Author Topic: '94 Toyota pickup electrical problem.....need help  (Read 6607 times)

Bulldawg901

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
'94 Toyota pickup electrical problem.....need help
« on: Feb 14, 2005, 07:05:08 PM »
I bought this truck because my current job has me offroad on a daily basis.  Whenever I get in a slippery situation, whether it be mud or ice..etc., and I put the truck in reverse to back up, if my tires spin then my gauge cluster fuse will blow.  Like clock work it only does it in reverse, and the majority of the time my tires have to break loose (i.e. spin) but it has done it without them spinning.  This wouldn't be that big of a deal but since I am in mud every freaking day, I replace the fuse about twice a day. Any suggestions would be wonderful

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
man thats fd up, there must B a bare wire that is in ur dash, and when ur truck goes backwards, it grounds out, blowing ur fuse, it must B something like that, bc thair is no electrical stuff that changes when the tires slip,  let me kno how it turns out or if u have any q's
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Last I knew the gauge light fused was tied into the running lights, I would start by checking your bulbs for clear contact, making sure they are the correct bulbs, get an ohm meter and check for shorts,  or bare wires contacting ground (with battery disconnected), start with reverse circuit, something is drawing the amps and rocking your fuse ( try disconnecting your reverse pickup wire on trans and put the truck in reverse see what happens)

Good Luck
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
I was about to say what Plowking said to do.

( try disconnecting your reverse pickup wire on trans and put the truck in reverse see what happens)

Weird thing about that is that my tach on my 81 is completely messed up and reads 2250 RPM at idle (WHEN it is not) and when I put it in reverse, it reads normal.. Very weird.. Im sure thats got to be pretty annoying.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Referring to
<Weird thing about that is that my tach on my 81 is completely messed up and reads 2250 RPM at idle (WHEN it is not) and when I put it in reverse, it reads normal.. Very weird..>
Check your cluster out it may have a ground problem
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
I dont really care. It works on occasion. When i do ground it to a different place, it still doesnt work. POS. Im about to say all hell with it and just buy an external one. If I get bored I will try grounding it to a diff place though... It works when the window wipres are on too. Its old so I dont really care too much. I know where my RPMs are at
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
 Dosent stop it from going thats all that matters.I bought an msd 6 series and did the tach adaptor, added quite a bit of spark, and has worked trouble free for 5+ years
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
hey maybe the reverse lights are shorting out, so when u put it into reverse it takes out ur running lights
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

Bulldawg901 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
thanks for all the help, i haven't thought about checking the bulbs.   Like I said earlier it wouldn't be that big of a deal but since my speedometer and fuel gauge goes out it makes driving difficult when I get back on the road.  Thanks again and I will look at all that is suggested

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
I was thinking that it might be in the reverse lights also . But 94 IS the first year with an electronic spedo. it may have something to do w/ the spedo trying to go backwards (even though it isn't supposed to.)