Author Topic: Allpro IFS steering box mounting kit help  (Read 1512 times)

Mendo85

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Allpro IFS steering box mounting kit help
« on: Jan 03, 2020, 11:18:33 PM »
Hello all, I’m new here but not new to projects. I look forward to any help you all can provide. I can usually figure my way through my projects since allot of it is common sense. But I feel for some reason with this issue I am lacking in both common sense and patience right now... Now to why I am here..

I am installing an Allpro Hy-Steer on my 85 4runner. The problem I’ve run into is concerning the Allpro IFS steering box mount I am using to mount the IFS box. The kit includes 2 plates with five 3/4” holes, and two larger approximately 1.25” holes drilled in them. Can someone show/tell me how these plates are intended to be used? I know they weld to the frame to mount the ifs box. Common sense says that three of the 3/4” holes should line up with the steering box mount holes, but there is no combination of these 5 holes I can find on the plates that match the ifs box.  The only holes that I can find that fit the box holes are the one 3/4” hole that mounts overtop the frame rail and the two larger holes would be used for the lower mounting holes where the 3/4” tubes go through the frame. This makes me think that the plates were designed to use the two larger holes, and using these should allow for room for the weld around the tubes through the frame and for a weld between the plate and the frame.

Any help with using these particular Allpro plates is appreciated!  I can’t seem to find a photo of them being used anywhere.. They seem engineered for some use & are made pretty nice but I’m struggling to see how it is... and if this is how they are used then now I have a bunch of 3/4” holes in the plates (4 of them) that I’m not going to use....

And I know.... after doing more research I really like the look and design of the Marlin mount. :hammer:

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Allpro IFS steering box mounting kit help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2020, 02:01:45 AM »
The box mount is also a frame reinforcement plate.  You are right that the 3/4" holes are for the bolts the large ones are for you to weld around the circle.  I could be wrong, but the best way is to clamp the inside mount to the frame, you have to remove the bracketry from the frame.  Hold the new box up there, point the steering shafts into somewhat of an alignment and notice what lines up.   :twocents:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

Mendo85 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2020, 06:12:48 PM »
Yea, problem is I can’t find any combination of the five 3/4” holes on the plates that will line up with all three bolts in the box. I figured the large holes were for plug welding the plates to the frame for the two lower ifs box mounting bolts, but are they also for welding the tubes to the frame? Then do I use the four other 3/4” holes to plug weld the plates to the frame also? I’m gonna get it all lined up and welded on tomorrow. Hopefully it won’t be to big of a mess... seems like allot of random unused holes in the support plates..
Thanks for the support!

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2020, 02:36:23 PM »
Two bolts go through the frame and one goes over the frame the rest of the holes are whatever you want to do with them. Use one of the tubes, if you have 3 to use for the over-frame weld.
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

Mendo85 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2020, 09:24:09 PM »
Thats exactly what I'm thinking too.  Weld up every hole I can!  Hopefully I can get it all welded/sealed up to keep moisture from getting in between the frame and the plates.  I was working on getting everything lined up today and realized I was sent a 39" draglink....  The one I need is about 5" shorter than the one I was sent!  Im going to call em tomorrow and see what I need to do to exchange this one for the shorter one i need for the 85.  Needless to say I didn't get it all buttoned up this weekend. 

Thanks again!