Author Topic: RRRRRR!!!! damn lock rite!  (Read 2728 times)

militarymudder

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 73
  • Member since Dec '04
  • if my tires are higher than my cab..... HELP!!!!!
    • View Profile
RRRRRR!!!! damn lock rite!
« on: Dec 06, 2004, 04:16:41 PM »
 I bought the KRITTR GITTR bout 4 months ago... since then shes been beat to death!!! i got her with a lock rite rear, 5:29s a winch, 4 inch lift (nwor  :shakehead: ) and a rebuilt 20r...
since ive had her, ive bobbed the bed, locked up the front, chevied the rear, put stock rears up front and got the fever!!!... my future plans include x over steering ( this month) an dual cases....
but my problem lies in the rear locker! in drive, it makes way more than average noise and dont seem to  engage like it should and when does decide to engage, its only breifly. While its engaged it make still more noises.... it engages in reverse perfectly fine, but in  drive it almost seems as the cam or axle gears have worn their edges to like a 45 degree angle instead of the 90 it should be.... i dont wanna tear into her unless i absolutly must.. (no time...) so before i due, anyone got any advice?
84 toy, bobbed, chevy rears, rear toy fronts, locked f/r, 5 in of lift, 5:29s, rebuilt 20 r, 34 in swampers, 8000 lb ramsey to take me where the lead foot is to heavy!!!...
future mods... crossover steering, and dual ultimate crawler !!!
 this is the KRITT'R GITT'R express... so get in, sit down, shut up, and HANG ON

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
Re: RRRRRR!!!! damn lock rite!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2004, 04:39:22 PM »
Do a visual inspection.  Remove the fill plug and take a peek.  You should be able to tell if the teeth are worn on the locker parts, there's just enough room to see 'um.
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2004, 04:42:42 PM »
or pull the drain plug and see how many little lockrite chunks come out
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

militarymudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2004, 07:39:22 PM »
yeah its just that that is exactly what im scrrrrrd to due!... lil lockrites coming out means more work for me! its all good though, i ve a few extras its just hard to get time to due much lately.!:( wish me luck.... im going in!
84 toy, bobbed, chevy rears, rear toy fronts, locked f/r, 5 in of lift, 5:29s, rebuilt 20 r, 34 in swampers, 8000 lb ramsey to take me where the lead foot is to heavy!!!...

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2004, 08:59:36 PM »
Better find lil lockrights coming out now than lil lockrights and lil R&P's coming out later ;)
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

militarymudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2004, 11:05:06 PM »
this is very true... i think ill make time tomorow... cause i deffinatly aint got time nor money to fix it !

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2004, 11:20:56 PM »
My lock rite (front) made popping noises at first while testing it out on our ramp, but then once I got it broken in, it didnt even make a peep. At first I thought I broke a birfield :ack: it sounded terriable.

I dont know much about the lock rite, but your springs could be worn out and its allowing it to slip out of lock. This would make alot of popping/clicking noises and would be normal with worn out springs = nothing initally bad. If you are going to pull it out, then it might be a great idea to also replace the springs with some new ones. You'll thank yourself later!

Maybe the load is different in reverse, so its able to stay engaged...... :headscratch:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

militarymudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2004, 10:42:43 AM »
this could be true also seeings as the sprins are some old ones..... o well i guess ill start by looking at the gear oil and take it from there... thanks guys!

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2004, 05:38:18 PM »
Worn out lockrights make great mini spools.  Take it out, bevel the edge where the 2 halves meet, cram it  back in the carrier and point the welder at it!  No springs to lose, pins to break, etc...  I did this for my buddies "trail-only" rig and it has worked great so far.  I wouldn't ever do it for a DD/street driven rig, but if your strictly off road, it works great.  Just my  :twocents:

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

militarymudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2004, 06:34:16 PM »
thats not a bad idea. But i aint to sure on what the hell is wrong!.. i drained her... no flakes... i looked at the teeth and they dont seem to bad!!... so im at a loss.... but the welder is about to be its next treatment!

militarymudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2004, 10:22:11 PM »
so after a lil :flamer:  and some :wall: then a lil :_order: with my :moon: in the snow.... i feel pretty stupid!!!.
my axle is busted ! i didnt even think of that!... i didnt really due any thing to hard core but i guess it was a lil much!

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2004, 11:12:21 PM »
 :_oops: dont cha hate it when that happenz and this close 2 christmas  :smack:  Lookie like somebody (mabe wife) might get the short end of the sitck when it comes to presents. :greengrin:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2004, 11:15:15 PM »
Hey, no badmouthing lockrites  :beerchug:  I just got one, and I want to keep my curse off it as long as possible, so dont let it hear you
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

militarymudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2004, 11:51:19 AM »
hey no worries... :crossed:  my lock rite is still doin its job cause if i move the truck i can hear all hell breakin loose whhere the break is beating its self to death! i just dont wanna get all the metal shavings throughout the rear end!
and as far as x mas... and my wife getting shorted... shes spoiled rotten... i bought  her a new modle 700 remington 270. and a whole new set of silent, breathable, scent locked mossy oak rain gear!... :offtopic:  anyways i just scored a few new rearends the other day so i aint worried... this is twice now, so i think its time to switch it all over to the chev stuff ive got laying around, and sell the other stuff... maybe or maybe not, but ive got a while to wait before i have the time for all that !

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2004, 11:57:18 PM »
Ummm, dude, I don't think yer supposed to talk about yer Wife and a new rearend in the same breath... :psss:
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2004, 12:28:30 AM »
 :help: Yeah your lible to get your :spankbutt:

militarymudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2004, 08:14:02 PM »
 :spankbutt:  ouch! :rivers: stop it! :spankbutt: ouch! :rivers:  that hurts!!...
thats about how it goes!... thats some pretty funny stuff there fellas!