHT BE MINE!!!!

83yota [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:50:56 AM »
If you could that would be great. I am looking to ditch the wheel spacers and better braking. Mine is kinda a trailer queen. I trailer it to the trail but I drive it in town. I have a suburban and a trailer might as well use it and besides it cuts down the wear and tear on my $2500 tires, really since I am spooled ft and rr
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 12:49:06 PM »
im running 84 Land cruiser rotors, drilled

v6 calipers mounted on the outside of the caliper ears...
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

83yota [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
can you shoot me a pic of how your calipers are mounted

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1233
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 03:13:29 PM »
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

SFD4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 218
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 09:37:22 PM »
Some pics.
This is how much farther out your hub is going to be.  I got dust shield eliminators.

Here is where I am talking about milling it down so the rotor fits over. 

1/2" threaded, grade 8 bolts with locking nuts.  I also put thread locker on.  You don't want these vibrating loose!

Here are the calipers mounted up.  I ended up having to put a washer in between the caliper and mounting surface to get the caliper centered on the rotor.  Washer is also grade 8.  I don't see any problem with this set up due to the fact that there is full contact between the washer and the rotor and mounting surface. 

The tacoma rotor, all stock, no drilling required. This was the main reason I went with the tacoma set up.  If I nuke a rotor for some reason I can just buy another one and slap it on, no drilling required.  Also the tacoma rotors are a slip fit on the outside.  They are not pressed on with the tire studs.   They are also vented rotors, I'm not sure if the land cruiser rotors are. 

83 pickup, 4.88s, chevys in rear, RUF, Dual Transfers, flat belly, 3RZ swap, disc brake x4, rollin on 36" irocs

IF YOU SEE A 20' PAC WEST/CARSON FLAT BED TRAILER FOR SALE CHECK OUT THE STOLEN SECTION.  IT MIGHT BE MINE!!!!

83yota [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 03:41:28 PM »
So I went out and got the fj60 rotors. what do i need to use to drill my holes?

Dooner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 217
  • Male Posts: 769
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Invest in precious metal
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 11:16:36 PM »
I used the FJ60 rotors with V6 calipers on a '85 pickup axle for my FJ40. I used the IFS rotors for a template for drilling the holes. I lined it out in my build thread in my sig if you want to check it out. The writeup starts on page 3 and is finished up on page 5. The thing stops on a dime with drums in the back.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:26:34 PM by Dooner »
"Project Land Cruzah" In Land Cruiser Section
71 FJ40 327/465/ 4.7 Mini T/c, Trussed, Armored Mini Axles w/ High Cross Over, Aussie Lockers & 30 spline Longs.  p/s 35's, SOA, , .  86 Burb D-60 14 bolt 350/400/205 37's.  02 F350 Tow Barge, Toyo 38's, Banks 5" Wicked wheel turbo, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, Blah Blah Blah

rcp916

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile
IFS Hub Conversion
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 09:02:39 PM »
85 axle with ifs hubs turned down,FROR Tacoma bracket kit, 96 tacoma rotor and 96 Tacoma calipers.

The instructions from FROR said to flip the knuckles left to right so the ears are on the front but mine were already FUBAR from a failed attempt to tap them so I just cut em off.

Also since the Tacoma brakes are in the front of the knuckles you put the left caliper on the right and the right on the left.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:10:21 PM by rcp916 »

krprice84

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:18:11 AM »
Unfortunately there are a bunch of different ways to do it.  My set up.  V6 calipers with tacoma rotors.  I went with the tacoma rotors because they are a direct fit and do not require drilling.  You will have to mill down your hub bearing housing for the rotor to slip over it but do it once and be done with it.  I milled mine down by removing the wheels, placing it in 4 low low, and using a 7" angle grinder on it.  I ended up removing about a 1/2 of material but if you keep it spinning it removes it equally.  To mount my calipers I drilled my knuckle housing out and used a 1/2" grade 8 bolt with a thread locked nut IIRC.  It's actually a very easy mod and I'm really glad I did it.  I can post some pictures for you if you want in a couple of days since I have my front end all torn apart and will be putting it back together.  I don't daily drive my rig but it's not a trailer queen either.  My braking greatly improved and I have had no problems with the system.

