Author Topic: people on the rubicon  (Read 12166 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: people on the rubicon
« Reply #30 on: Jun 15, 2010, 01:58:04 AM »
Eh, move to Arizona they recently did away with even requiring a permit to carry.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Gixxer Jon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 104
  • Male Posts: 646
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jun 15, 2010, 02:02:30 AM »
same as alaska
Hillcrest Crawlers

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=67011.0

fj-rankenstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Jan '05
  • my yard looks like toyota circa 1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jun 15, 2010, 02:09:01 AM »
wow.. this whole situation concerns me quite a bit and i dont even live there..   i cant believe that morons like that would do that on the trail..  i go wheeling to enjoy the atmosphere, and i cant imagine how much that would ruin my day..  especially if i had nothing to defend myself with if it turned bad..  like who the heck pulls a knife on a group of guys trying to fix a vehicle on the trail..   :thumbdown:     has anyone actually called that shop or gone down there in person??  i would make sure that word of this gets around and try to put losers like this out of business if indeed these are the fools who actually work or own that shop..  this kind of stuff just irritates me...
the never ending build...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12165.0;highlight=extend-a-toy

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jun 15, 2010, 12:20:52 PM »
I think people are probably jumping to conclusions if they believe it was the shop owner or an employee.  People like to run stickers for the shops they support, see tons of tuners around here with stickers from local shops, or stereo shop stickers on craptastic cars.  Doesn't mean they're the owner or an employee.

Glad you guys didn't have to use them, but why conceal carry when wheeling? 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

YotaNate

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jun 15, 2010, 12:27:35 PM »
  Nate, the CCW question is basically Pandora's Box. IN short, the men and women in this country earned the right to carry and some just like to.  As to why when wheeling, I think the OP showed us why.

I think you hit the nail on the head about the stickers though.  There are stickers everywhere, doesn't mean they own the shop.  I see Chargers around here all the time with MOPAR on the windshield, doesn't mean they own the company.  More than likely though somebody on here will recognize the Jeeps and hopefully will have the intestinal fortitude to approach their friends and suggest they act like grown men in the future.  Just my  :twocents:

For the record I do not carry.

Nate
"A CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine Sniper asked.  What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?
The Marine shrugged and replied, "Recoil."

yjay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 555
  • Member since Feb '09
  • SFA Station Wagon
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jun 15, 2010, 05:08:54 PM »
I think people are probably jumping to conclusions if they believe it was the shop owner or an employee.  People like to run stickers for the shops they support, see tons of tuners around here with stickers from local shops, or stereo shop stickers on craptastic cars.  Doesn't mean they're the owner or an employee.

Glad you guys didn't have to use them, but why conceal carry when wheeling? 

Why not carry?
I would not broadcast it to those around me because it makes some people uncomfortable.
I carry when I flyfish, bowhunt, hike, drive, etc. but I conceal it even though it isn't necessary in my state when you're out in the boonies. I do it out of respect for others who may not be comfortable around firearms.
There is a really cool book out called "More guns, less crime" that is pretty thought provoking.
22re Daily Driver
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56568.0
91 4Runner-R151f, MC07,23 spline duals, Marlin 1200lb clutch, 85 Front axle, Leaf swap rear, Yukon 5.29's, BFG KM2 35's, Detroit, OBA, 280k

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jun 15, 2010, 05:50:55 PM »
Move out of California and it's easy. If you live in a state that allows concealed weapons, you can get a Utah permit which allows you to carry in over 30 states. Then you can carry anywhere but a federal building, a bar, or a bank.

YEs you can carry in a bank and depends on the state in a bar too.
ANd in oregon there is no law stating you have to tell a cop you carry when pulled over, unless they ask. You can take in a federal building if you are in the egress, this includes airports too.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

yjay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '09
  • SFA Station Wagon
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jun 15, 2010, 06:20:29 PM »
That is not how it is in Washington, dunno about other states.
22re Daily Driver
91 4Runner-R151f, MC07,23 spline duals, Marlin 1200lb clutch, 85 Front axle, Leaf swap rear, Yukon 5.29's, BFG KM2 35's, Detroit, OBA, 280k

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jun 15, 2010, 06:31:15 PM »
Yes it is. The bar is the only different. No guns allowed I believe or its you cant be drinking.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

yjay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '09
  • SFA Station Wagon
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jun 15, 2010, 06:39:11 PM »
http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/WASL.pdf

While knowingly in possession or control of a firearm, it is
illegal to enter any portion of any establishment declared off-limits
to persons below 21 years of age; commercial service airport, or
the restricted portion of a jail or law enforcement facility; areas
of buildings used for court proceedings; restricted areas of mental
health facilities, except that restricted access portions of a jail or law
enforcement facility shall not include entrances or exits, or areas open
to public access.

