Author Topic: 86' auto runner build  (Read 13323 times)

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Re: 86' runner build
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 05:09:11 PM »
gangsta lean :P
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

86yoter [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 314
  • Member since Mar '12
  • and the work continues
    • View Profile
    • 86' runner build
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 07:16:04 PM »
thanks ya there are some things i need to do but the list is tooooooooooo long for me to post. but this weekend i see welding in the future....... hopefully move my steering box back or just roll it down. because its in stock location and the high steer crosses no bueno. but need some sleeves so we will see. little research. any advice would help.
86' runner nothing special

86yoter [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '12
  • and the work continues
    • View Profile
    • 86' runner build
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2012, 07:32:47 AM »
well quite a few things have been done to the yoter. i moved the steering box forward an 1 1/4" and rolled it down so it is sitting right up against the body. i ended up using a 94 power steering box i had acquired and it fit perfect with out cheating the shaft. plated both sides and also the top from side to side. still needs a little work but it is good.
i was having an over heating problem so i decided to see what i could do. ended up draining all the fluid, fixing pinhole leek in heater hose, installed new thermostat and a use but new to me fan clutch. tightened everything up and put the fluid in. first trip was about 3 hours of driving and the tail end of the trip was lots of long grades. my truck without load and 35" would normally heat up a little. well it held the same the hole time. since i had stock 410 in still and it was fully loaded with enough electrical material to wire a small commercial building i was riding like 3rd gear for a good 3 to 5 miles at a time without pushing it. i was so happy to see no movement on the gage. its been a while since the cloying system has been working right. the things that are now possible to me since i did my SAS!
And for the most resent i installed the 529s in the rear with the grizzle. all i have to say is it is awesome to hear the tires in the parking lot in  hard turn w/ 35 that is just crazy to me. i have never heard my tires scratch like that even with small tires. but i do like the locker. can't wait to get the selectable in the front.  although i did find out that my passenger wheel bearing is going bad. so replacing that is in the near future.
yesturday we put the high pinion with 529 in the front. while taking apart the front axle nuckles we found some issues. like a cracked birfield on the driver side. luckily my buddy just happened to have a few on the shelf. and in the housing it was all mared up nothing seemed bent and there were no issues with putting axles shafts back in. i hope this will hold.  as for the passenger side  the hub was blown out and again my buddy had a spare. there was some good things that we did find out. the wheel bearings were good and i already had 529s in the front 3rd. damn if i would have know that i would have put that in the rear and just got the grizzle and the high pinion with the selectable in front would have been about the same. 
   So on a good note out of everything i got on the axle and more when i bought it for $700 i have made $450 off of it. but i do see why you buy a stock hub to hub front axle and build it yourself. you then know that it hasn't been wheeled to hard.  this is in the future for sure.
i will make sure to get some pics up soon.

86yoter [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '12
  • and the work continues
    • View Profile
    • 86' runner build
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #33 on: Jun 11, 2012, 08:57:04 AM »
well i saturday night it was my brother in laws grad party. later in the evening someone was like i bet you can't go around the track. since i only have 2 wheel drive due to no driveline. i was like your on.  its just a dirt bike track that goes through some washes. well one time turned into 3hr. i ended taking everyone we even found a rock pile at the top of there community in a vacant lot.  the yoter proved it self. although waking the next morning i walked out to check her out and there was a few new dings. damn!  the worst one is the damn driver side has a wavy indented scratch from a manzinita bush i was hitting every time i made this one corner. can't hid that one. there goes my clean truck.

86yoter [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '12
  • and the work continues
    • View Profile
    • 86' runner build
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #34 on: Jun 22, 2012, 10:08:48 AM »
taking apart the front for seals and new high pinion

found out that my berfield was cracked

and the housing was mared up from a berfield blowing up .  so i cleaned it up a little.
then after i finish the seal was still leaking so i took it apart again and went to go get a replacement seal since this one got f'ed up because the stops were not set right and it rubbed the crap out of the seal. and found out the didn't give me a marlin seals anyways. so i got two new ones for free. but when i was taking it apart i blow up one of the truion bearings that i just installed and no one had a replacement so luckily i saved one complete set and swapped them.

welded up my front diff armor from marlin

rolled and moved back my steering box

then i gusseted the front frame inside corners due to reading about the problems people had when the didn't and ended up having to do a bunch of work.

and here she sits

yoshaleng

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 134
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jun 22, 2012, 04:40:24 PM »
Wow...that did a number on your birfeild.

