Author Topic: IFS Hub Conversion  (Read 68851 times)

SKULLYOTA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -57
  • Male Posts: 52
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Garage Crawler
    • View Profile
Re: IFS Hub Conversion
« Reply #30 on: Jan 03, 2016, 08:45:30 PM »
Camo method doesn't require you to remove the rotor tho. And either way you gotta take off the caliper. I see no real world reason to do the taco brakes. I've done them for a buddy and they are smaller when comparing to a ifs truck. Even the 4 cyl calipers are. It is nice tho if you want to take the spindle off for some reason. I never touch those bolts tho. I always remove the knuckle as an assembly.

best part of the taco brakes and the FROR brackets is being able to remove the spindle/wheel bearings/hub assembly as a "unit-bearing" of sorts to get to broken axles/birfs, never touching wheel bearings or trunions. 
85 x-cab- duals, flatbed, locked, 33's....

70 FJ55-in pieces

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 03, 2016, 09:26:30 PM »
While that is semi true (you don't have to mess with wheel bearings doing camo method) It can be argued that way is harder and takes more time and is more.likely to damage a gasket, at the spindle. To each their own.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 03, 2016, 10:52:05 PM »
There is a company who makes steel 15" wheels just to clear on tacomas, but I cannot remember their name.  Only had 1 customer come in to see if I could get them and that was a couple years ago.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jan 03, 2016, 11:09:06 PM »
Wheeler's Offroad, and it seems they no longer make them. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #34 on: Jan 04, 2016, 06:37:21 AM »
My tacoma as well as many of the ones when I was in highscool ran regular 15x10 or 15x8 steel wheels with 3.5" back space with no problem?
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jan 04, 2016, 07:39:19 AM »
There is a company who makes steel 15" wheels just to clear on tacomas, but I cannot remember their name.  Only had 1 customer come in to see if I could get them and that was a couple years ago.

I'm going to 17s so its not a question of diameter clearance but rather the caliper body clearing the section of the wheel near the wms. Where the rim tapers in to meet the hub.

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jan 04, 2016, 08:38:01 AM »
Tacoma brakes are smaller than 4cly ifs and v6 ifs. So id imagine they would be easier to fit wheels on. My buddy with a 98 is also running some 15s right now.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #37 on: Jan 04, 2016, 09:06:07 AM »
Andrew I would think most any steel wheel wouldhave the taper your looking for. I know what youe concern is I had a set of 15"aluminum eagle alloys that I put on my tacoma and it bolted up bur wouldn't spin, the caliper face was hitting the wms of the wheel. It was virtually flat so even the slightest taper would have corrected it. I put a 1/8" spacer behind it, ran it for a while with no issues.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
06 tacoma street truck

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jan 04, 2016, 10:04:34 AM »
Tacoma brakes are smaller than 4cly ifs and v6 ifs. So id imagine they would be easier to fit wheels on. My buddy with a 98 is also running some 15s right now.

Are they really now? I assumed they were bigger.

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jan 04, 2016, 10:55:01 AM »
Yeah. Pretty damn sure. Again I could be wrong. But I remember the 4 cyl calipers being larger. The v6 calipers for picups are massive compared to 4cyl. I'm not sure about the rotor. I wanna say is itself smaller also. This is all going from memory. So don't be taking this as fact. But I'm pretty sure.

SKULLYOTA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -57
  • Male Posts: 52
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Garage Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jan 04, 2016, 10:57:16 AM »
came up on Pirate again, more folks saying the taco rotors are smaller diamter....

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/2228097-lets-talk-big-brakes.html    :(

Does anyone know if the T100 calipers are bigger than regular V6 calipers?  The T100 master is bigger than the V6/FJ80 ones....maybe T100 stuff is the way to go? 

edit: T100 rotors are 25mm thick...maybe the calipers wont work. 
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2016, 11:11:42 AM by SKULLYOTA »
85 x-cab- duals, flatbed, locked, 33's....

70 FJ55-in pieces

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jan 04, 2016, 03:53:26 PM »
EUREKA! From this wonderfully done post: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/94923-hard-find-specs-info-measurements-231mm-13wl-tundra-calipers-rotors.html

Some info on which wheels will clear the 231mm Tundra Caliper WITHOUT spacers (Just using the quote format to make this stand out):

OEM Wheels that have been confirmed to fit over 231mm Calipers:

17" 6 Spoke FJ Wheels PIC
Base model 4Runner, 6 spoke steel wheels (reference: Wheel fitment with Tundra Brakes - YotaTech Forums)
OEM 4-Runner "5-Star" wheels PIC
OEM 4-Runner 5-Spoke "Flower" Wheels, found on '01-02 models PIC
OEM Tundra/Tacoma 5-Spoke Wheels PIC
OEM 4th Gen 4-Runner 6 Spoke 17" Wheels PIC
TRD Ivan Stewart Wheels PIC
5-Spoke 1st Gen Tundra Alloy Wheels, found on '04-'06 models PIC
16" 2nd Gen Tacoma "Snowflake" TRD Off Road wheels PIC

FZJ 80 Wheels will NOT fit over 231mm calipers, unless you run at least a 1/4" wheel spacer.