Maybe I am unaware of other rules?
22re Daily Driver

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Truth... Justice... Honor...
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #40 on: Jun 15, 2010, 09:03:43 PM »
Just a thought, but another reason to carry might be if those fuzzy cute woodland creatures become the animals that they truly are and decide to attack someone.  Granted a .40 won't do much to a bear but rather have it and try then be caught w/o one.  I don't CCW either, but that doesn't mean i cant have access to one quickly while camping...  Just make sure you carry your hunting license /w you and some extra tags.  when we get to the springs i know whats going on that BBQ after the tri-tip is done.  :biggthumpup:
"Who let the jeeps come?
Easy... easy..." -2 people on the CB

81 Toy Pickup SR5
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35701.0

Daily Driver: 96 Dodge Ram 2nd DD/Tow Rig

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jun 15, 2010, 09:30:52 PM »
http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/WASL.pdf

While knowingly in possession or control of a firearm, it is
illegal to enter any portion of any establishment declared off-limits
to persons below 21 years of age; commercial service airport, or
the restricted portion of a jail or law enforcement facility; areas
of buildings used for court proceedings; restricted areas of mental
health facilities, except that restricted access portions of a jail or law
enforcement facility shall not include entrances or exits, or areas open
to public access.

Maybe I am unaware of other rules?

Hence I said Egress. Look up the word.  Its the public area of a building, non restricted. You really should learn to read the law and know your rights.  You even posted it without realizing it! SHALL NOT INCLUDE ENTRANCES OR EXITS OR AREAS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!!!!!!!!!!!!1

You should really look at the state law code not another website with miss info, here is the law for airports. Your nra website states the airport in general and its wrong

(e) The restricted access areas of a commercial service airport designated in the airport security plan approved by the federal transportation security administration, including passenger screening checkpoints at or beyond the point at which a passenger initiates the screening process. These areas do not include airport drives, general parking areas and walkways, and shops and areas of the terminal that are outside the screening checkpoints and that are normally open to unscreened passengers or visitors to the airport. Any restricted access area shall be clearly indicated by prominent signs indicating that firearms and other weapons are prohibited in the area.
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2010, 10:21:56 PM by jerry92toy »

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jun 15, 2010, 09:33:28 PM »
CABOO  I carry a glock 20, 10mm auto. Its a 40 cal bullet with very high speed. It will stop dangerous animals. In states where you can not legally hunt with a 45acp. you can with a 10mm auto.

superyota [OP]

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #43 on: Jun 15, 2010, 10:17:49 PM »
i'll be giving the shop a call tomorrow to see if they know who they guys in jeeps were and let them know how much of a bind they almost got themselves into.  i'll keep posted...
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Jun 15, 2010, 10:23:39 PM »
Ok, I'll make it a little more straight forward:  why conceal carry when wheeling when you can open carry legally?  I'd see no reason not to carry in the open, chest holster style.  
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

superyota [OP]

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #45 on: Jun 15, 2010, 10:30:37 PM »
Ok, I'll make it a little more straight forward:  why conceal carry when wheeling when you can open carry legally?  I'd see no reason not to carry in the open, chest holster style. 

i understand your point nate.  i just choose not to because in vertain cituations, it might be provoking.  i might be wrong though. i've had my ccw for almost 2 years and not until about a year ago did i start actually carrying it.  i took the ccw training course from a friend who is going to be a soon to be chief of police, and one thing i specifically remember him saying was conceal carry all the time if your able to.  even in national forests where you are allowed to open carry.  you never know who or what you might come accross or what there intentions might be.  keep it a secret.
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

