Author Topic: Rear shock mounting  (Read 3489 times)

NUb

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 135
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Represent the 805
    • View Profile
Rear shock mounting
« on: Dec 15, 2004, 10:58:37 PM »
Trying to figure out how i want to mount my rear shocks and have a few questions.

whats better for control of azle wrap and stability?
 lower mount ontop of axle or on side(front or back).
Angled forward or Backward.

« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2004, 12:51:31 AM by NUb »
I would Take my truck offroad but then it would get dirty

94 exta cab 84 frame
4.88 electrics w/duals and 35's
Tacoma bed?

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
Re: Rear shock mounting
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2004, 12:17:49 AM »
Shocks aren't going to effect axle wrap, but what you don't want to do is angle them in to close to each other at the top or far apart on the axle, the closer to a 45 degree angle your shocks are at the less effective they will be, there will be to to much leverage and you won't have :pokinit: for droop. I like mine about 5" in from the perch on the axle and about 9" in from the frame on the cross member. I mounted mine on the top back side of the crossmember and the top front side of axle. You can weld the shock studs that come with shocks to the axle tube with fillet welds, I used 4" bolts all the way through the cross member because I've seen so many tear out when only welded to the back side. Hope this helps someone else will throw down their  :twocents:  :turtle:
Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

NUb [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Represent the 805
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2004, 12:55:28 AM »
Yeah I know about the whole  / \ thing. I was just wondering about the other stuff. Like chevy and toy mount 1 shock forward and 1 shock backward. there has to be a reason for this. On lost of prerunners I see the lower mounts low on the reare of the axle vs just on top.

94 exta cab 84 frame
Tacoma bed?

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2004, 04:19:49 AM »
it depends on your truck and what shocks you have..I would rather have the mount on top of the axle myself,,however I had to mount mine on the front side of the axle to get an extra couple inches of upward shock travel..I don;t think there is a better way,,in front,in rear or on top of the axle other then having the shock on top of the axle its tucked out of the way of rocks..I have herd having the shock in front of the axle helps axle wrap but if it does i don't think it des by much..I don't know why toyota or other manufactures put the shocks one facing forward and one facing back :dunno: maybe space,,but I don;t think there is any advantage to it..I would mount them the other way for sure/\
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

GRM

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2004, 12:36:40 PM »
Here is what I found from my research, it isnt necessarally true, and I hope someone can prove me wrong, but it makes sence to me.

OEM's put the pass side shock in front, and the drivers side in the rear.

Have you ever taken a rear end out and tried to move it by turning the pinion? You may notice it wants to turn in a counter clockwide rotation.
Also, you have a centrifigal force from the driveshaft turning.

By placing the shocks in that fashon done by the OEM's you are effectivally reducing the 2 forces I just described.

BUT I think that setup doesnt help all that much when you have a spool or a locker that wants to push both tires forward at an equal force.

NUb [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Represent the 805
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2004, 10:15:06 AM »
Thanks guys.
so I guess I will just mount on top of axle and angled clost to verticaly (front and back) and then like / \.
and they are Bilstein's just in case any one was wondering.

Jeff

94 exta cab 84 frame
Tacoma bed?

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2004, 08:44:30 PM »
I have mine mounted like /\.  Then on the axle they are mounted on the front fo the tube.  I don't like that becasue i hit a rock and it put a fat dent in the shock.  I wouldn't plan on doing that again.  I only did that because the shock mounts were already on the axle when i bought it.

Jase

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 147
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2004, 07:58:41 AM »
I mounted mine on top of the axle also /\ with no body lift and trying to keep lift to a minimum I made a hoop through the bed.  You can kind of see the hoop behind the pile of tools.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2004, 09:20:10 PM »
    Someone told me once that mounting the shocks on the front of the axle and pointing back would help with axle wrap if your shocks were nitrotgen gas charged.   I your pinion wants to rotate back the shocks would help prevent this because they are harder to compress than rebound.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2004, 08:11:54 AM »
why dont you just get some kickershocks from downey,  reduce wrap and still flex :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Fireimp141

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 786
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2004, 03:38:03 AM »
Cause that would be taking the easy way out!
86 Toyota 4runner, 33X12.5-15 Aurora RT/02's on Series 97 15X10 rock crawlers, 3" performance body lift, Rancho RS5000's... Soon to be Marlin 1200 Clutch, tube bumper front and rear, nerf bars and roof rack... future plans include SAS 5.29's detroits!

I am the Amazing Turtle! and I'm awarding you 49 points, increasing your Turtle Points!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2004, 05:16:11 PM »
but i like easy,  hmmm   :headscratch:  maybe i should rethink this
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2004, 08:02:25 PM »
For shocks to dampen correctly they should be mounted at equal angles in opposite directions ala factory setup.  One side  from axle forward and the opposite from axle aft.  Notice the changes from 1st gen to 2nd gen trucks.  Better ride quality on 2nd gen and later.  1st gen style /\ are less efficient.  No amount of verticle shock angularity will prevent axle wrap.  Ladder bars, traction bars, kicker shocks, and spring under setups help.
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...