Author Topic: Lube FAQ/Recommendations  (Read 4155 times)

mr.charli3

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 92
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
Lube FAQ/Recommendations
« on: Jan 18, 2010, 12:15:56 PM »
 My :twocents:....So for many year's my father and grandfather have ran Pennzoil, my dad still running it. His jeep now has 276,000 or so miles with no issues or compression loss respectively. I run Pennzoil in my truck as well, but a few year's ago we switched our f-350 powerstroke to Amsoil. That to has 250k plus miles with no issues.
 As for gear oil here is what I'm planning to run in the tranny(w56-b)http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=MTGQT-EA
In the transfer case and differential's
http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=SVTQT-EA
I have ran amsoil motor oil in my 86 p/u, we get a 20% discount so that make it way more reasonable to run. I ran what they recommended it was 5w-40w European car blend. Only putting 10k on it before selling i cant say as to how well it worked but the PowerStroke has oil testing done and normal drain intervals of 10-15k and the results so no signs of wear.
 My only Que with running it in the differential is water. At $30 per end that's a lot of money to waste on crossing a creek or am i wrong? My understand from reading on here is that if you forge creeks allot you need to change the gear oil allot as it picks up the moisture.
 What are you guys running for lube's and your thoughts on amsoil?
Not a whole lot on this subject i think we need more! So post 'em up what is your preference to motor oil, gear oil, and grease?!?

This is the amsoil's recommendations for my truck being a 1988 p/u MT.
http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?url2=1988+TOYOTA+PICKUP+K

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Re: Lube FAQ/Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2010, 12:25:14 PM »
I run Valvoline 10w30 in my 81 pickup in my wife's car and my corvette I run Mobil 1 full synthetic.  Awesome stuff I would run it in my 81 if I knew it wouldn't leak out everywhere.  Synthetics have a way of finding leaks even if you're motor doesn't leak with conventional.  As far as gear oil I run the cheapest 80w90 I can find.  My buddy ran royal purple in his diffs and still had a failure so IMO it's not worth the $15/qt.  I've heard Pennzoil and Quaker State are Pennsylvania oils and supposedly that makes them more sludgy.  Never researched it though. 
81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2010, 12:57:49 PM »
Plenty of existing oil and lube threads already  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

mr.charli3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 92
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2010, 02:12:23 PM »
Here's the thing the threads i have found were not helpfull really, I want this to be.
For example viscosity ratings?hot versus cold weather? I just wanna make a thread that at a glance you can learn everything you need to know about what to run in you motor, tranny, and diffs as well as greases people have found and why they recommend them for your Toyota. For example running convention during break in periods then switching to synthetic. Flushing you motor or gearboxes out?does this actually work and is it recommended? There just a million product out there some good and some bad! Lets get the good ones sorted out.

Quaker State used to have areally high paraffin wax content and the wax would actually build up in the pan. My grandad showed me a photo of an oil pan from a tractor(he grew up on a farm)that would only hold a couple quarts it was almost full of wax!! As for today i don't think that can be an issue because of all the regulations but ya never know. I was always told never use it and i never have so..

jsifrit

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2010, 09:09:18 PM »
If you like Amsoil, I believe their website has all the temp info and which weight to use.  I've heard the rumor about Pennzoil having high paraffin content also, but I've never confirmed it.
'83 Hilux SR5 4x4 22r, '99 Tacoma 4x4 3rz

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2010, 10:00:13 PM »
Check in one of the other oil threads and you'll find the info on Pennzoil and parafin  ;)
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2010, 07:02:34 PM »
Valvoline Full Synthetic 5W-50

I love that stuff.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

Kurlee Daddee

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Dank Daddee Krew
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2010, 07:31:31 PM »
I  have been running Castrol GTX in all of the 4 cylinder engines I have ever owned without a problem. I use Mobil 1 synthetic in my Cadiilac, and will be using it in my new 22RE after break in.
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Subaru WRX

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2010, 12:44:54 AM »
I'd love to do a quality build on a 22r block, break it in right, switch to synthetic and see if I could get several hundred thousand miles out of it. 
RIP KYOTA

Kurlee Daddee

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Dank Daddee Krew
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2010, 05:45:32 AM »
I'd love to do a quality build on a 22r block, break it in right, switch to synthetic and see if I could get several hundred thousand miles out of it. 

I guess I will be the guinea pig for this quote. My last 3 vehicles were new and I have switched from dino oil to synthetic in the first 1000 miles of their engines life. Note that I only put about 40k on each, but without a problem. I look to put MANY more miles than that on my truck.
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Subaru WRX

bigheadbenny

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2010, 06:26:03 AM »
i thought you should know that synthetic oil is still crude(dino) oil, its just refined further and has alot of additives put back in, that process is where they consider it getting synthesized. also, not using synthetic oil on break in is a myth, it will work/protect just as well if not better in that situation as well.

i know you guys were probably joking and already know that just thought a few people might not know and will read your posts and get the wrong ideas.
PUT'ER IN 4-LO EH.

Kurlee Daddee

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Dank Daddee Krew
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:04:12 AM »
i thought you should know that synthetic oil is still crude(dino) oil, its just refined further and has alot of additives put back in, that process is where they consider it getting synthesized. also, not using synthetic oil on break in is a myth, it will work/protect just as well if not better in that situation as well.

i know you guys were probably joking and already know that just thought a few people might not know and will read your posts and get the wrong ideas.

Many engine builders and experts see this debate on both sides. And I am not going to argue and make this thread about that issue. However, since I am not building the engine and buying it pre-built, I have no idea what the tolerances of each part of the engine will be. So I will run dino oil for the first 1000 miles for proper break in and then run synthetic after that. Just personal preference.
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Subaru WRX

bigheadbenny

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2010, 04:49:20 PM »
i agree everyone has different preferences. i only said that because we had one of the head representatives from mobil oil come to the shop i work at and do a big presentation and we got to ask any questions we wanted and that was one that came up. i know his answers may have been biased but the reasons he gave made sense.. but it comes down to what you want and what makes you feel better/more confident and thats all that matters.  :beerchug:
PUT'ER IN 4-LO EH.