All of these wheels will clear the calipers, according to this thread >>> 16" Wheels and the Tundra Brake Swap - TTORA Forum

16x8 Pro Comp 1059
16" Procomp 8069
17" Procomp 8069
16" Wheeler's Type B

And all of these will clear according to this thread >>>> FJ Crusier Wheels with Tundra Brake Upgrade?? - Page 2 - YotaTech Forums

Ivan Stewart Wheels,
MT Classic
MT Classic II
Procomp 8069
Procomp 8023 in 16x8
Procomp 7089 17"
FJ 5-spoke (with spacers)
Weld Racing Renegade

The following wheels have been confirmed to clear 231mm calipers by T4R.org members. Do a search for their builds/posts if you want to see some pictures.

17x8 König Countersteer Type-X (Thanks, 4Ripcord)
16x8 Sidewinder wheel by Weld Racing Wheels (Thanks, Dmart 808)
16x8.5 Level 8 Strike 6 Wheels (Thanks, Tylerbaird & Blcktpgsr)
16x8 Vision 375 Warrior Wheels (Thanks, theizzardking)
17x8.5 Stealth Custom Series "Stealth 6" (Thanks, SCS...SCS's T4R.org Sponsor Sub-Forum)
16x8 Stealth Custom Series "F-5" (Thanks, SCS)
17" Pro-Comp 7005 w/4.5" BS, 10mm offset (Thanks, foxrider)
16" Jaos Excel Pro II (Thanks kymo & semcoinc)

Any others that people know of? Send me a PM and I'll add them to the list!! Thanks!

So with that I will be going with these wheels: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/prodDetail.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gp=1&gclid=Cj0KEQiAzai0BRCs2Yydo8yptuIBEiQAN3_lFvuiNKsjNsBSwtIUBTuIaMtsmFnwyfbp1jrJqWWD0I0aAuAv8P8HAQ&partNo=PXA7069-7983&catID=11&subCat=535&ptID=101508

I'm going to reach out to 4WParts and see if they will do a custom backspacing for me.

Crawlin85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jan 19, 2016, 09:03:11 PM »
I am running the 86 IFS calipers on the fj rotors with 1.25" wheel spacers clearing a 15" steel wheel. on the rear with the tacoma rotors I had to run 1/4" wheel spacer or I could have shaved the side of the caliper some to clear the wheel. I am going to be doing the Tacoma slip on rotor for the front this week. I've had some IFS hubs and 99 4runner rotors laying around. also spun a race in a solid axle hub so I need to replace it any how. I'll let you know how it turns out it you havent done yours yet
85 runner with cool stuff
-A truck with a body lift is like a fat girl in a mini skirt, it shows you everything you don't want to see

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jan 20, 2016, 07:53:55 AM »
I am running the 86 IFS calipers on the fj rotors with 1.25" wheel spacers clearing a 15" steel wheel. on the rear with the tacoma rotors I had to run 1/4" wheel spacer or I could have shaved the side of the caliper some to clear the wheel. I am going to be doing the Tacoma slip on rotor for the front this week. I've had some IFS hubs and 99 4runner rotors laying around. also spun a race in a solid axle hub so I need to replace it any how. I'll let you know how it turns out it you havent done yours yet

What backspacing are your wheels?

Crawlin85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:14:24 AM »
FROR brackets, 02 Tacoma calipers and rotors, IFS wheel bearing that were machined on my lathe fit my 15" Ultra 50 wheels. If I had 17" wheels I would have gone with the same set-up off a 96 and up 4runner because the calipers and rotors are bigger.

There are two different kinds of rotors you can get for the 4runner. I just hopped on rock auto's page and compared part numbers between the two. there is an option of a 4runner rotor for a 15 inch wheel 297mm ( which is the same rotor as the only option for the Taco) then 4runner also has an option for a 16" wheel 319mm which was not an option for the Taco so you can use 4runner rotors if you select the 15" wheel option. I am finally starting on my hub swap today
-A truck with a body lift is like a fat girl in a mini skirt, it shows you everything you don't want to see

Crawlin85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:17:41 AM »
What backspacing are your wheels?

I believe i am 3.5" back spacing, I am not sure if I will have the same issue up front but I will report back later today

Crawlin85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Jan 24, 2016, 06:56:22 PM »
Ok so I have a 4" back spaced wheels. I am using the same IFS calipers I had with my fj rotor swap. I do have to grind down the caliper for the wheel to bolt on, or get 1/4" spacers but I don't want to do that. I think the Tacoma calipers are the only ones low profile enough to clear the wheel. I don't think it matters what backspacing you have, I don't think steel wheels go from the hub out to the rim at a steep enough angle to clear IFS calipers so go with the taco calipers if you can. I also decided to tap my calipers so I would not have to try to squeeze a nut between the caliper and rotor. I did M14 but it thinned out the ears on the knuckle quite a bit so if you tap yours I would do a m13 to keep as much material on there as possible. Kinda wish I went with front ranges taco caliper mounting bracket but I don't have the money and I think this should work fine. Hoping to have it all finished tomorrow

