Author Topic: no body damage on marlin  (Read 15546 times)

SCyotacrawler420

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 84
  • Male Posts: 132
  • Member since Nov '08
  • work hard... play even harder
    • View Profile
Re: no body damage on marlin
« Reply #60 on: Dec 04, 2010, 01:28:48 PM »
ya, if by any means of :pokinit: starting i did not intend that, im as to curious as how it is always soooo clean. an i know he has been wheelin for years but some people take it to far with the whole marlin thing... he is just a man like everyone else. he just has made wheelin his life an made something out of it an changed the t case world. so nobody go freakin ( :yikes: ) out too soon. its just a forum.  :beerchug:

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 596
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
    • My YOTA Pics (click here)
« Reply #61 on: Dec 04, 2010, 04:47:52 PM »
Why is everyone hating on Marlin?
whos hateing!??   :sleepy:
:usa: 92 xcab, full width, 39.5 boggers, beadlocks, 60 f arb 5.86s , 60 r spool , duals, 4.7 rear... 3.sl0, bobed , all pro 6 inch leafs f and r :usa:

Yota Rolla

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 340
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Dec 04, 2010, 10:44:25 PM »
82 locked,geared,cased,caged daily

rockcrawlinredneck

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jul '06
  • 1st Gen's rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Dec 09, 2010, 05:32:39 PM »
or maybe, he doesnt wheel hard trails... cause lil sluice box would destroy toyotas like his... an even mine an mine is savagely built

Why do you say that? I have one of the cleanist (in my opinion) 1st gens I have ever seen on the trails, it gets wheeled, and wheeled hard! It has been through the box, soup bowl, big sluice, up cadillac, all the winch hills on Fordyce and it is still clean. It does have a small patch of "love scrapes" from soup bowl, but it is still really clean for what it is! Definatly not "destroyed" from the box. Here is a pic of the ONLY damage I got from running the box.

Proof its been in the box!

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Dec 09, 2010, 05:36:48 PM »
wow cool ur has been there!!! lucky!!!!!!
:usa: 92 xcab, full width, 39.5 boggers, beadlocks, 60 f arb 5.86s , 60 r spool , duals, 4.7 rear... 3.sl0, bobed , all pro 6 inch leafs f and r :usa:

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Dec 09, 2010, 08:06:32 PM »
that is a badass yellow yota  :beerchug: I wanna go play in the box.........  :down:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

Coastie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 296
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Dec 09, 2010, 08:58:19 PM »
 :gap:  nice toy.....

SCyotacrawler420 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Dec 09, 2010, 11:38:21 PM »
ya, i mean i guess if you have 3 t cases or like using your duals with 4.7's an what not you will never get body damage cause you will never get through the trail in one year... hahaha, jk. i got duals an 4.7s, but i mean some trail are just impossible to hit an not get body damage. an that yellow rig is clean as hell... but its never been in tank trap. the only way you can tell if a wheeler has hit tank trap is if there top left part of the cab is crushed... haha

Yota Rolla

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Dec 10, 2010, 01:54:14 AM »
ya, i mean i guess if you have 3 t cases or like using your duals with 4.7's an what not you will never get body damage cause you will never get through the trail in one year... hahaha, jk. i got duals an 4.7s, but i mean some trail are just impossible to hit an not get body damage. an that yellow rig is clean as hell... but its never been in tank trap. the only way you can tell if a wheeler has hit tank trap is if there top left part of the cab is crushed... haha
yea for sure got to love the canyon

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Dec 10, 2010, 09:25:21 AM »
ya tank trap is hard to not get any body damage on.. ha good luck trying

rockcrawlinredneck

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jul '06
  • 1st Gen's rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:56:48 AM »
ya, i mean i guess if you have 3 t cases or like using your duals with 4.7's an what not you will never get body damage cause you will never get through the trail in one year...

So I guess building your rig to handle the trails you want to run is not the way to do things? I guess you should grab all them guys doing buggies with coil overs and atlas 4 speeds and tell them there doing it wrong. I was not aware you were supposed to grab any truck and floor it, bounce off every rock in site, destroy your truck to "wheel the hardcore trails".

