Author Topic: Broken 4 wheel drive.  (Read 8335 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Broken 4 wheel drive.
« Reply #30 on: Nov 02, 2004, 04:01:56 PM »
Easy there buddy.  Dont have to get all lovey dovey on me here

No problem though, hope you get em :beerchug:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 02, 2004, 08:01:10 PM »
Just buy yourself a gear set (Yukon or Precision Gear are my favorites) and an install kit that has the shims and stuff.  When you get it in hand, let me know and I'll get it setup for you.  Also, you might want to check into shipping rates...it may end up cheaper to source a diff in Cali than to ship one from NM.  Either way, just let me know how I can help...

Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Nov 02, 2004, 08:05:32 PM »
yeah i was thinking that too.  Anyway,i'll just have to look and see what prices I can get.  THanks for all the help

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 03, 2004, 12:09:14 PM »
Pulled this of central 4wheel drives website.  We got one near us so I was wondering if this could be used.  It is fairly cheap but i dont know enough about gears and such to know exactly how this works.  If it wont work, why not??

Lock Right Locker
The Powertrax Lock-Right Locker is the original locking differential that could be easily installed in existing case assemblies without any special tools or setup equipment. It has been widely used in demanding off-road applications around the world requiring extreme traction output and high-strength. For traction output, strength and durability, the Lock-Right Locker rivals much more expensive competitive lockers sold only as complete case replacement assemblies. It is a leading product because the Lock-Right delivers as much traction output, its end assembly is exceptionally strong, is much less expensive, and does not require professional installation (because the complete case assembly does not have to be replaced and realigned with precision calibration equipment). An excellent choice for off-road vehicle applications. ***Only fits with an Open Carrier***

-Ronald Reagan

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Nov 03, 2004, 12:20:18 PM »
Thats like a trac-lock where as it replaces the spider gears in your existing carrier, did you inspect your carrier for other damage?

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Nov 03, 2004, 12:39:51 PM »
not yet I havent had the chance
If the carrier is good, would that be a good choice??

-Ronald Reagan

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Nov 03, 2004, 12:52:13 PM »
If you want a cheap locker I dont see why not, I run full lockers and have no experience with that type of locker so I cant tell you much about their performance or how much abuse they will take.

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 03, 2004, 12:59:30 PM »
I honestly wouldnt know what would be best.  I have very little experience with gears so this is a learning experience for me.  If you could tell me what exactly would this do for me, pros and cons of it, and i guess a quick layman's terms overview of how gears work, and how this locker oppoosed to other lockers would work I would really appreciate it.  Also, I have heard you dont want to put a locker in the front becasue it messes with the steering and control of the truck.  Is this true??  what are the adverse effects of having a locker in the front. 

Does anyone have experience with this type of locker??  I have no idea what to expect from it and what is the difference between it and a full locker.

Sorry for all the questions :hammerhead:

-Ronald Reagan

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Nov 03, 2004, 01:23:58 PM »
The lock right is a good locker but its not recomended for trucks with your tire size I would try and get a selectible locker since its the front that way you can dis-engage it whenever you want
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Nov 03, 2004, 01:32:22 PM »
why isnt it recommended for my tire size?? I cant find any cheap selectable lockers.  Cheap is key here.  I have NO money right now.  Even if I go this locker route, it'll be a month or so before i can buy it

-Ronald Reagan

SWAMPER

• Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Nov 03, 2004, 02:19:09 PM »
Well its recommended for rigs that have smaller tires cause Im guessing the torque that big tires put out may be too big for the locker....but Ive heard of this guy that has 37's on his sami and hes running a lock-right and if you really are in the cheap department get a spool...but Ive heard that would do wonders for your IFS :yupyup:
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #41 on: Nov 06, 2004, 08:25:12 AM »
yea blackdog,  a spool is a no no,  with ifs i wouldnt put anything but a detroit truetrac in there,   its a gear biasing diff like in the rear of Mack trucks, not a true locker but tougher than limited slips,  Bill Chase in hotsprings has several complet ifs thirds from manual trucks and automatics,  i picked up a tcase and gas pedal there yesterday, i bet if you wave a Ben in his face hes set you up,  oh i bet your in Cali though huh,  well crap

hey swampy,  did you get this,  if you need something let me know he has all kinds a stuff up there
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

SWAMPER

• Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Nov 06, 2004, 08:44:44 AM »
BlackDog you might want to check out the aussie locker I heard its good, strong, and easy on your tires Im not sure if they are recomended for your tire size though you might want to check

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Nov 07, 2004, 11:03:36 PM »
cool thanks lilswamper

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Nov 15, 2004, 12:43:57 PM »
Are spiders depend on the gears as well??  Is there a difference between say spiders for a 5.29 gear set and a 4.10 gear set??  My neighbor has a bucket of spiders at home that he said i could pick through if he had what i needed.  Can i buy spiders by themselves?? and how much would that cost? I am trying to do this as cheap as possible.

-Ronald Reagan

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #45 on: Nov 15, 2004, 03:45:22 PM »
they are the same i would just get a tru-trac in the front for 335 and be done with it.
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Nov 15, 2004, 04:40:01 PM »
Are spiders depend on the gears as well?? Is there a difference between say spiders for a 5.29 gear set and a 4.10 gear set?? My neighbor has a bucket of spiders at home that he said i could pick through if he had what i needed. Can i buy spiders by themselves?? and how much would that cost? I am trying to do this as cheap as possible.
  go dig your buddys bucket for some  spiders and get some rtv
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Nov 15, 2004, 08:03:11 PM »
cool i'll give it a shot

-Ronald Reagan

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Nov 16, 2004, 08:18:50 AM »
dont forget the pin

Silverbullet

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Dec 22, 2005, 10:11:50 AM »
Does anyone know how to tell what gear ratio the front diff is? I need to either rebuild or swap my front diff and I am just as clueless as the other fella about this stuff. I have a 91 V6 Toy, I think the current front diff is the stock one, can you tell by VIN or do you just have to open the puppy up and take a peek, if so what do you look for to tell the difference. Thanks, all of u r very helpful.

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Dec 22, 2005, 10:22:20 AM »
if you open it up, the ring gear has the ratio stamped into its edge.  If it is the stock diff, I beleive it is 4.10 gears :crossed: don't quote me on that though.  Another option is to lift the front of the truck, and spin the tire 1 rotation, and count the # of times the driveshaft spins.  Do some division, and you'll get the ratio 

-Ronald Reagan