Author Topic: Rear Locker delema  (Read 7617 times)

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Locker delema
« Reply #30 on: Nov 11, 2010, 09:54:20 PM »
we install a lot of  the Detroit trutrac in factory vehicles.... they are a "soft" style locker and they hold up well.... no clanking, and minimal spin to lock ratio...

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/DetroitTruetrac/

Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 11, 2010, 11:12:23 PM »
we install a lot of  the Detroit trutrac in factory vehicles.... they are a "soft" style locker and they hold up well.... no clanking, and minimal spin to lock ratio...

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/DetroitTruetrac/

They are an LSD not a locker. If you do not know how to drive them you might as well be open. I ran one for three years when I was still IFS, learned how to drive it on the trail and it was all right, not great just alright.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

jrock [OP]

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Nov 12, 2010, 08:17:41 AM »
What is a spin to lock ratio?

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 12, 2010, 08:20:34 AM »
That Harrop/Eaton ELocker locker is compatible to "Toyota "Hilux" Front with live front axle assembly (up to 2005)".  :o I want a 2000 Hilux with a front solid axle  8)

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Nov 12, 2010, 12:16:22 PM »
when i said spin to lock i was refering to the amount one tire would spin before the diff locked in... yes the tru trac is a LSD but it is clutchless and in the trucks i have driven there was almost no differance between that and the full detroit in my friends chevy truck...

FWIW we installed one not to long ago in a 2010 f150 for a customer and i went out with another customer to show them the differance, i drove in 2wd across a pretty decent ditch and had no problems, stoped in ditch, throttled out....

Just got back from a test drive in our new f150 raptor with electronic rear locker, same ditch, same scenerio, felt the same both times..
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #35 on: Nov 12, 2010, 12:49:52 PM »
when one tire picks up in the air, you will know the difference.  a limited slip is useless when the tire lifts.
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Nov 12, 2010, 04:56:41 PM »
Detroit V6 carrier.
You'll never take me alive

<MIKE>

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 618
  • Member since Dec '09
  • Swap, Lock, and Rock it
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #37 on: Nov 12, 2010, 10:05:18 PM »

i have one of these in my front. Open rear. I think it works pretty good and i like how i never have to worry about it. Plus i can turn whenever i want.  I plan on spooling the rear.
1987 4runner
Dual cases, 2.28-4.7
Dana 60 Rear; Danna 44 front; 5.89’s
249:1

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Nov 13, 2010, 08:27:15 AM »
So and ARB off their site is around $1000 :yikes: Why is everything so pricey if you want it done correctly.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #39 on: Nov 13, 2010, 10:49:39 AM »
when i said spin to lock i was refering to the amount one tire would spin before the diff locked in... yes the tru trac is a LSD but it is clutchless and in the trucks i have driven there was almost no differance between that and the full detroit in my friends chevy truck...

FWIW we installed one not to long ago in a 2010 f150 for a customer and i went out with another customer to show them the differance, i drove in 2wd across a pretty decent ditch and had no problems, stoped in ditch, throttled out....

Just got back from a test drive in our new f150 raptor with electronic rear locker, same ditch, same scenerio, felt the same both times..

it just scares the hell out of me that youdont know the difference between a detroit and a truetrac and think they are the same as a elocker :shake:
they are no where near the same.  I'm going to assume you are a salesmen because a technician would know the difference.

So right now I have a 4cl Detroit in the rear on 37's and I DD the truck. I hate it. The Detroit has about a 1/4 turn of slop and every shift, accel/deaccel and crawl it kicks and bugs the heck out of me. I want to replace it.

My questions are:
Does an E-locker have a lot of slop?
Will a 4cl Aussie hold up?

:beerchug:
your detroit probably isnt your problem it sounds like you have an extreme amount of backlash which would cause the condition you explained.

or the springs in it could be broken

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #40 on: Nov 13, 2010, 11:04:07 AM »
here is the older version that you might have. it shows the "cross" without the case

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Nov 14, 2010, 07:48:50 PM »
So, You have created quite a bit of chatter. Bottom line seems to be, Selectable is the way to go for trail or street if your in it for the long haul. I bet Marlin does not have welded diffs. Step up...do it once...see you on the trail, its more fun to drive for me.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Nov 15, 2010, 08:13:04 PM »
So, You have created quite a bit of chatter. Bottom line seems to be, Selectable is the way to go for trail or street if your in it for the long haul. I bet Marlin does not have welded diffs. Step up...do it once...see you on the trail, its more fun to drive for me.
I disagree with this, yes I run ARB's F & R because my rig used to be a DD, my daughter used to drive it to high school. But now it is a trail rig period and a trailer queen to boot. If I were building a trail rig only I would go with an ARB up front and a spool in the rear. I might as well have a spool now because as soon as my rig is off the trailer, the rear is locked in. Why waste the money on the rear.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Nov 15, 2010, 08:14:27 PM »
That Harrop/Eaton ELocker locker is compatible to "Toyota "Hilux" Front with live front axle assembly (up to 2005)".  :o I want a 2000 Hilux with a front solid axle  8)
If you go to Europe you can get one up to 95.