Author Topic: chasing eletrical demons, HELP!  (Read 1951 times)

86sasturbo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 138
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
chasing eletrical demons, HELP!
« on: Nov 03, 2011, 11:44:58 PM »
Im having some problems with my std cab 1986 22rte truck. the right turn single works fine. the left causes the headlights to dim, the volt guage to bounce up and down violently and rpms droping with each click of the single. it makes the noise like its working but it isnt. sometimes if i turn it on while driving it shuts the motor on and off in rythem with clicking. please help. all bulbs are good
 :dunno:
"If you cant fix it with a hammer you more than likely have a electrical problem."

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Re: chasing eletrical demons, HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2011, 06:56:54 AM »
Sounds like you have a short in the wiring or socket for your left side. Make sure you don't have a pinched wire, bare hot wire touching to ground or even a damaged socket grounding out.

Does the flasher relay cycle real fast when the left turn signal is used? Slower normal rate when the right is used?
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

86sasturbo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2011, 09:19:51 PM »
yeah it does. i did some work today. fixed 1 vacuum leak, and also re did my body ground. Now both turn singles do not work, the relay does not click even. but on a lighter note the new improved body ground makes starting easier and idle much smoother :smokin: i just need to figure this turn single issue out. im buying a new camera on monday so i can detail this thread with pictures
"If you cant fix it with a hammer you more than likely have a electrical problem."

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2011, 09:23:59 PM »
since nothing works now you may have blown a fuse when you were messing wth the ground ?
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

socal 88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 46
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2011, 04:11:35 PM »
since nothing works now you may have blown a fuse when you were messing wth the ground ?

X2

86sasturbo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2011, 06:00:50 AM »
i keep blowing my tail light fuse, i have a miss on cylinder number 1, i have replaced plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, i tried adjusting my afm, it it kinda got away from my greasy fingers and spun. i had marked the stock location though but i cant figure out how many times to spin it. im having tons of problems out of nowhere :thumbdown:
also any fuse diagrams of incab fuses would be awesome, thanks in advance guys :thumbs:

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2011, 08:06:24 PM »
Air Flow Sensor Qualifier  Min  Max  Units  Measure
at
Terminal(s)  Footnote 
Plate Closed 20 400 Ohm E2 & VS 9
Plate Open 20 1200 Ohm E2 & VS 9
Note 9: Resistance is measured between terminals E2 & VS of airflow meter while moving measuring plate. 

VAF Sensor  Range 
Power Supply (Volts-DC) B+
Ground Level (Volts-DC) 0.001 - 0.1
Reference Constant from VAF Backprobed (Volts-DC) 6 - 10
Reference Voltage from PCM Open Circuit (Volts-DC) NA

TP Sensor  Range 
Reference (Volts-DC) 4.5 - 5.5
Ground Level (Volts-DC) 0 - 0.1
Closed Throttle (Volts-DC) 0.1 - 1
Wide Open Throttle (Volts-DC) 4 - 5
Closed Throttle Angle (Percentage) NA
Wide Open Throttle Angle (Percentage) NA
Idle Switch at Idle (Volts-DC) 0.1 - 1
Idle Switch Off Idle (Volts-DC) 4 - 14
WOT Switch at Idle (Volts-DC) NA
WOT Switch at WOT (Volts-DC) NA

do you have any cel codes? this could make diagnosis much easier i have copyed and pasted the voltage diagrams for both the tps and afm for you to adjust 
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2011, 08:30:49 PM »
Check your taillight housing for serious rust or corrosion in/or around the sockets.  This will cause feed back into your electrical system.   
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

86sasturbo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2011, 01:15:15 AM »
@yotaneck, thank you for all the info, how would i go about getting the codes? i have messed with my afm a little today. i have it running very smooth and great power, but seems to kinda fall on its face 4th and 5th gear.  :hammerhead: i dunno.i wont maintain freeway speed. also would burning oil from my turbo clog a cataleytic converter? becase i run a cat but stright pipe and it really quite. makes me think the cat may be clogged, it doesnt glow red and i installed it about 2 years ago. i mean i know its not a race car but i figure with 5.29's and 35's i should be able to go 65mph fairly easily.

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2011, 04:48:35 PM »
that big of tires it will loose power in 4th and 5th i always forget what plugs to jumper to read the flashes on your cel to get the code number ill look it up and get back to you but someone else may know which ones to juump