Author Topic: lock rite locker in the front end  (Read 3801 times)

toeyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
lock rite locker in the front end
« on: Jan 14, 2008, 06:16:35 PM »
I was wondering if anybody is running the lock rite locker in the front of thier SFA toys? If so how do you like it? Will both front tires pull always, or how exactly does it work?

I have a detroit in the rear and love it. Also, will i be ok running 2 different types of lockers front and back??

Is there any certain way i need to install the driveshaft back onto the front chunk so it will be in-sync with the rear locker? The reason i ask is my detroit always has a little bit of slack so it can engage and disengage, i dont know if the lock right will be the same way. Seems like when in 4wd, the 2 lockers would need to be engaging together at the same time to prevent damage to the transfer case. I hope im completly wrong, im hoping i can just install the locker in the chunk and put it in and bolt the driveshaft to it and go. What yall think?

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: lock rite locker in the front end
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2008, 07:40:16 PM »
I prefer an Aussie Locker over a LockRight; however, the design is essentially identical.  I believe the Aussie is a better product because it is stronger (less people break them) and the springs are softer allowing it to unlock easier.

I run a Detroit rear and an Aussie front without problems.  It will create some crazy handling situations on snow & ice, but as long as you're careful and drive slow it can be managed.  Off road my Aussie seems to work as well as my Detroit in the rear.  It locks completely when torque is applied and makes minimal noise.

You don't have to worry about driveshaft orientation (as long as they're straight).  All mechanical lockers like the Detroit, LockRights, Aussie Locker, etc., lock when torque is applied and unlock when one tires rotates faster than it is being driven.  This is why the inside tire chirps going around corners on pavement.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Mnmstoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 230
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Mike's 80Toy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2008, 04:06:13 AM »
I have a lock rite up front and welded in the rear. It works great. It does make a pop sound here and their but I knew that.
Mike
BTW I bought mine used with one slightly bent spring. I here great things about Aussie....but a man on a budget E-bay is where I got mine....180 shipped.

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2008, 06:28:20 AM »
I have a lock rite up front and welded in the rear. It works great. It does make a pop sound here and their but I knew that.

X2 I have broke many a birfield with my front lockright, before going with longs. Due to my lead foot I have even taken out a r&p. I am willing to bet that the lockright will still be OK when I pull my front diff.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 1,004
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2008, 06:58:30 AM »
i run a lockright up front w/ a Detroit in back. i have no complants at all.
1990 4Runner, SAS, 22re, 5spd, Dual stock cases, Locked f/b, interior cage

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2008, 07:03:40 AM »
No lockers with with stock front axles.  Get a Truetrac Limited-Slip and you won't have to worry as much about broken parts.

:twocents:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Gewehr43

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 348
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Toyota>>Jeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2008, 08:09:18 AM »
No lockers with with stock front axles.  Get a Truetrac Limited-Slip and you won't have to worry as much about broken parts.

Agreed!  I have a Spool out back and a True Trac in front until I get Longs. :thumbs:

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:39:42 AM »
A buddie of mine broke his stock birf this weekend with aired down 33 12.50 and a lock rite up front.  It was a bad situation that caused the break but still odd for only 33 inch tires.

He did have his tire turned driver pretty good when it broke.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:42:25 AM »
yep he had that tire wedged pretty good between a couple rocks.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
im only in mud or dirt hills and things like that when im locked in 4wd so im not to worried about breaking anything. I was just making sure the lockrite would work about the same as the detroit. gotta have all 4's pullin. Thanks.

Rubijon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Nov '07
  • WRECKED4x4.COM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »
I have a lockrite in the front and spool in the rear. I run 39.5" tires and havent had a problem yet. I do wish I could unlock the front end though.

Thomas P

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:09:22 PM »
i have a lock right, and ran 39.5"s for 2 years and now i gotz 42"s and still smashin
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:20:45 PM »
Is it a pain to turn with it locked up or will it ratchet? My elocker is a pita to maneuver with when locked so I unlock it most of the time.

Doable

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 69
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:55:19 PM »
Running a LockRight in the front with the rear welded.  Cheapest way to get all 4 tires pulling. With power steering I don't have trouble turning.If I do I just put the t-case in 2wd and make my turn.

This set up is a few years old and  was running them before I put them under my 86. I would not buy the LockRight again but the Aussi instead. Just my  :twocents:
Nothing puts a smlie on my face like the green glow of 4x4 on the dash !
BSLCA.com

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2008, 02:23:14 PM »
Running a LockRight in the front with the rear welded.  Cheapest way to get all 4 tires pulling. With power steering I don't have trouble turning.If I do I just put the t-case in 2wd and make my turn.

This set up is a few years old and  was running them before I put them under my 86. I would not buy the LockRight again but the Aussi instead. Just my  :twocents:

Any reason why you would run an aussie instead of the lock right again?

Doable

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 69
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2008, 07:22:23 PM »
This is my personal opinion  that the quality of the LockRight is not as good as it used to be. The one in my truck now has been rebuilt twice with new pins and springs(it came from my 1st Toyota).On my last vehicle (Samurai) I bought brand new LockRight with side couplers because of the good service I had gotten out of my 1st LockRight.... Well the quality just was not there like my 1st one . It would engage and disengage causing horrible lane changes and would unload so bad offroad that I thought the rear end had exploded.Brought it back to the shop and rebuilt it four times. Spent numerous hours pulling everything apart and spending money on rebuilt kits new axle housings,axles shaft, etc. because everyone around here said something must be bent. The problem never got better and all the parts I swapped out were fine the locker wore out fast under 31" tires.

I know that these are two different vehicle, but the same guy set up my 1st one(which was in my 1st Toyota) and my 2nd one. The only good thing about this story is I gained alot of experience with installing lockers and third members
Nothing puts a smlie on my face like the green glow of 4x4 on the dash !
BSLCA.com

mayberry

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Male Posts: 707
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2008, 07:10:22 PM »
i run a lockright  and i have broke 4 birfs with it but my steering stops where bent so i was able to turn too sharp so the birf bound but sisce my axle build i have had no problem at all and i have done rocks,mud and snow witch i know mud and snow isnt tough on your drive train too bad