Author Topic: Looking at 2000 4runner, tips?  (Read 3238 times)

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 639
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
Looking at 2000 4runner, tips?
« on: Dec 03, 2007, 11:42:35 AM »
I'm looking at buying a 2000 4runner as a DD.  Any tips from those that know about these vehicles.  I know a bit about the Tacoma.  Wondering if there is anything I should look out for.

'04 Taco DC 4x4

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: Looking at 2000 4runner, tips?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2007, 11:48:19 AM »
Check for any leaks underneith, there shouldn't be any.
When you test drive it put it in AWD (4wd button on the transfer case shifter) drive around the whole time in AWD.

Huhwhye [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2007, 12:07:18 PM »
Its an SR5 model and it didn't have the AWD.  From my research only the Limited on this year had the AWD.  '01-02 had AWD on all trim levels

Also, it has paint matched flares with chrome bumpers.  Was that an option on the SR5?  I do know from talking to the guy on the phone one front fender has been replaced due to an accident.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2007, 01:15:37 PM »
I know that 99s had inch and a half higher coils in the rear...the highest of any runner...after they failed some rollover tests, Toyota reduced the height to appease the masses...

also, 2000 was the last year of the e-locker..just something to think about
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2007, 01:21:32 PM »
I know that 99s had inch and a half higher coils in the rear...the highest of any runner...after they failed some rollover tests, Toyota reduced the height to appease the masses...

also, 2000 was the last year of the e-locker..just something to think about

I could be wrong but I think you only got an E locker with a 4runner if it was a custom order. Tons of tacos seem to have them but i rarely see 4runners with them unless they were ordered that way.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Huhwhye [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2007, 01:40:45 PM »
The one I'm looking at has no locker.  Bummer.  I have not seen many for sale with an e-locker.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2007, 01:50:52 PM »
I could be wrong but I think you only got an E locker with a 4runner if it was a custom order. Tons of tacos seem to have them but i rarely see 4runners with them unless they were ordered that way.
I just bought a runner too....I saw tons of them with e-lockers...hardly any manuals though...just beware the 2wd models! dealers will forget to tell ya they're 4 wheel drive!
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Huhwhye [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2007, 02:01:57 PM »
Thanks for the warning.  I've called around to some dealers that advertise them and they often don't know if it's 4wd.  I make them go check before I make the trip.  So far many are 2wd, more than 4wd.  Here in SoCal everyone is 2wd.  I see so many Prerunner Tacos and 2wd FJC's its sickening.

I like this one since its a 5spd.  I guess I'd rather get a 5spd and put an ARB in it than find an automatic with the locker already.  Its not going to be a hardcore crawler.  But a DD that I'll use to take out the famly and possible tow with.  I am a big fan of lockers so that will be the first mod.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2007, 02:25:20 PM »
many dealers dont advertise the rear lockers (or even know that they have them or what they are)...I notcied that too
RIP KYOTA

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2007, 06:35:28 PM »
Thanks for the warning.  I've called around to some dealers that advertise them and they often don't know if it's 4wd.  I make them go check before I make the trip.  So far many are 2wd, more than 4wd.  Here in SoCal everyone is 2wd.  I see so many Prerunner Tacos and 2wd FJC's its sickening.

I like this one since its a 5spd.  I guess I'd rather get a 5spd and put an ARB in it than find an automatic with the locker already.  Its not going to be a hardcore crawler.  But a DD that I'll use to take out the famly and possible tow with.  I am a big fan of lockers so that will be the first mod.

If its got a 5 speed that is a big +

Those arent as uncommon as 4runners with elockers but they are still pretty uncommon.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Huhwhye [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2007, 10:57:25 PM »
I bought it.  It fit the bill.  It needs a clutch, and the U-joints seem like they need replacing, when I got under their they seemed lose.  The brakes could use new rotors or a resurface.  Otherwise, it drove really well, had no leaks and the guy had all his maintenance records.  It needs tires also.  But I like it that way, then I can choose the rubber.

its a 2000 5spd SR5, has 16's which mean bigger brakes.  Its a loaded SR5 with leather, sunroof, tow package.  I don't really like the hitch.  It hangs really low in the back.

The to do list is growing.  Its a DD, but it will see some trails and the dunes.

1. First thing to do is remove the running boards.
2. Then I'm replacing he clutch and possibly clocking the T-case.
3. Do the u-joints while its down.
4. ARB in rear diff and front if funds permit
5. Tires

Since I like to tinker and do my own work I feel comfortable buying something that needed some repairs and negotiated the price accordingly.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2007, 11:45:03 PM »
Sweet!!  :biggthumpup:

:worthless:

Huhwhye [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2007, 07:47:54 AM »

This is the pic from the ad.  What you don't see is the place where the guy tried to cover up some serious keying with a rattle can on the tailgate.  Otherwise its really pretty nice for a 8 year old car with 77k miles.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2007, 08:41:13 PM »
That is a great color on those 4runners. Nice score. I borrow my old man's 00 Runner here and there when my 85 is down and its really nice and I dig the power but I wish it didnt have an automatic.  :thumbdown: It is sweet you found a manual.

Huhwhye [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2007, 09:03:29 AM »
Thanks.  I'm excited.  I've already started ordering parts for it.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2007, 11:09:55 AM »
Thanks.  I'm excited.  I've already started ordering parts for it.
what did ya order?
RIP KYOTA

blyota91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 170
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2007, 05:22:23 PM »
77k and it needs a clutch and u-joints?
Retiring the 91
Rebuilding the 94

Huhwhye [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2007, 02:29:12 PM »
Previous owner obviously couldn't drive a stick.  While I was under it it seemed like there was a little play in one of the joints.  I have to pull the driveshaft anyway to do the clutch.  I'll know for sure later.

I'm in the middle of the clutch install.  Bought new hydraulics too.
I ordered some brake parts, SS lines etc.
Changing all the fluids to syn

I'm trying to decide on a short shifter.  Seems like there are a few choices

The running boards are gone.  So is the bike rack

I think next will be tires and a locker.
'04 Taco DC 4x4