86bobbedtoy

• Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Jun 15, 2010, 10:57:54 PM »
KIAS

known to cops, they all carry off duty

Gixxer Jon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Jun 15, 2010, 11:41:11 PM »
i understand your point nate.  i just choose not to because in vertain cituations, it might be provoking.  i might be wrong though. i've had my ccw for almost 2 years and not until about a year ago did i start actually carrying it.  i took the ccw training course from a friend who is going to be a soon to be chief of police, and one thing i specifically remember him saying was conceal carry all the time if your able to.  even in national forests where you are allowed to open carry.  you never know who or what you might come accross or what there intentions might be.  keep it a secret.

very good point superyota :thumbs: Ive had a friend that teaches handgun safty and ccw classes tell me the same thing!
Hillcrest Crawlers

Greiner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 82
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Jun 15, 2010, 11:50:26 PM »
I got to say im new to wheelin but this doesnt make it feel frendly, cause I know for fact that ill probably be making stupid mistakes  :down:

im sorry you had to deal with that superyota, I hope I dont run into people like that

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Truth... Justice... Honor...
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #49 on: Jun 16, 2010, 01:51:42 AM »
I got to say im new to wheelin but this doesnt make it feel frendly, cause I know for fact that ill probably be making stupid mistakes  :down:

im sorry you had to deal with that superyota, I hope I dont run into people like that

Don't worry about it, your on the good guys side.  :thumbs:

And people like those jeepers are few and far between man.  This thread has turned into a worst case scenario thread, chances are very slim you will run into a similar situation.

« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010, 12:21:49 PM by Caboose »
"Who let the jeeps come?
Easy... easy..." -2 people on the CB

81 Toy Pickup SR5
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35701.0

Daily Driver: 96 Dodge Ram 2nd DD/Tow Rig

yjay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '09
  • SFA Station Wagon
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Jun 16, 2010, 05:55:16 AM »
Hence I said Egress. Look up the word.  Its the public area of a building, non restricted. You really should learn to read the law and know your rights.  You even posted it without realizing it! SHALL NOT INCLUDE ENTRANCES OR EXITS OR AREAS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!!!!!!!!!!!!1

You should really look at the state law code not another website with miss info, here is the law for airports. Your nra website states the airport in general and its wrong

(e) The restricted access areas of a commercial service airport designated in the airport security plan approved by the federal transportation security administration, including passenger screening checkpoints at or beyond the point at which a passenger initiates the screening process. These areas do not include airport drives, general parking areas and walkways, and shops and areas of the terminal that are outside the screening checkpoints and that are normally open to unscreened passengers or visitors to the airport. Any restricted access area shall be clearly indicated by prominent signs indicating that firearms and other weapons are prohibited in the area.

Simmer down. We can have a civil discussion. Hence why I asked the question about other rules. It isn't necessary to turn every thread where you know something someone else is unaware of into a battle. I really don't need to look up egress, I'm aware of what it means. I digress concerning the egress.
The reason I use the NRA site is because that is where the county tells people to go for the rules. It's what the people that issue the permits use.
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010, 06:01:31 AM by yjay »
22re Daily Driver

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Jun 16, 2010, 06:13:02 AM »
Simmer down. We can have a civil discussion. Hence why I asked the question about other rules. It isn't necessary to turn every thread where you know something someone else is unaware of into a battle. I really don't need to look up egress, I'm aware of what it means. I digress concerning the egress.
The reason I use the NRA site is because that is where the county tells people to go for the rules. It's what the people that issue the permits use.

first off, dont tell me to simmer down, im calm. I was just making it clear.
Yes the people who issues the permits say go to the nra, go to concealed carry oregon etc. But they have dont have the correct information.
Why not go to the place with the actually rules? Like the oregon or washington state law page? I dont know how many times Ive had a friend who takes the CCL class tell me they were told you must tell a cop that you are carrying when pulled over. And I tell them no where in oregon state law does it say you are required to tell them. You arent.
Thats just one example of a CCL class trainer who is wrong.

But moving past that. I think open carry in a car is a bad idea. You might intimidate someone. Including the police if you get pulled over. You mght have the gun in a hip holster with your wallet in your back pocket. And he might think you are going for the gun instead of your ID. They are tense enough going up to a car, with a unknown in there.
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010, 06:39:20 AM by jerry92toy »

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Jun 16, 2010, 08:05:32 AM »
I think yall are missing the point with concealed weapons.  It doesnt matter if your legal or not.  The fact remains that if you are Carry a gun and then the chances of problems with the police and rangers gets worse.  Be it your legal sure but a fed park ranger has more legal authority then an FBI agent.  If you tell them right off the get go and make sure they understand you have a weapon he wont hold you up and more then likely wont look for other things.  I have a bunch of friends who are cops and it pisses them off when someone with a cwp doesnt disclose it.   There is just toooo many nuts out there. 

