Author Topic: 73' FJ40 - The Garage Cruiser  (Read 39768 times)

redrocket93

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 690
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
73' FJ40 - The Garage Cruiser
« on: Feb 25, 2012, 06:31:38 PM »
A few years back a friend of mine wanted me to do a little side work by way of a spring over and V8 swap into his FJ40. So away we go. Got mostly done with the spring over and halfway done with the engine swap. Friend runs out of money, and tows the project back to his place were it sits for 2 years while he can save some cash. During this time he decides he wants to build it right and do a frame off resto, send the tub out for rust repair and paint. In the mean time, I would do the rest of work to make a clean, capable, streetable trail rig, yet still mild by todays standards. Hopefully we’ll have it on the trail by this summer. This is my first FJ40 build, I've built a couple minitrucks and 4runners, so bear with me.

Specs.

Stock GM TBI 350 with a howell EFI kit and block hugger headers.
Front axle: 76’ fine spline FJ40 with trail gear six shooter mini truck knuckles and high steer, bobby long 30 spline kit, 4.10’s and an ARB
Rear axle: 76’ fine spline FJ40 with ruff stuff antiwrap bar, GM disc brakes, 4.10’s and an ARB
Trans and T-case: SM420 mated to a 3 speed FJ40 t-case with AA twin sticks and case re-inforcement plate.
Suspension: Spring over and front shackle reversal with cut and turned knucksles and stock flipped leafs.
Other mods: Bud built 3/16” quarter panels, metal tech front stinger, tube fenders, sliders and cage, 37” KM2’s, Saginaw power steering, painless wiring kit, Line X interior,

Pics from 08’. I didn’t take as many pics back then. This was after the motor was pulled and spring over was mostly done.

Motor and radiator in and starting to layout wiring before owner decided to pull the body.

Now back at my place this last November. Working on tube fenders, shock hoops and sliders before pulling body tub.

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Re: 73' FJ40 - The Garage Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2012, 06:32:32 PM »
Stripping and pulling body tub, Ruff stuff antiwrap bar, boxing body mounts.

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2012, 06:33:21 PM »
Quarter panels, parking brake rebuild, POR 15 frame, Twin sticks, and front stinger with removable front bumper via tube disconnects.

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2012, 06:34:06 PM »
A couple pics of what we started with. My friend bought it from his Uncle and it has been in the family for decades. Has a lot of sentimental value to my buddy. Pretty cool.

After the rainy drive from his house to mine. It only stalled out and wouldn't restart in the middle of one busy intersection. :flipoff2:

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2012, 06:34:52 PM »
More progress last night. Got the front bumper prepped and ready for the 8274. Don't have the winch yet, but went off the blue prints from Warn's website. Hopefully they're right :flipoff2:. Gonna lay on a few coats of POR15 and krylon satin this weekend to finish up the bumper.

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2012, 06:35:34 PM »
Well, early next week turned into a month later. We finally got to pick up the body yesterday. It did turn out great though. We went with Budbuilt 3/16" quarter panels with a custom trim to clear the 37's and rear axle re-location.

The wifey was thrilled about the body panels in the living room. :D

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2012, 06:36:26 PM »
Made some progress today. Had to clearance the floor and trans tunnel for the twin sticks wanted nice flat surface for the shift boots to go. I managed to cobble this together. Sheetmetal is not my bag, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

The interior's gonna get line-x'd very soon. That should help the trans tunnel blend with the rest of the floor.

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2012, 06:37:10 PM »
Starting assembling some of the body today. Got the tailgate mounted and Put the radiator and grill together. I couldn't be happier with how the front end turned out. Putting in a full day tomorrow, should make some decent progress and take more pics.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2012, 10:55:24 PM »
Coming along great. Always wanted to build an FJ40. Really like the front bumper.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

fj-rankenstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Jan '05
  • my yard looks like toyota circa 1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2012, 10:40:46 AM »
really good looking build..     how much work were the  Budbuilt 3/16" quarter panels to get looking smooth??  it looks like on the budbuilt website that the corners look like they were done in a brake wrather than in a roller..  or did yours come smooth?? 
the never ending build...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12165.0;highlight=extend-a-toy

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2012, 12:16:37 PM »
Dude! Awesome work man. Baby come yet?
You'll never take me alive

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2012, 08:04:12 PM »
Coming along great. Always wanted to build an FJ40. Really like the front bumper.

Thanks and Me too. Someday I'll have one of my own. For now I get to build this one and live vicariously through the owner/friend.

really good looking build..     how much work were the  Budbuilt 3/16" quarter panels to get looking smooth??  it looks like on the budbuilt website that the corners look like they were done in a brake wrather than in a roller..  or did yours come smooth??  

Thanks. I didn't do any of the bodywork but the body guy told they were pretty easy to smooth out. He just hit them up with a grinder to knock down the high spots and them smoothed them out with some body filler. They came press bent just like pictured on the website. Very high quality piece.

Dude! Awesome work man. Baby come yet?

Thanks man! No boy yet. He was due last tuesday! I guess he's just gonna be fashionably late. We are scheduled to have labor induced tomorrow morning. I'm pretty juiced.

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2012, 08:08:33 PM »
Got a little more done today. Mocked up the fenders so I could make some brackets to bolt the side skirts to them (forgot to this before paint). The the fenders are ready to be sprayed black.

Polished up the original emblems and side marker light bezels. Look pretty damn good for 40 year old parts.

Used all stainless steel hardware for the tailgate and am gonna use it for all exposed hardware.

Parting shot.

