Author Topic: IFS box mounting tips  (Read 2376 times)

shooter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -72
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
IFS box mounting tips
« on: Feb 23, 2005, 07:49:46 PM »
Hey all, I'm just about ready to do crossover steering on my 85 and need a few pointers. I bought the marlin mount for the box.  Whats the best way to drill the holes? hole saw or drill bit? Whats the best way to ensure that the hole on one side of frame lines up with the other. Whats the best position for the box?  any pics would also be appreciated. thanks.

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
Re: IFS box mounting tips
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2005, 08:39:16 PM »
Use a drill bit, when you get thru one side stay in the hole and drill the inside hole, just keep the bit square to the frame and you'll be fine. Box location depends on your setup (springs and overall axle location) but rule of thumb is as far forward and tilted up as much as possible leaving clearance for the pitman to clear the frame. Plate the frame with 1/4" inside and out while your at it.

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2005, 09:26:09 PM »
what Kyota said but I ran my box flat.
Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

shooter [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -72
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2005, 09:52:11 PM »
So whats the difference betweeen the two positions? I assume Each has its own bennifits and depends on the setup. I will be running Marlin 4'' fronts springs and Marlin high-steer

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2005, 10:00:42 PM »
I mounted mine flat to try and prevent my drag link from dragging on the passenger side frame rail. It worked and it deosn't hit the leaf on the driverside either. That was my problem though you'll probably be fine
Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2005, 10:13:47 PM »
You can actually get the box a little farther forward the more vertical you mount it but you sacrifice drag link clearance. You need to mock it up with the set-up your going to run and build it to what works best for you.

GRM

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2005, 10:41:28 PM »
Here is how I do it. First take off your springs and re-mount them with just the main leaf. Then set the weight of the truck on the springs so that they are flat (sitting on the bumpstops work). Now, after the frame is all cleaned up, bolt the upper box mount up to the box and set it on the frame. Now mock up the tie rod and drag link. Rotate up the box until the tie rod and drag link are parallel, or the tie rod end clears the frame by .25", which ever is closer. Now mark your center holes for the 2 lower holes. I used a hole saw to drill them. Then measure, and drill the other side, from the inside of the frame. After that is done, go ahead and mock the box back up to make sure all 3 holes line up. This is also a good time ot tack weld everythign together. Then do the full weld. After that make a .25" plate on both sides of the frame similar to what is shown in the pics.

On my 85 with rear springs in the front, I had to hammer back the rad support about .25" to clear the box, so that the tie rod and drag link are dead parallel when the spring is comressed.

Now i just have to deal with the tie rod and drag link hitting the springs on droop. Darn flexy springs :-p