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Jan 24, 2016, 07:26:18 PM »
Ok so I have a 4" back spaced wheels. I am using the same IFS calipers I had with my fj rotor swap. I do have to grind down the caliper for the wheel to bolt on, or get 1/4" spacers but I don't want to do that. I think the Tacoma calipers are the only ones low profile enough to clear the wheel. I don't think it matters what backspacing you have, I don't think steel wheels go from the hub out to the rim at a steep enough angle to clear IFS calipers so go with the taco calipers if you can. I also decided to tap my calipers so I would not have to try to squeeze a nut between the caliper and rotor. I did M14 but it thinned out the ears on the knuckle quite a bit so if you tap yours I would do a m13 to keep as much material on there as possible. Kinda wish I went with front ranges taco caliper mounting bracket but I don't have the money and I think this should work fine. Hoping to have it all finished tomorrow

Bring on the pics!  :clap:

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Jan 25, 2016, 08:11:39 AM »
Tapping the caliper seems very sketch to me. The knuckle material is much better for threads than the caliper. I don't believe any calipers on the market are threaded. I've never seen one. Just my 2 cents.

Crawlin85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Jan 26, 2016, 07:26:56 PM »
Bring on the pics!  :clap:

you know i've been on marlin and pirate for like 8 years and have yet to figure out how. Do I have to get photo bucket or is there an easier way now?

Crawlin85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Jan 26, 2016, 07:33:37 PM »
Tapping the caliper seems very sketch to me. The knuckle material is much better for threads than the caliper. I don't believe any calipers on the market are threaded. I've never seen one. Just my 2 cents.

there was alot of material on it and I think its cast? like the knuckles. I read others tapping them, but I figured Id to some good hard test braking and see what happens and if it fails Ill go with FROR bracket. I haven't finished it yet, a caliper is sticking so I had to get a replacement. Everything else hasn't been too bad but I would dish out the $99 on the brackets I think I'f I had to do it again. I think it would be better than drilling and tapping, I'm just pretty strapped for cash and I thought it was weird that it bolts on with the spindle

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Jan 27, 2016, 12:28:15 AM »
It's probably fine. I just haven't seen it done stock so I'm thinking there is a reason behind it. Granted I've never seen a bolt with a nut holding a caliper on either stock. Which is what I run. So I can't really say anything. I'm pretty sure the calipers aren't the same material as the knuckles. But they do have threads for holding themselves together. So obviously the material is good enough for that. Your probably fine.

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Feb 09, 2016, 04:47:10 PM »
Figured I'd post what I'm running, ifs hubs on my 84 with v6 calipers drilled out to fit a 1/2" bolt with the knuckles drilled out to fit a 1/2" grade 8 bolt as well. I'm running the vented rotors from an 82 Land Cruiser with the holes drilled for the 6 back bolts and ifs hubs from an 89. When I went to put the caliper on I knew I'd have to take off some metal from the caliper mounting ears to get it back to being in the correct spot. I took a guess and took of .2000" of an inch and it is the perfect amount. I also had to grind down the pad where the squealers are (the one closest to the tire). Then I installed 1/4" spacers and took the truck for a test drive. The rims I have still hit the calipers with the 1/4" spacer on but it wasn't by much so i let it work it's self into fitting correctly.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Mar 23, 2016, 11:16:37 AM »
Bringing this back again. I ended up sticking with 15" wheels. I just purchased the front range bracket for running taco rotors and calipers. I've got my machinist neighbor setup to mill down the hubs. The unknown for me right now is what to do about this banjo brake fitting I need for the tacoma calipers? What did yall run?

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #54 on: Mar 24, 2016, 07:32:45 PM »
This might help.. it's the custom search I made:
http://goo.gl/jTA7A3
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Mar 24, 2016, 07:35:14 PM »
I figured out a route to take. I am going with 3rd gen 4Runner calipers instead of Tacoma. They have the regular fitting rather than the banjo and have a 15" wheel offering.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Mar 25, 2016, 03:31:04 PM »
My next question has to do with the use of bearings and such when doing the IFS hub swap. Am I re-using my straight axle hub's bearings or do I need to buy IFS bearings? What should I expect there?

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26852
  • Male Posts: 3,506
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Mar 25, 2016, 04:13:38 PM »
My next question has to do with the use of bearings and such when doing the IFS hub swap. Am I re-using my straight axle hub's bearings or do I need to buy IFS bearings? What should I expect there?

I just looked up a 85 and a 88 runner, same part number for wheel bearings
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Mar 25, 2016, 04:39:34 PM »
I just looked up a 85 and a 88 runner, same part number for wheel bearings

I guess I don't understand how all the innards can be the same with the extra width on the hub...

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #59 on: Mar 27, 2016, 10:45:12 AM »
Hub width is the same. The flange where the lug studs mount is in a different location if I remember correctly.
06 tacoma street truck