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 930
  • Male Posts: 761
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2012, 08:50:27 PM »
following this, great build!
1988 Blue Std Cab: SAS, Longs, HP/ARB/5.29 Front, ARB/5.29 Rear, Marlin Dual Ultimate w/ 23 Spline MC07XD-R10, Marlin 30 Spline Front & Rear Output Shafts, Dave's Triple shifter, FROR crossmember, Bilstein 12" f+r, RUF w/ 63s, 7in bob, 40x13.5x17 MTR's on Racelines Monster Beadlocks 17x9.5

build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=80954.510

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2012, 10:25:26 PM »
Me likey...
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:06:16 AM »
looks great. makes me want to get mine painted properly now  :beerchug:
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

874runnertoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:12:33 AM »
Sick build

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2012, 10:22:33 PM »
Been busy lately.

Got the aftermarket heater bolted up, pedal assembly's cleaned painted and installed with new pedal pads.

Also installed the headers and gear reduction starter.

Had to cut up the tub for the 28 gallon fuel tank we're running http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/fj40fueltanklr28gal.htm. Welded in patch panels and seam sealed.

Recovered the dash pad and installed the glove box and ash tray.

Also mounted up the radiator puke tank.

Installed brand new OE emblems for the rear quarter.

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Mar 16, 2012, 10:32:30 PM »
Love the way those emblems look :smokin: Nice work :beer:

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 16, 2012, 11:14:25 PM »
omg, is he gonna wheel it?
that first scratch is gonna hurt, lol

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 2012, 11:33:52 PM »
Yep, he plans on wheelin it. Probably just a couple Fordyce and Rubicon runs a year. He'll be careful but a few scratches and dings are part of the game.
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2012, 08:01:29 AM by redrocket93 »

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 17, 2012, 08:04:31 PM »
My boss just bought one that same color a few weeks ago.  I just saw it yesterday and it's not nearly as nice as yours and it's all original.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 21, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
Been chuggin along on this the past couple days. Started working on the rear axle.

Made new hard lines and remembered how much I hate flaring brake line. The POS double flaring tool I bought at Napa :pokinit: the bed on the first flare. Ended up renting one from vatozone and surprisingly it worked great.

Not to thrilled on how low these caliper brackets put the calipers. Seems like they'll be rock anchors so they might get changed.

Also got the ruff stuff diff cover bolted up. Had to grind a little bit off it to clear the ring gear. Not a big deal though.

awhotrods

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 154
  • Male Posts: 1,203
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 21, 2012, 10:23:13 PM »
It's looking good!!  What kind of heater unit did you run? 

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 21, 2012, 10:24:10 PM »
Sweet! Nicely done

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 22, 2012, 08:20:14 AM »
It's looking good!!  What kind of heater unit did you run? 

it's a vintage air unit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VTA-506101/

Seems like a nice little setup. Very compact and fits nicely behind the dash of a 40. Also has defrost that I'll be ducting to the factory defrost vents.

Sweet! Nicely done

Thanks man.

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1254
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 22, 2012, 10:33:04 AM »
Wow, looks great! Can't wait to see the finished product!

kycrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 15
  • Member since Sep '10
  • It didn't look that deep !
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 23, 2012, 11:18:42 AM »
A few years back a friend of mine wanted me to do a little side work by way of a spring over and V8 swap into his FJ40. So away we go. Got mostly done with the spring over and halfway done with the engine swap. Friend runs out of money, and tows the project back to his place were it sits for 2 years while he can save some cash. During this time he decides he wants to build it right and do a frame off resto, send the tub out for rust repair and paint. In the mean time, I would do the rest of work to make a clean, capable, streetable trail rig, yet still mild by todays standards. Hopefully we’ll have it on the trail by this summer. This is my first FJ40 build, I've built a couple minitrucks and 4runners, so bear with me.

Specs.

Stock GM TBI 350 with a howell EFI kit and block hugger headers.
Front axle: 76’ fine spline FJ40 with trail gear six shooter mini truck knuckles and high steer, bobby long 30 spline kit, 4.10’s and an ARB
Rear axle: 76’ fine spline FJ40 with ruff stuff antiwrap bar, GM disc brakes, 4.10’s and an ARB
Trans and T-case: SM420 mated to a 3 speed FJ40 t-case with AA twin sticks and case re-inforcement plate.
Suspension: Spring over and front shackle reversal with cut and turned knucksles and stock flipped leafs.
Other mods: Bud built 3/16” quarter panels, metal tech front stinger, tube fenders, sliders and cage, 37” KM2’s, Saginaw power steering, painless wiring kit, Line X interior,

Pics from 08’. I didn’t take as many pics back then. This was after the motor was pulled and spring over was mostly done.

Motor and radiator in and starting to layout wiring before owner decided to pull the body.

Now back at my place this last November. Working on tube fenders, shock hoops and sliders before pulling body tub.

I have always wanted and FJ, looks good .

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 27, 2012, 09:06:02 PM »
Got the steering column mounted up today. Built mounts for it at the dash and firewall. Huge thanks to my buddy Greg (AgitatedPancake on here) for cutting out the steering column firewall plate and a few other things with his torchmate.

Said plate

We used a 32" ididit tilt steering Column

Borgenson steering shaft and joints. Very tight fit with the headers but will work out great.

Radiator support rods with firewall flanges cut out on the torchmate. Also got the washer fluid bottle in it's final resting place.

Plate to cover the factory heater box opening that will house the battery hold down.

Also assembled the hood and laid it in place to see what it looks like. Put together with brand new black powter coated hood hold downs and new rubber bumpstops for the windshield.

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar 27, 2012, 09:27:33 PM »
Dude! She is coming together nicely!