Now on the other side of the point I guess I lived in Yuba county for a while and had a cwp.  I was friends with the sheriff and she told me one thing after she gave it to me.  If I was going to use it in self defense,  When she shows up they better be dead.  Thats just cya since dead men dont tell stories.    :headshake:
The other thing I learned from her was that if I was pulled over while I was armed that I should always hand the officer my drivers license, insurance and my cwp.  Either or ive moved from that area and no longer have a cwp but some day I will be able to carry again.  I am ex military and was trained with side arms and rifles as well as having a security clearance which was a total was of tax payers money but it dose help when ya live in Cali.

If you have a gun with you when your wheelin that fine by me but I will hold you to a very high standard.  I DO NOT like idiots with guns and blame a lot of them for the problems we have with guns rights.

Just another fyi:  The second amendment was written in a time of war and what followed after.  Too many misunderstand the second amendment and often misquote it.  I personally believe in our right to bear arms but I also believe that the checks they run before you can take possession of a weapon are a good thing.

Here is a little quote from a wiki.
early American settlers viewed the right to arms and/or the right to bear arms and/or state militias as important for one or more of these purposes:
    * deterring undemocratic government;
    * repelling invasion;
    * suppressing insurrection;
    * facilitating a natural right of self-defense;(which was added later. In the original 2nd Amendment this was not there. This is what it said: A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed)
    * participating in law enforcement;
    * slave control in slave states.
The reason I made that red was mainly due to the anti gun lobbyist using this as a main fighting point for a very long time.

Basically when your around other people with a weapon keep it out of site and even more so keep it stored safe.  Imo there is NO reason for a group of guys wheeling to all be carrying guns.  Sorry but bears dont tend to come near loud ars trucks.   Though I am glad to see no one in your group pulled theirs to make a point.  If you have never shot someone before then dont ever do it.  Ya Ya I sound like an old man but hey Respect is #1 in my world.   :beer: :beerchug:

Gixxer Jon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Jun 16, 2010, 09:02:04 AM »
 :offtopic:  Let's not get too far off topic here.
Hillcrest Crawlers

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #54 on: Jun 16, 2010, 09:05:45 AM »

:imwithstupid: :gap:

SuperYota, I'm looking forward to hearing what the shop has to say.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Jun 16, 2010, 10:16:27 AM »
Me too.  Besides all of the concealed carry stuff, I would just play it safe on the trail.  No need to have big balls when your hours from any help. My 2 cents.  But I wouldn't mind carrying while camping.

superyota [OP]

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #56 on: Jun 16, 2010, 10:42:23 AM »

i didn't mean for this thread to turn into a ccw thread.  just venting about idiots on the trail.  going to call them up in few minutes. i'll let you know if they know who the guys were and what they say.

edwin
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

Gamera

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Jun 16, 2010, 12:05:21 PM »
i didn't mean for this thread to turn into a ccw thread.  just venting about idiots on the trail.  going to call them up in few minutes. i'll let you know if they know who the guys were and what they say.

edwin

ditto,
A CCW is so you can to have a "last resort" be it animal or man to save your life.
This thread is about a fool that pulled a weapon on people and made terrorist threats on people’s lives.
And what can be done to prevent it form happening again on any trail. 

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Jun 16, 2010, 12:29:14 PM »

edwin

Sorry.  I'm the one who brought up CCW.  I was just implying that if I got a knife pulled on me the knife holder better be bulletproof.  I think I could speak for most responsible firearms owners when I say I hope I never have to be put in a situation like that.  I usually prefer to never let anyone around me even know that I carry one.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

ROCK CRUSHER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 469
  • Member since Mar '06
  • um!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Jun 16, 2010, 12:46:33 PM »
i hate people like that, your on the trail to have fun, hang out and relax if you want to to start a knife fight go to the city and stay off the damn trail. aaahhhh i feel a little better
move or I will run your ass over