fj-rankenstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Jan '05
  • my yard looks like toyota circa 1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Dec 11, 2010, 09:29:24 AM »
this thread, like most is becoming quite lame regarding how "hardcore" you can be...    if its your thing to spend hours and hours building something only to be foolish and go and wrecking it, then thats your issue but i dont understand why it means to some people that when your rig is beat to crap you are more hardcore than anyone else...  really,  it just means that you dont respect your truck and care less for what you built over the next guy that enjoys having a clean rig and actually displays skill while wheeling..   anyone with a built truck can go through anything and get body damage from front to back but its the skilled drivers that can go through those same obstacles and come through with next to nothing for damage..  these are the impressive guys and girls...
granted, we all get dings and scrapes doing things but i dont understand why Marlin would go through any obstacles just to prove how "hardcore" he can be when there is risk of him severly wrecking his truck....  he has been wheeling before a lot of you were even born and i dont think he cares to beat up his well built rolling advertisment of a truck just to impress some kids who show little to no respect to their trucks just because its considered fashionable to show little skill while driving...
yikes  :smack:
the never ending build...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12165.0;highlight=extend-a-toy

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

greg_k113

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Male Posts: 224
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Dec 11, 2010, 09:38:42 AM »
Yeah what he said :thumbs:

SCyotacrawler420 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Dec 11, 2010, 12:37:25 PM »
im not saying much about hardcore. im still just wondering why no damage, but i have been gathering up that ya... he is past the whole young age an doesnt see a point in doing the amelessy hard trails cause it will just get body damage an his truck is super cherry. i was just wondering why it was so clean an never had a single scratch in any picture ive ever seen. not hating on him or his skill or anyones skill. im just a curoius kid. anthe whole buggy thing... they kinda do rally an destroy there trucks, its what they built them for. as did i... i earned all my money an am building one hell of a wheeler so i can try the harder trails

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Dec 11, 2010, 01:16:06 PM »
this thread, like most is becoming quite lame regarding how "hardcore" you can be...    if its your thing to spend hours and hours building something only to be foolish and go and wrecking it, then thats your issue but i dont understand why it means to some people that when your rig is beat to crap you are more hardcore than anyone else...  really,  it just means that you dont respect your truck and care less for what you built over the next guy that enjoys having a clean rig and actually displays skill while wheeling..   anyone with a built truck can go through anything and get body damage from front to back but its the skilled drivers that can go through those same obstacles and come through with next to nothing for damage..  these are the impressive guys and girls...
granted, we all get dings and scrapes doing things but i dont understand why Marlin would go through any obstacles just to prove how "hardcore" he can be when there is risk of him severly wrecking his truck....  he has been wheeling before a lot of you were even born and i dont think he cares to beat up his well built rolling advertisment of a truck just to impress some kids who show little to no respect to their trucks just because its considered fashionable to show little skill while driving...
yikes  :smack:
you dont have to read the thread if u wont want to!!!! :smack:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Dec 11, 2010, 02:06:02 PM »
yea for sure got to love the canyon

What fun is a "trail" you have to get towed through? :stopit:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Dec 11, 2010, 02:29:34 PM »
It important to remember that not everyone has the same goals for wheeling.  Some people are not willing to destroy their rigs just to prove they can get their truck everywhere that is sort of fits while others think that body damage is a badge of honer.  Some people will take a lot of time to figure out how to get through a difficult spot and others simply speed up.

I drive carefully and prefer a calculated approach to using speed.  If I'm convinced that the only possibility is body damage or breakage I'll happily take my DD on an easier route or avoid the trail all together.  If I had the opportunity to run a buggy I'd love to test my skills on some of the more wild stuff, but not in my DD, that would be nothing short of stupid.  I've taken my rig places that I'd bet most couldn't do without significant damage, but there are places I simply don't go.  I've run Pritchett Canyon three or four times without damage or breakage, but the last trip through I finally had to pull a winch on one of the hills.  I'm not sure if I'll go back for a while as spots are starting to get where I'll have to drive harder than I want without pulling the winch and I'd prefer to run trails that I can drive.  A winch, in my opinion is a recovery tool, not a way of getting somewhere, but I understand that some people think differently.

I'd say Marlin wheels more like me than the majority of you.  I'm on the conservative end of things but that doesn't mean I can't wheel with the best of you.

It's interesting that some look at the lack of damage on Marlin's truck as a good thing and others assume that it means that he doesn't wheel hard stuff.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

rockin86runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 871
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Dec 11, 2010, 03:14:30 PM »
iv done the canyon at hollister... thats the only time i would do it no reason to tear your rig up,, ya the trail was fun.. but marlin isnt in his dont give a shitt stage in life like most wheeler are..hes like me... i like to take my time enjoy the trail and have fun with my kid.. i hate seeing all the baja guy
85 toy runner tons 4link front and rear ORIs 42 pitbulls

86 runner some other things  pained orange STOLEN REWARD IF FOUND

70 cj-5 renegade1 buick 231 v-6 t-18 dana20 dana 30,44 32in BFG at 

:usa: USN SEABEE EO2 SCW .....We Build.We Fight.We Defend....Hoo-Rah  GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS :usa:

RABIDYOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Male Posts: 336
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Dec 11, 2010, 05:04:25 PM »
thought the point of dual cases and low gears was to crawl  pick the right gear and line and crawl through it   leave rock racing to buggies with v-8 and no bodys   build your rig for what and how you run

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #79 on: Dec 12, 2010, 05:44:20 AM »
Over the years I have wheeled many trails, in that time I've only done at the most minor damage to my trucks. My objective in any attempt at any trail is to minimize damage by picking my lines and yes even the use of a spotter at times. I don't need to take those alternate routes that guarantee severe damage to my rig, that would be plain ignorance on my part. Now if a section of a trail is unavoidable then yes I will with a technical approach and thought tackle anything before me but I will not and I repeat will not just stab and steer my way through anything. The things we do are very technical in nature and by just bashing your way through shows nothing but your lack of skill.

If you want to wheel like a buggy then by all means build one but to bash your full-bodied rig or even a truggy just shows that you truly don't get it. The majority of people that wheel their rigs not only want to try harder and harder obstacles but also want to show their skill at what they love to do.  I don't think for a minute that Marlin's truck has never received any damage in fact I know it has but like me instead of leaving it damaged it gets fixed, he respects his rig not just because it is the marque for his business but a way of life for him as it is for me.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Dec 12, 2010, 10:25:32 AM »
thought the point of dual cases and low gears was to crawl  pick the right gear and line and crawl through it...

Gears and beers don't always work together.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Dec 12, 2010, 10:29:31 AM »
Gears and beers don't always work together.
huh what country are u from ??   :rant:

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Dec 12, 2010, 08:21:17 PM »
huh what country are u from ??   :rant:

Are you telling me that you honestly believe that there's no stastical evidence to indicate that drivers that favor the skinny pedal are also likely to be drinking while driving rigs with body damage?

I've never seen anyone yell, "hold my beer," and then procede to drive slowly and carefully.

Goldrush

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 145
  • Male Posts: 1,381
  • Member since Jan '10
  • wheelin!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Dec 12, 2010, 08:25:19 PM »
Are you telling me that you honestly believe that there's no stastical evidence to indicate that drivers that favor the skinny pedal are also likely to be drinking while driving rigs with body damage?

I've never seen anyone yell, "hold my beer," and then procede to drive slowly and carefully.
i agree bro! good point!
-Zack- aka uncle Zack!                GOT MARLIN?

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Dec 12, 2010, 11:49:07 PM »

wow wow i have... i have countless stories about that kinda drivin.. a little skinny petal  , no big deal!!! thats how u make it through  obstickalz hahahaha

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:35:16 AM »
Body damage attracts bears...
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:54:13 AM »
Body damage attracts bears...

:funny:

Body damage doesn't rally bother me as long as the doors still close.   Make it or break it attitudes I don't quite understand though.  My wheeling opportunities are few and far between and the last thing I want to do 10 minutes after I start wheeling is stop to make a trail repair.  I'd rather wheel all weekend as opposed to fixing my junk all weekend. 
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

Yota Rolla

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:59:52 PM »
What fun is a "trail" you have to get towed through? :stopit:
well when a rookie wheeler wants to take his truck threw tank and doesnt mind body damage but has a stock truck you be a stand up guy and yank him threw what he cant make on his own every1 should have the rite to beat the hell out of there body on a trail if they want too that was prolly the most fun on tank. .

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:07:10 PM »
well when a rookie wheeler wants to take his truck threw tank and doesnt mind body damage but has a stock truck you be a stand up guy and yank him threw what he cant make on his own every1 should have the rite to beat the hell out of there body on a trail if they want too that was prolly the most fun on tank. .

true that... sounds like these other self proclaimed "wheelers" only mall crawl.. too scared to hit real trails!!!!!!   :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: 4 ya

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:15:06 PM »
Wtf has this thread turned into? Marlin dont got a beat ass truck cause it wouldnt appeal to MOST wheelers who buy his products. Being dragged thru a hardcore trail in a stock truck is gay, I could drag a daewoo up some stuff, be just as gay. I myself like rigs with body damage, but ony well used rigs, like ones on pirate, bein wheeled hard with no exo for 7 years plus, not dudes that take a truck and drink a beer, and mash the pedal down a trail, sure its fun, but no skill. Any cheerleader that drives a scion can hop in a built toyota and floor it up something, you dont need to beat your truck all the time to get places, ti showing off most times.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)