I know this thread is old but I figured instead of starting a new one I'd post here.... I know that the ifs Toyota rotors are a little smaller than the 80's land cruiser rotors and the solid axle rotors, and shouldn't be used without a bracket. I would really like to do the Tacoma rotors, but are they also smaller diameter? Or are they about the same diameter as the solid axle or lc rotors? If they are smaller they may still fit but would just have less pad to rotor contact area, which likely isn't a very good thing....

Thanks for any info!

Crawlin85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:25:40 PM »
sfd4x4 thank you for the pictures and good write up. I did the Tacoma rotor/ ifs caliper upgrade to my toy rear axle to eliminate drums. I will soon do the taco rotor upgrade to front.  for anyone who is trying to decide on which vented rotor upgrade to do keep this in mind.
Tacoma rotor/ifs hub conversion will allow you to replace a broken axle without disassembly of your hub and wheel bearing assembly (just remove outer lockout to remove snap ring from axle, remove caliper, then unbolt your spindle, loosen upper and lower caps and its pulled)
no need for wheel spacers as the ifs bearing hub assembly will space the solid axle out to match the width of your ifs rear axle housing
Tacoma rotors new are $25 ea at napa. FJ rotors are around $45ea if I remember correctly
Tacoma rotors are floating, meaning once the wheel is off, the rotor can be slid off without having to disassemble the hub assembly or press in and out any wheel studs (when replacing rotor with new one). this saves you a ton of time if you want to turn your rotors to get rid of any brake related vibration issues (even tho you could probably buy new rotors cheaper than having them turned)
All you need for this conversion: find some used IFS bearing hub assemblies (the inner part that the wheel bearing goes in, you can reuse your solid axle locking outer hubs) some used IFS Calipers (make sure they are not seized) and new taco rotors (I know 1997 Tacoma rotors work) plus what is stated in sfd4x4 post ^
If your able to find good used parts at a decent price you can probably do this upgrade for around $100. compare it to the fj rotors with spacers

For the rear:
I bought a caliper bracket off ebay for about $30 (flat bracket, no offset, shaped like an H and bolts to your axle bearing assembly studs with 3 out of the 4 studs.
However where that bracket bolts to, those studs will need to be replaced with a 2" long bolt (replace 3 studs on each side with bolts) 6- 2" bolts total will need to be purchased. Unfortunately I don't remember the diameter of the bolt so just match it with one of your existing studs.
The bracket will then need to be spaced out half an inch from its mounting surface to get proper caliper placement. I used a regular nut plus a thinner nut stacked to give me my 1/2" spacing (this is why you need 2" bolts instead of the stock studs) you will need 6 of each of the nuts if you got bolts that are same thread pitch as the studs (allowing you to reuse your old stud nuts)
Buy 1 1/2" long bolts with nuts to attach your calipers to the bracket (use biggest bolt the bracket will allow)
Before attaching your caliper or attempting to slide the rotor on you will need to grind off about 3/16" of the flange of the rear axle (same part of the flange that sfd4x4 is pointing to in his pic only on the rear) to gain enough clearance to slide the rotor on. to give you an idea of how much it is there is a beveled part on the flange, I pretty much had to grind the bevel away for it to fit. took about 30 min per side, truck in 4 low with flange spinning to get even cut.
then either press off the backing plate that once held your crappy shoes or cut it off
You will need an adjustable proportioning valve and back it off all the way to keep these guys from locking up. the braking difference is huge compared to the drums.
also a high capacity master cylinder reservoir will be needed as these are 4 piston calipers. I converted to a heavy duty ford master
I also changed my hardlines to steel braided brake lines so I don't have to bleed the lines or worry about kinking them when I remove calipers.  I got 3- 28" in length and centered the T at the middle of the diff so all lines are same length from hardline at frame. I also reused the hardline clamps to bolt the braided lines to the axle housing to keep them from hanging
Cons to this set up: No ebrake (use tcase brake or I may fab up some mechanical calipers)I would do the gm Eldorado caliper upgrade if the lack of park brake is an issue.
 the need for a large reservoir master (cost me $125 for master with adapter made by Kieth at Get Bent Fabrication in Newcastle, Ca)
You will need 1/4" wheel spacers for the wheel to clear the caliper, or you can see how much you can grind off the caliper
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2015, 10:44:49 AM by Crawlin85 »
85 runner with cool stuff
-A truck with a body lift is like a fat girl in a mini skirt, it shows you everything you don't want to see

