Author Topic: front shackles  (Read 3870 times)

yoter4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
front shackles
« on: Jul 21, 2010, 02:57:20 PM »
what does it take to run a longer spring on the front of an 83 pickup? i picked up a set of super soft leafs for the front of my truck, but they are about 1.5"s longer than stock leafs, when i put them one they sent my stock shackle straight to the frame rail... so i built a set of 6" shackles to make up for the length, and now they are also against the frame... is there something i'm missing? they are soft so they compress more than my old skyjackers did with the weight of the truck, i removed a leaf from them and now i'm thinking about re installing the leaf to try and fix my shackle problem; they are currently  3 leaf pack as of now.

thanks for any help guys, pics of your setups are muchly appreciated!
Bullets don't know the difference between race, sex, or gender.. They Just Feed On Flesh!

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
Re: front shackles
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2010, 02:58:23 PM »
someone told me a boomerang shackle would work, but i know nothing about them
Bullets don't know the difference between race, sex, or gender.. They Just Feed On Flesh!

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2010, 03:17:59 PM »

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2010, 11:51:55 PM »
Boomerang shackles will help, but your springs are too long for your current tube.  Looks like it should ideally be about where the brace for the body mount is now.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2010, 01:57:17 PM »
 yeah im thinkin about the bomerang..... but these shackles now are 6" bolt to bolt, i think the boomerang would have to be like 8" bolt to bolt to even help at all... which is extremely long i would think. on the boomerang would you recommend start the bend of the shackle 2 inches after the frame bolt? or begin the bend in the middle of the shackle? thanks man

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2010, 04:39:47 PM »
I wouldnt even bother with the boomerang shackles. Even if they are not hitting the frame sitting when you hit a bump or even turn they will likely hit.  The best and most correct way to correct this would be to get a drop front hanger which could be welded on the 1" or so forward.  This would correct your shackle angles as well as move your front axle an 1" or so forwards giving you a better approach angle.  Then again if your gonna go that far then you mind as well do a rears up front setup.

GONZO97

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 48
  • Male Posts: 612
  • Member since Apr '09
  • travel the path less taken
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Mattress Xpress
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2010, 04:42:28 PM »
I wouldnt even bother with the boomerang shackles. Even if they are not hitting the frame sitting when you hit a bump or even turn they will likely hit.  The best and most correct way to correct this would be to get a drop front hanger which could be welded on the 1" or so forward.  This would correct your shackle angles as well as move your front axle an 1" or so forwards giving you a better approach angle.  Then again if your gonna go that far then you mind as well do a rears up front setup.
which could also lead to having to push your steering box forward (in some cases)
1997 4Runner Limited 3" lift on 31 M/Ts-Traded
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61054.msg749103#msg749103
1995 Xtended Cab SAS on 35's Dual Cases-Sold
1991 4Runner SAS on 33s RUF 63's in the back Bilsteins all the way around, 5.29s front and rear Detroit locked Front and Rear http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=65180.0
1988 4Runner 3.0 V6--SOLD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=97592.msg1086573#msg1086573
1996 Toyota 4Runner 3.4 V6 3" OME Lift Springs 33" Duratracs

The Build:
Coming Soon

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2010, 04:44:53 PM »
yeah im thinkin about the bomerang..... but these shackles now are 6" bolt to bolt, i think the boomerang would have to be like 8" bolt to bolt to even help at all... which is extremely long i would think. on the boomerang would you recommend start the bend of the shackle 2 inches after the frame bolt? or begin the bend in the middle of the shackle? thanks man

Reguardless of how the shackle is shaped its still a straight line from bolt hole to bolt hole so no they dont have to be longer.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 22, 2010, 08:16:05 PM »
ok thanks guys ruf was my original idea until i got these springs. what advice can you give me on putting the rears up front so i know what to expect?

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 22, 2010, 08:27:07 PM »
Get a few good sawzall blades for cutting steel or a plasma which is easiest. Once u have ur springs off start cutting off the original spring hangers so they are flush with the bottom of the frame.  Then grind away to get it smooth. Once youve done that its all cake walk from there.  Just get the marlin drop front spring hanger and align it with the very leading edge of the frame rail. On 1st gen trucks the frame rail sticks out near a 1/2" and on the 2nd gen its maybe an 1/8" to 1/4".  You can read marlins walk thru on how to do it but with a factory straight axle getting the springs set up is the easy part. 
Here is the downside to a rears up front.  Your gonna have to run hi steer since the factory push pull will not work.  So get an ifs steering box and the hi steer setup before you do your spring swap.  Just a little note u can stay with push pull steering but you need a drop steering rod which goes from the steering box to the J arm.  Imo this only makes it street worthy. If you try and wheel it like this the springs will come up and hit the steering. In other words its worth it just to do the hi steer at the same time.

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2010, 05:11:29 PM »
cool thanks crazy. my truck already has hi steer so the hard part is done! this sounds pretty easy

GONZO97

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 48
  • Male Posts: 612
  • Member since Apr '09
  • travel the path less taken
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Mattress Xpress
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Jul 23, 2010, 05:12:22 PM »
dont forget you may have to move that ifs steering box forward like i had too... but marlin sells a mounting kit to do it which makes it pretty easy
1997 4Runner Limited 3" lift on 31 M/Ts-Traded
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61054.msg749103#msg749103
1995 Xtended Cab SAS on 35's Dual Cases-Sold
1991 4Runner SAS on 33s RUF 63's in the back Bilsteins all the way around, 5.29s front and rear Detroit locked Front and Rear http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=65180.0
1988 4Runner 3.0 V6--SOLD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=97592.msg1086573#msg1086573
1996 Toyota 4Runner 3.4 V6 3" OME Lift Springs 33" Duratracs

The Build:
Coming Soon

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #12 on: Sep 23, 2010, 08:21:21 PM »
i did ruf on my 81. didn't move the front hanger at all, moved the shackle back a couple inches though. with my 35's i don't hit anywhere on the fender and you don't have to cut anything off, just a new mount in the back.