Author Topic: Weird electrical problem  (Read 1904 times)

yota-tota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 17
  • Male Posts: 232
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
Weird electrical problem
« on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:22:58 PM »
ok for what ever reason my high beams like to come on automaticlly some times...usually when it's wet. I can't turn them off when they come on and if i pull the high beam fuse the lights go out alltogether, the lights even stayed on after i shut the truck off :screwy:. I was thinking it could be somthing with the daytime running lights but i'm not sure and i hate trouble shooting electrical problems  :hammerhead:
91 toy truggy on h2 injection, hacked n chopped n locked n SAS'd rolling 36" IROKS........doubler comming soon

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
Re: Weird electrical problem
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:44:54 PM »
Sounds like your head light relay is bad. Take it out & see if the terminals are corroaded. If they are, replace the relay. You can also swap the relay for for another & try it to make sure it solves the problem so you don't buy something you don't need.  :crossed:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:46:57 PM »
what truck do you have that has daytime running lights?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

yota-tota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:59:46 PM »
Well the dimmer relay looks fine i assume that's the relay your talking about? My rig is 91 and it has DRL's....i thought there was a way to cut a wire and get rid of it but i can't remember.
91 toy truggy on h2 injection, hacked n chopped n locked n SAS'd rolling 36" IROKS........doubler comming soon

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2007, 10:30:40 PM »
If it's a 91 with the daytime running lights I'm pretty sure it's an aftermarket add on somebody installed on their own.  If they're turing on when they get wet I'd assume there's a short.  Your light tester is your best friend for this!  Force the issue, get everything wet and start stabbing it around the connections, backtracking till you find out where the power is originating from.  If it is infact an add on that somebody installed I'd be willing to be they ran something too tight and it's shorting out on the chassis, maybe water helps bridge the gap :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

yota-tota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2007, 02:01:58 PM »
Well the DRL's are deffently factory.....i guess it's only Canadian trucks that come with it if you yanks think it's some kinda add on :stopit:

The power is deffently coming from where it's supposed to, it's just the relay beeing a biiiiiiitch. I'll have to check out the ground too because it could be bad.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2007, 07:52:05 PM »
Ahhh, didn't remember you were a canook :haha:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!