Author Topic: Do you F'n hate your job? Join the club!  (Read 2952 times)

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
Do you F'n hate your job? Join the club!
« on: May 11, 2011, 09:29:32 PM »
 :rant:

So the company I work for is such a complete joke. In a nutshell they reward people for calling in sick constantly and doing nothing. Those of us who bust our ass and work hard get shafted year after year. Our merit increase for the year is typically based off of your complete years worth of performance which makes sense right?  you do good all year long and you get rewarded for it... yea not this company. They decided last minute for some ignorant reason to go off of 4th quarter numbers. Which completely screwed me because I was out for 3 weeks due to a back injury that I obtained ON THE JOB (see prior note about busting your ass at work)

Fast forward from January to now, in that span of time i've had multiple sit down meetings with my manager and supervisor. Giving my compelling arguements, (the fact that I was rated top performer of the year, top mindshare of the year and part of what they call the x-team)  which is basically the elite group that does all the worst calls that no one else wants to deal with to ensure they get done correctly. All this acounted to absolutely nothing. Having the highest numbers of the entire North Valley got me enrolled into the jolly of the month club!  (See National Lampoons Christmas Vacation)

I was absolutely floored today when I got a call from my manager so that he could tell me he had a sit down with his boss and HR just to find out that there's nothing they can do. It was brought up from corporate to do a 4th quarter eval and for those of us who did good the entire year didn't get sh*t for it...

This is where it get's really frustrating because this makes me want to throw up a huge middle finger and say "get bent" to everything and everyone. Just start doing the bare minimum since it seems to work out in everyone else's favor.. but for some odd reason I just can't bring myself to it. The ONLY! reason I started working for this company is because of the satisfaction I get dong the right thing for customers. Ensuring that they've got the best service possible...of course in return why wouldn't I want a little compensation for it?  I earned it right?  ... ha...   :maddest:

rant over

:rant: 

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Do you F'n hate your job? Join the club!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 09:46:02 PM »
haha, sounds like my job, once you get that sergent stripe, you no longer have to work, you just get the airman to do it all.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 09:47:40 PM »
I'm sorry Shamb but I got to do it!!!

It sounds like you need to start putting out some resumes, and keep your ears open.  I'm getting the same feeling at my job.  But since there really isn't alot of good paying jobs where I live, I'm kinda stuck where I'm at.  And moving to a better location, isn't really an option for me.  At this point in time.  So, I know what your talking about.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 09:52:31 PM »
sounds like you work for a large compy. small biz would know the dif. beteew a lazy :moon: and the guy getting it done. large outfits some time just don't. yes your killing yourself for nothing, sorry.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 10:45:41 PM »
Sadly that's not always the case.  My company is very large but our local shop is small.  Management doesn't seem to understand who really keeps it going smooth in the back room since they're almost always up front, but seems to think the people who kiss ass when they do come out back are the real go getters.  Makes me sick, but the customers know and appreciate what we do and quite often compliment me on how hard I'm working, how well I'm leading or how much attention to detail I put into my work.  Now if only more of them would go back up front and tell the managers...
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 08:05:35 AM »
Sadly that's not always the case.  My company is very large but our local shop is small.  Management doesn't seem to understand who really keeps it going smooth in the back room since they're almost always up front, but seems to think the people who kiss ass when they do come out back are the real go getters.  Makes me sick, but the customers know and appreciate what we do and quite often compliment me on how hard I'm working, how well I'm leading or how much attention to detail I put into my work.  Now if only more of them would go back up front and tell the managers...

That was me when I worked at Les Scwhab years ago.  I got tired of hearing from management why are we not getting the cars done on time.  So, I focused on the service bays and tried to stay away from the counter.  But the management thought I was slacking and trying to "hide" from doing my job.  Until they "Permanently Laid me off!"  Then they really saw the big picture.  But being let go was the best thing for me.  It was a blessing in disguise.  If I stayed there, and played their little mind games, I'd probably would have had back, knee, and shoulder surgeries by now. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 09:12:12 AM »
"Oh you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? They have a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar." - George Carlin
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 09:35:31 AM »
Now if only more of them would go back up front and tell the managers...

You know what's interesting about this?   My manager/supervisor DOES see how well i'm dong. Every call I go on the customer get's a post call and they rate me on my performance. I had the highest rate of satisfaction for 2010  on top of everything else... which in my profession is extremely hard believe it or not. I do so much work in the background that no one see's, follow up's and such on my days off. Calling customers to ensure everything is still working correctly after I left for intermittant issues... all sorts of things. It's like adding salt to the wound when my supervisor AND manager tell me "you did everything absolutely correct, you couldn't have done a greater job, we totally agree with you"   yet this mean's nothing?!   everyone's in agreeance that I got screwed but no one's willing to stick their neck out for me and do something about it.

I've told all of this to my manager, of which used to be my supervisor. For some reason I had an assumption that we had created a bond in the sense that he knew exactly what I was all about and the type of work that I do... damn it's frustrating....

On a side note, I have been putting out my resume. Trying to get on with PG&E, my wife's out of school on July 7th.. when she get's into her career i'll probably go back to school to get a degree in electrical engineering. I already have a degree in computer science....

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 09:26:31 PM »
Is this a union shop...or a government agency?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 10:42:03 PM »
major telecommunications company
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 11:54:23 AM »
Yea large telecommunications company, I believe we're third largest in the world.