Crawlin85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:29:06 PM »
I know this thread is old but I figured instead of starting a new one I'd post here.... I know that the ifs Toyota rotors are a little smaller than the 80's land cruiser rotors and the solid axle rotors, and shouldn't be used without a bracket. I would really like to do the Tacoma rotors, but are they also smaller diameter? Or are they about the same diameter as the solid axle or lc rotors? If they are smaller they may still fit but would just have less pad to rotor contact area, which likely isn't a very good thing....

Thanks for any info!

from what I remember my brake book listed the taco and fj rotor at the same diameter. (I'd go double check but I accidently locked my key to the shed that the book is in in the shed with it, D'oh!) if there is a difference it is only slight. just about my entire pad is in contact with the taco rotor
85 runner with cool stuff
-A truck with a body lift is like a fat girl in a mini skirt, it shows you everything you don't want to see

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:42:14 PM »
Good Info!
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10910
  • Male Posts: 2,416
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2016, 12:17:58 PM »
I'm bringing this back from the dead as I have a unique question. I'm wanting to do the IFS hub swap and utilize the Taco rotors and calipers. My question is about fitting steel wheels over these calipers. What wheels are you guys running that have done this swap? I fear I'll order wheels and find out that I'll still have to run spacers which would put me out too far with the combination of the IFS hubs. Thanks!  :beerchug:

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2016, 12:23:21 PM »
Some pics.
This is how much farther out your hub is going to be.  I got dust shield eliminators.

Here is where I am talking about milling it down so the rotor fits over. 

1/2" threaded, grade 8 bolts with locking nuts.  I also put thread locker on.  You don't want these vibrating loose!

Here are the calipers mounted up.  I ended up having to put a washer in between the caliper and mounting surface to get the caliper centered on the rotor.  Washer is also grade 8.  I don't see any problem with this set up due to the fact that there is full contact between the washer and the rotor and mounting surface. 

The tacoma rotor, all stock, no drilling required. This was the main reason I went with the tacoma set up.  If I nuke a rotor for some reason I can just buy another one and slap it on, no drilling required.  Also the tacoma rotors are a slip fit on the outside.  They are not pressed on with the tire studs.   They are also vented rotors, I'm not sure if the land cruiser rotors are. 

85 axle with ifs hubs turned down,FROR Tacoma bracket kit, 96 tacoma rotor and 96 Tacoma calipers.

The instructions from FROR said to flip the knuckles left to right so the ears are on the front but mine were already FUBAR from a failed attempt to tap them so I just cut em off.

Also since the Tacoma brakes are in the front of the knuckles you put the left caliper on the right and the right on the left.

Specifically you two...

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1233
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2016, 05:20:55 PM »
FROR brackets, 02 Tacoma calipers and rotors, IFS wheel bearing that were machined on my lathe fit my 15" Ultra 50 wheels. If I had 17" wheels I would have gone with the same set-up off a 96 and up 4runner because the calipers and rotors are bigger.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2016, 05:58:55 PM »
So it would appear that the Ultra 50s only come up to a 16" and  I need 17s for going to 37s. I wonder if this wheel from them would work: http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Ultra_Wheels.cfm?pn=GTD-Ultra-Rims-164-17-9BL%2Es&pID=76395

though the 4.5 backspacing doesn't help its case.

SKULLYOTA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -57
  • Male Posts: 52
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Garage Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2016, 06:08:57 PM »
are you concerned about the wheel diameter or the caliper body sticking out past the WMS? 

FWIW, for a short time on a previous rig i ran IFS hubs and 1.5" wheel spacers, with 37" Pitbulls.  Yes, holy scrub radius batman...never broke anything though. 

85 x-cab- duals, flatbed, locked, 33's....