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #36 on: Jun 22, 2012, 07:36:22 PM »
Sucks that youhad your front end crap out on you so quick. Good job gettting it all fixed. If you are looking for a set of spares I still have my old stock mini truck birfields and inner axles. If we dont hit the trail some time before Round up, I'll atleast meet you there. And if your looking for a group to drive in with check with Steve, I am sure you would be more then welcome.
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

86yoter [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '12
  • and the work continues
    • View Profile
    • 86' runner build
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #37 on: Jun 23, 2012, 09:27:43 AM »
 ya thanks bud. it was nice to find out not on the trail and right here in town. but i guess the axle just thought i needed the practice. there was also no grease on that side. at all.

bought my 4.7 for my case and the adaptor for 4cyc auto trans to gear driven case. WOW talk about a pretty penny for that chuck of billet. and i also picked up some big bumps from marlin for the front. so i will be installing those soon. all three of my kids are in washington with my dad. what a guy took all three. an 8, 6, and 4 year old. the oldest is my boy and the younger two are girls. good luck dad. so a little more time to do some work without hiefy wifey  needing my help with something.

i found a set of bilstiens, two 10" and two 14" for a C note. pretty good deal i thought. they were a little tarnished but nothing a good sos pad couldn't clean up. now my yoter rides great, sticks to the ground and feels like i am in more control. I didn't realize that a good set would make such a difference.

and i will be getting ride of her for a night next friday and most of saturday. so daddy is working on the truck for many hours those days. i figure this will be a good time to attempt to install the gears.

soon i will be getting some sliders made and a rear bumper. i have two weeks until some buddies go up to the con and i want to make it this time i am so close i can feel it.

Can't Wait!!!!!!

quote author=John Doe link=topic=88493.msg1015298#msg1015298 date=1340418982]
Sucks that youhad your front end crap out on you so quick. Good job gettting it all fixed. If you are looking for a set of spares I still have my old stock mini truck birfields and inner axles. If we dont hit the trail some time before Round up, I'll atleast meet you there. And if your looking for a group to drive in with check with Steve, I am sure you would be more then welcome.
[/quote]
i do need to get ahold of steve i actually just saw him 2 fridays ago on his way to fordyce. i just want to get this thing hooked up and ready to go.
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2013, 07:54:17 AM by 86yoter »

86yoter [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '12
  • and the work continues
    • View Profile
    • 86' runner build
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #38 on: Feb 10, 2013, 01:49:46 PM »
so i have some updates that i havent posted up .  i guess driving was to much fun. the geared t case is in. it was done mostly by a buddy and his friend. it was the first for everyone on the auto trans chain driven case to gear. put the twin sticks on and went to the con a few times. had issues with the auto trans the first trip but it was due to not enough fluid. so it was slipping a little on the inclines. not a little it was like it just would fall out like i pushed in the cluch.  now we have enough fluid and it has been a champion.

taking the old chain t-case out.

there was some linkage mod to do so the geared case will have a neutral. so you have to take the oil pan off the trans to take out the bottom half so you can access

you also have to cut off part of the out put on the trans to be able to plug it off from tranny oil leaking into the tcase.

wish i could have got better pics of the case when it was installed but this is what i got.....

then twin sticks hole cut out and ready to go. it comes up right where the change pocket is.

i will soon post more........ because more has been done........

86yoter [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '12
  • and the work continues
    • View Profile
    • 86' runner build
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 86' auto runner build
« Reply #39 on: Feb 14, 2013, 09:14:12 AM »
so i picked up some 2" sliders from steve at golden state. came with everything. 
 they came out alright but i already want to cut them off and tuck them in a little more but i will see what happens the first crawlen trip.

86yoter [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '12
  • and the work continues
    • View Profile
    • 86' runner build
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #40 on: Feb 14, 2013, 09:25:49 AM »
when i did my T-case install originaly we kinda hacked it in with old square u bolts and a tack weld. it was off center and diaganel. it also would bang up against the body and i thought it was because of the new mount at first but then while looking under there it was because everything was out of wack. 
Old way........

New way.....

I like it better..... everything is straight and even sounds better under there. i just need to make or by a better mount for the tcase and i will be happy with that. there is no more banging the body either...  :cheese:

86yoter [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '12
  • and the work continues
    • View Profile
    • 86' runner build
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #41 on: Feb 14, 2013, 09:33:32 AM »
so last weekend i was driving down the highway and BAM! i get pulled over by this guy...

He proceeds to talk to me about all these things he can write me up for and bla bla bla. he ended up giving me a ticket for my front licence plate but and a warning for mud flaps. he said that if he pulled me over again for no mud flaps he can take me to jail. i think that is crazy... anyways i needed some so this is what i came up with until i get a rear bumper.....

now he cant say nothing........ well about that

86yoter [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '12
  • and the work continues
    • View Profile
    • 86' runner build
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #42 on: Feb 23, 2013, 08:15:35 AM »
well i have ordered a zip locker for my front hp and will soon be converting the a/c compressor for onboard air. with a tank. cant wait for the zip, i am sick of being in the snow and there is one tire that needs to be moving that isnt.  Also have some new longs and long hub gears to install when the locker comes in.  then i need to start focusing on my engine and all the crap in that compartment.  Just last monday i installed a new manifold gasket and found out i have a stripped out threads in the head.  and its the back on so i cant just drill it out because the angle so... i dont want to take off the head because that would just cost more in parts. so i might just take the brake booster off and i might just get the right angle.