Author Topic: Strange electrical problem '02 F250  (Read 3823 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Strange electrical problem '02 F250
« on: Oct 23, 2007, 07:13:09 PM »
Hey guys, I've got an '02 F250 with power door locks, windows, etc.  When I shut the truck off (under normal conditions) as long as I don't open the door, I can still roll up the windows, and the radio continues to play.  As soon as I open my door, everything shuts off. :thumbs:

Today when I got home from work, I shut off the truck, opened the door, and the radio continued to play, and I could roll the windows up and down (yes, the ignition was in the off position, and the key was out. )  I wiggled the wires in the wire cover going to the door, and nothing happened.  futzed with it some more, finally the stupid truck shut off when I locked, unlocked, and locked the doors again. 

Anyone else have this problem?  :dunno:  power lock related? 

Also, on a side note, my door ajar indicator won't go off, even if the doors are completely shut.  related? :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

rockwarrior

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Re: Strange electrical problem '02 F250
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2007, 07:28:41 PM »
I got an '03 its all tied into the door open mechanism.  if the light wont go off then the switch is bad.

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2007, 07:29:53 PM »
I got an '03 its all tied into the door open mechanism.  if the light wont go off then the switch is bad.

is it a switch under the dash?  in the door panel?  in the door jamb?  Know how hard it is to replace?

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

rockwarrior

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2007, 09:04:07 PM »
The switch is in the latch mechanism Try to spray with WD40 on all your doors.  And check the fuse in the dash fuse box.  Try this site http://f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193352&page=2 they also have people on there with F250 and same problem with dome and stereo playing.

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2007, 09:26:09 PM »
:thumbs:  thanks dude!

-Ronald Reagan

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2007, 08:41:52 AM »
your switch in your door mechanism is stickin, like he said try cleaning it up with wd40 and it should take care of it. worse case scenario replace the switch.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

LOCKEDRUNNER

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 66
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:03:04 AM »
Theres a mirco switch in the door lock.Spray so WD40 lube around the door lock.The switch is sticking causing the door ajar lamp to stay on and the interior lamps will stay on when this happens. The switches are prone to stick due to dirt.

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2007, 12:33:29 PM »
Theres a mirco switch in the door lock.Spray so WD40 lube around the door lock.The switch is sticking causing the door ajar lamp to stay on and the interior lamps will stay on when this happens. The switches are prone to stick due to dirt.

What they all said is correct! Just totally spray a crap load of wd 40 in it. My dads F150 had the same problem  :yupyup:
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

89toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,003
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2007, 03:24:55 PM »
What they all said is correct! Just totally spray a crap load of wd 40 in it. My dads F150 had the same problem  :yupyup:

my 99 f-250...drove 600 miles with the "door ajar" light on till I figured out what was wrong...WD-40 did the trick. 
He who dies with the most toys...still dies.

Dooner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 217
  • Male Posts: 769
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Invest in precious metal
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2007, 11:38:28 PM »
Any chance your windshield is leaking when it rains? If it does there is a high probability that water is running down the inside of the windshield, down into your dash, following your wiring down to the fuse box and collecting in the fuse box cover, where the fuses and the relays sit submerged in water. Pop your cover off after a good rain or after washing the truck and you'll see what I mean. Pull your fuses out to see if they are corroded. Drop the fuse box and see if any of your wires are shorted or if the connectors are melted. The fusebox is live even with the key out of the ignition, so when there is a short, the wires to the stereo etc are often back fed with current, which is often the cause of the radio or windows operating with no key. If it shorts to ground the batteries will go dead as current will be flowing day and night. If you have a dead short, sufficient amperage will flow to smoke wires and result in an underdash fire.
Just make sure your not taking in water... personal experience
Mike
"Project Land Cruzah" In Land Cruiser Section
71 FJ40 327/465/ 4.7 Mini T/c, Trussed, Armored Mini Axles w/ High Cross Over, Aussie Lockers & 30 spline Longs.  p/s 35's, SOA, , .  86 Burb D-60 14 bolt 350/400/205 37's.  02 F350 Tow Barge, Toyo 38's, Banks 5" Wicked wheel turbo, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, Blah Blah Blah