70 FJ55-in pieces

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2016, 06:11:52 PM »
are you concerned about the wheel diameter or the caliper body sticking out past the WMS? 

FWIW, for a short time on a previous rig i ran IFS hubs and 1.5" wheel spacers, with 37" Pitbulls.  Yes, holy scrub radius batman...never broke anything though.

The caliper body sticking out past the WMS. I know the diameter will clear it by a mile.

I don't want to run IFS hubs and spacers as I'll be into my fenders doing that. I want to tuck.

SKULLYOTA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Garage Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2016, 06:25:21 PM »
I think when this topic went around Pirate4x4, everybody had a lot more trouble with aluminum wheels than steel wheels.  Steel wheel centers will be better able to slope away from the WMS faster than the castings of an aluminum wheel (at least i think).  With the bigger 4runner/tacoma calipers you may just have to grind them for clearance no matter what.  The cheapo 1/4" spacers from the parts store would probably help out and not hurt your width too badly. 

I'd buy one of those 1" V6 or 1.0625" T100 master cylinders also. 

edit: looks like the wheels you linked to are aluminum?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/985436-ifs-hub-swap-confused.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/1267834-ifs-hub-sa-axle-widening-method-writeup-pg-1-a-2.html

« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2016, 06:31:08 PM by SKULLYOTA »

70 FJ55-in pieces

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2016, 06:33:39 PM »
I think when this topic went around Pirate4x4, everybody had a lot more trouble with aluminum wheels than steel wheels.  Steel wheel centers will be better able to slope away from the WMS faster than the castings of an aluminum wheel (at least i think).  With the bigger 4runner/tacoma calipers you may just have to grind them for clearance no matter what.  The cheapo 1/4" spacers from the parts store would probably help out and not hurt your width too badly. 

I'd buy one of those 1" V6 or 1.0625" T100 master cylinders also. 

edit: looks like the wheels you linked to are aluminum?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/985436-ifs-hub-swap-confused.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/1267834-ifs-hub-sa-axle-widening-method-writeup-pg-1-a-2.html

You've got it backwards. People are having problems with steelies and not with aluminum.

SKULLYOTA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Garage Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2016, 06:36:48 PM »
You've got it backwards. People are having problems with steelies and not with aluminum.

lol, my bad.   :gap:

70 FJ55-in pieces

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2016, 06:39:07 PM »

lol, my bad.   :gap:

Its all good. Like I said I'm just trying to hear from people on what exact wheels they are running with this swap to have options that I know will work.

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2016, 06:47:20 PM »
I ran 16 inch steelies without a doubt on my last crawler on ifs hubs. With 4 cyl ifs calipers. No spacers.

I do my ifs hubs different than anyone mentioned here tho. I mount my.caliper on the opposite side of the knuckle. But you woukd think that would make the issue you fear even worse. But mine cleared no problem. They were basically a 16 of the style you were originally looking to get.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2016, 06:54:20 PM »
I'm really wanting to go the Tacoma route for the ability to slip them on and off for trail fixes.

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2016, 06:58:12 PM »
Camo method doesn't require you to remove the rotor tho. And either way you gotta take off the caliper. I see no real world reason to do the taco brakes. I've done them for a buddy and they are smaller when comparing to a ifs truck. Even the 4 cyl calipers are. It is nice tho if you want to take the spindle off for some reason. I never touch those bolts tho. I always remove the knuckle as an assembly.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2016, 06:59:37 PM »
Maybe I want to run Tundra calipers  :willynilly:

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2016, 07:02:47 PM »
V6 calipers are a nightmare to fit with wheels whenever I've tried to use them. So if tundra are bigger than those, your gonna have a helluva time finding wheels. Just speaking from what I've witnessed firsthand. It's possible I've been doing something wrong.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2016, 07:05:32 PM »
V6 calipers are a nightmare to fit with wheels whenever I've tried to use them. So if tundra are bigger than those, your gonna have a helluva time finding wheels. Just speaking from what I've witnessed firsthand. It's possible I've been doing something wrong.

No you haven't been doing anything wrong. It is just a steelies problem I believe. I'm hoping one of these aforementioned guys can shed some light on what wheels do work.