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »
Sorry to hear about it, and it's cold comfort knowing you are not alone. I hope you find something better (none of that "from the frying pan into the fire" business either). So much can depend not on the company, but on your co-workers and local management.

Guess I was lucky -- retired two years ago from a large telecom. Wasn't always peaches-n-cream but not too bad most of the time. Nothing I couldn't tolerate anyway. Working in a small rural area helped -- as well as accepting that there would be no advancements unless I moved, which I declined to do.

My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

HULK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 306
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 09:15:29 PM »
I definitely know what it is like to get screwed by a company.  I lost my job at a place where I was maintenance supervisor, then toro, that punk company bought the company I was working for out, then replaced us after we trained their losers.  When the retirement place got bought out, where I used to work, they had their own guys, and I lost my job 2 weeks before my wedding.  They told me that they needed me to train their guys for the last month before I was to be let go, so I told them to shove it up their rears and poke each other in their fruitful ways. :kickbutt:  So I got my own business going, and have been busy ever since. :beerchug:  

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 09:29:48 PM »
Shamb - I realize that your rant was exactly that, but ignoring the fact that you got screwed, did the "lazy" people really get the year end bonus?  There has to be some hard working non-superstar workers that qualified based on fourth quarter performance?

I work for the government so I know about getting paid the same as everyone else to do more.  In my case, there are about 4 or 5 people in my group that I consider to be equal or better than I am out of about 25.  Today I had to almost literally leave a bread crumb trail for another employee of the same grade that I am because they can't figure anything out for themselves.  I sent an email and said check this item that is listen in this place and you'll get the answer.  The response was very close to "huh?"  I called my bosses boss to give him status (I was the acting boss today) based on my 3 minutes of research because the other person hadn't managed to figure it out in probably several weeks.  Mini-rant off.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 09:28:25 PM »
 Yea I know for a fact that the "lazy" people got a fat bonus on top of a large merit increase... i've seen it with my own eyes.

On a side note, i've decided to just go with the flow and take my time. This has certainly limited the time I spend w/ my family after work because the past three day's i've worked close to a 13 hr day... but it'll be a nice pay check.. hopefully over time they will see this trend across the board and start doing something about it, especially when they're trying to cut down on O.T. Doesn't help when you have a supervisor that's basically filling a seat and collecting a paycheck...

Make's opening my own business sound just that much more enticing if I can swing it.

HULK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 10:09:02 PM »
Honestly Shamb, running your own business is not easy, it does take a lot of work, but the rewards are greater.  I got tired of working my butt off and getting screwed at the end.  No punn intended.  The thing is the hard part is finding the jobs, but once you get a few loyal customers, it is all word of mouth.  The first three months in business, I had 67 customers, this includes apartment complexes and rental houses.  The second year, I had 180+, third year I was up to like 320+, now I am over 500+.  I am a single working business man who does everything from electrical, which is what I am licensed to do, to flooring for customers who only trust me to do the work.  I am very good at what I do, and people appreciate it.  The only bad thing is that you do not have a steady income, which is where my wife's paychecks are helpful, plus the benefits thing from my wife too.  I always think about work for the following week, but something has always come up.  Yeah there were a couple days where I did not have work, but there are days I make easy $300 after taxes.  So it depends day to day.  I thought I would just share the info with whomever might be considering it.  I do have a ton of connections, so if you are thinking about it in the fresno, clovis, or madera areas, let me know, I'll hook you up. :thumbs: 

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
 Right on HULK, I appreciate it!

If I decided to open a business it wouldn't be in the telecom world.. i'd give that up completely and maybe just do wallfishing on the side when someone needed it...

As far as business, I've wanted to open up a restaurant for years. Something low key and down to earth like burgers and BBQ... i've been working on recipes for probably the past 5 years now and have came up w/ some great stuff  :)

If I did make my dream a reality it would be w/ the help of a steady income from my wife as well to ensure bill's get paid and medical coverage

HULK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
You know Shamb, I actually know people who want stuff done like flat screens hung up with surround systems, and stuff like that.  I had a friend who used to do it, but every time I would call him, he never showed.  I ended up having to do it, and I don't enjoy it personally.  I can get you those gigs all the time.  If you want to do the food thing, maybe start with a trailer and build up.  Do it on the side, either idea, until you get so busy to do it full time.  That is what I did.  When you are ready pm me and I'll send you my cell number and we can talk.  Are you going to Mike's garage this weekend? 

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 05:58:07 PM »
I don't hate my job, I hate to work period, I just want the government to pay everything for me. :gap:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 06:35:19 AM »
I don't hate my job, I hate to work period, I just want the government to pay everything for me. :gap:

Welfare!    ha...

Are you going to Mike's garage this weekend?

Btw I get asked all the time if I do side work for things like that, maybe i'll start taking 'em up on it.

HULK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 07:21:20 AM »
Let me know and I'll send you some side work Shamb.  I started doing things on the side after work, little at a time, then on some saturdays at first, just to get going, then when I decided to go full time, I stopped saturdays, and get every weekend off now.  I think this board might be a good place for people who need some side work to help one another out.  I have a buddy that is a marlin member who does tile work, and another who is good at a lot of things like me as well.  I try to send them work when I can if they are not too busy, they take the jobs.  You guys think it may be a good idea?  Let me know.  I think this could help us all get through this rediculous depression this economy is going through.