Author Topic: Replacing rear axle seal  (Read 6089 times)

sparkys83yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 320
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
Replacing rear axle seal
« on: Aug 29, 2009, 06:43:05 PM »
Hey all. I am really new here. Usually i get all my work done at marlins shop but it is getting kinda pricy. I have gear oil leaking from my rear passenger wheel lug nuts. So I am gonna try to fix it myself. I noticed in the haynes manual that I need a press and a puller. Is there any other way to do this without having these tools. And is rebuilding my own axles something a novice at best mechanic should do. Any feedback would be nice.
83 shorbed pickup. 22 re swap. Dual ultimates, l52hd tranny, 5 " marlin trailflex lift. Yukon 529. Grizzly in rear zip locker front. And a bunch of other stuff....

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing rear axle seal
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »
You only need a press and puller to pull your axle out of the drum assembly or change out the bearings. If you are just replacing an axle seal then you just need a socket set and some open ended wrenches. The worst part is bleeding the breaks, otherwise a real easy straight forward job.
You'll never take me alive

sparkys83yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2009, 06:56:05 PM »
Thats what i was hoping to hear. Is the axle seal the only thing that could cause this?
83 shorbed pickup. 22 re swap. Dual ultimates, l52hd tranny, 5 " marlin trailflex lift. Yukon 529. Grizzly in rear zip locker front. And a bunch of other stuff....

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2009, 07:00:02 PM »
Yes but because its been leaking on the bearings the oil will wash away the grease. So you need to replace the bearing now.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
Yea it is the only thing to stop the gear oil from coming out of the diff. Make sure it is gear oil and not brake fluid. otherwise you dont have to replace the seal and its your breaks. Also make sure you have a functioning breather, if not that will cause leaks alot faster.

sparkys83yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2009, 07:06:11 PM »
So if the bearing needs to be replaced i will need to get access to a puller and a press.

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2009, 07:10:22 PM »
or just run it by a local shop.

sparkys83yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2009, 07:30:29 PM »
thanks guys. i appreciate it. i am gonna run by marlins monday and pick up the kit. i will post when i am done how it went or i will be asking more questions after i somehow make matters worse.

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2009, 08:30:16 PM »
you got to have faith bro.   you'll learn as the more stuff breaks. ha ha . :biggthumpup:
i love oregon wheelin.

drayday55

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2009, 08:36:16 PM »
so easy, these trucks are made to be serviceable by anyone, not like newer Toyota trucks.

i have a friend who owns a machine shop so i used his press,
while you are at it replace the wheel cylinder for your drum brakes.  you have to pull the axle shaft to change it out and it is a complete pain to do it.  might as well do it all while you are in there. 

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2009, 09:17:30 PM »
so easy, these trucks are made to be serviceable by anyone, not like newer Toyota trucks.

i have a friend who owns a machine shop so i used his press,
while you are at it replace the wheel cylinder for your drum brakes.  you have to pull the axle shaft to change it out and it is a complete pain to do it.  might as well do it all while you are in there. 
Pretty strange, I have changed wheel cylinders on both non-IFS and IFS axles and have never had to press the axle off to do it.

There is a way to change the bearing without a press and SST. Most people will not do it because they think it will mess up the axle. Never seen it mess up and axle and it works great if you do not have access to a press and SST. Here is a link to it.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/rear_axle/wheel_bearing/
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2009, 09:36:34 PM »
i would definatly pull your drum off before you do anything and make sure its not brake fluid.
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

sparkys83yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2009, 09:51:03 PM »
i am pretty sure it is not brake fluid. I am not at all experienced with working on my own rig but gear oil has a pretty distinctive smell. But i will be pulling the drum off before i buy the rear axle service kit to confirm.

drayday55

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2009, 11:03:40 PM »
Pretty strange, I have changed wheel cylinders on both non-IFS and IFS axles and have never had to press the axle off to do it.

There is a way to change the bearing without a press and SST. Most people will not do it because they think it will mess up the axle. Never seen it mess up and axle and it works great if you do not have access to a press and SST. Here is a link to it.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/rear_axle/wheel_bearing/

funny you mention that , because every "how to" i see, the wheel cyl is removable without pulling the axle shafts.
but on my truck we installed the axle shaft onto the backing plate, forgot to put on the wheel cyl. and i tried everything to sqeze it in, it could not be done.

the fsm has 2 types of drums  duo servo and non,  i believe i have the duo servo type.  the fsm does however show my setup, but it does not say anything about wheel cyl removal procedures..  kinda wierd

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2009, 09:52:24 AM »
here is a way to do it without a press http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=19916.msg497750#msg497750

however since you are close to Marlins,  i would just remove the axle shaft thats the problem, pull the drum and shoes off then take the shaft to Marlins and have them press a new bearing on, then reassemble yourself,  much less expensive for you and  it'll be done right :thumbs:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

sparkys83yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 30, 2009, 01:12:38 PM »
yeah fortunately for me marlins shop is less than one mile from my house. that is probably exactly what I am gonna do.