Author Topic: 82 Toy, it begins!  (Read 26601 times)

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 82 Toy, it begins!
« Reply #30 on: Aug 14, 2009, 10:29:03 PM »
The long block is going together nicely!  I hope to have it in the truck next weekend, then it's up to Marlin to ship my new HD Tranny!

Here it is with a few of the goodies on it....

And I threw the LCE header on just to see how it looks...

More to come tomorrow!

Nate
NICE!  :drooling:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

THE ROCK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 219
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Aug 19, 2009, 12:23:41 PM »
I like that green bungee battery hold down! that truck is too clean to carve up! fyi-rustoleum #771 sand is a very close color match for the early 80s tan color :beerchug: :haha:

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Aug 19, 2009, 01:19:04 PM »
I used Rust-Oleum Satin #7758 Almond. It's sooo close to the OG color too.
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

YotaNate [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Aug 19, 2009, 10:34:49 PM »
Thanks Hilux-1983 and THE ROCK, thats good to know!  Should have more goodies from the UPS man anyday!

Nate
"A CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine Sniper asked.  What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?
The Marine shrugged and replied, "Recoil."

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #34 on: Aug 24, 2009, 05:34:43 PM »
:popcorn:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

wakkjobb

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 1,590
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Back at it after 5 years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Aug 24, 2009, 10:31:31 PM »
What all goodies from LC did you get? I'd like to pick up a cam and exhaust eventually.  :down:

>>Dan
ASE certified shadetree mechanic and spoon operator
IronClad: If I wanted to hold hands and be nice I'd become a hippie.
85 4Runner, duals, 38s, 5.29s, locked, 3.4 swapped, GranVille Edition

YotaNate [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Aug 24, 2009, 11:43:38 PM »
What all goodies from LC did you get? I'd like to pick up a cam and exhaust eventually.  :down:

>>Dan

I picked up a Valve cover, Oil Pan, Water Pump, Header, block off plates, oil cooler, intake, Weber 32/36, K&N Filter, and assorted hardware that I needed.  They have been awesome in helping me find the small stuff I needed for this rebuild.  I am keeping the engine I pulled as complete as possible to sell, it ran like a top after i put a new pump and gaskets on it!  I need that Tranny now Marlin!  :D

Nate
"A CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine Sniper asked.  What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?

YotaNate [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sep 01, 2009, 10:43:24 PM »
OK so I'm slacking on the updates I know!  I got presents from the FedEx man today but it wasn't my Tranny :(  So I called Marlin and they forgot to ship it!!  :smack:  Anyway it's on the way now and I have to wait until next week to put it in.  For the good news....The engine is IN THE TRUCK!  YUT!!  I have a new problem though, fuel lines!  I am not going to run any emissions junk and I don't know which hardline is the one that goes to the fuel pump and I don't know which hardline is for the return to the gas tank.  I want to get these lines run tomorrow and get my regulator and filter installed but I need help so I don't screw up the lines!  I also have lines that I think went to the charcoal canister and to???  If anyone has pictures or a diagram of where things go I could REALY use them!  I'll post pictures tomorrow once it gets light, sorry i have been gone we worked 12 on 12 off 13 days straight so not much free time.  Have to make the flight schedule!  It's a whole new world on this side of the river  :stopit: lol.

Nate

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sep 02, 2009, 01:33:17 AM »
WOW you've got a super clean truck man! Please don't beat that thing up!
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sep 02, 2009, 04:02:12 PM »
I'll take pics for ya of what mine looks like. Although, Mine has all of the factory smog stuff on it. Just let me know in detail what you need and I'll takem and postem.
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sep 02, 2009, 05:28:51 PM »
you will have 3 hard lines from the tank,  one is the suction line, one goes to the charcoal can, and one is the return line

the charcoal line is welded to the top of the tank,  the other two go in the sender thingie
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

YotaNate [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sep 02, 2009, 09:06:39 PM »
my new fuel pump came in today!  When I tried to install it I realized i needed the spacer off the old engine, needless to say it exploded into a dozen pieces so i ordered a new one, should be here in the morning.  The lines I need to figure out are the hardlines from the tank that terminate on the passenger side of the truck down near the frame.  Thanks to you guys I know 1 is the feed from the tank, 1 is a return TO the tank and 1 goes to the charcoal canister (which I removed). 
  If you could just post up a quick picture with those labled or describe which is which I will be able to run my new 5/16" fuel lines with my nifty little gauge and regulator for the Webber!  I also picked up a few in-line little clear filters so I can see how quick they get dirty.  Not sure how clean the tank is so I want to keep an eye on them filters!  Thank you Coyote and Hilux for helping me along so much with this project.  I have big plans for this extended weekend and If the tranny had made it on schedule :_oops2: the truck would have been making it's maiden voyage in Version 2.0 mode!  Thanks again guys and I look forward to getting these 3 lines sorted out.   :bananabeer:

Nate

YotaNate [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sep 03, 2009, 09:00:24 AM »
These showed up yesterday.....

Really need to get these fuel lines matched up to the pump!  I also just realized that only one of my heater core hoses has somewhere to connect to my new Offy manifold :hammerhead:  Not sure what to do with the other one, the hose connected to a spot on the original manifold that does not exist on the Offy manifold.  Any ideas on that?  It's always the final details that get ya!

Nate

Dr.Maxwe001

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sep 03, 2009, 09:26:22 AM »
you said them tires showed up at your place well i am sure they are there by mistake since they just "SHOWED-UP"  you can go ahead and send them on to me.  :haha:
IF YOUR LOOKING OUT THE FRONT OF YOUR 4X4 AND YOU CANT SEE THEN JUST TURN ON YOUR WIPERS. BUT THEN THINGS GET ALL MESSED UP LIKE IN LIFE.

WHEN YOU GET TO THE END OF YOUR ROPE JUST THINK THAT ALONG TIME AGO  YOU WERE THE FASTEST LITTLE SWIMMER TO THE EGG

08:55:22 PM BeccaLoo24 – i like to screw things

$99 scratch and dent drill press has drilled more holes than Ron Jeremy.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48342.0

[img]http://bo

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sep 03, 2009, 04:53:02 PM »
Sweet man !!!! Did ya decide with what lift to go with?

YotaNate [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Sep 03, 2009, 10:08:14 PM »
Sweet man !!!! Did ya decide with what lift to go with?

I did!  What I wanted and what my budget said I could afford didn't agree so I went with a 3.5" lift spring and 33" BFG AT's.  The plan is to transfer the lift and wheels to the wifes Runner (when we find a clean enough one for her thats NOT red LOL) at wich time i'll do the Marlin 5" kit with 37's and detroits front and rear!  Till then this should make for a very nice DD.

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sep 04, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »
I did!  What I wanted and what my budget said I could afford didn't agree so I went with a 3.5" lift spring and 33" BFG AT's.  The plan is to transfer the lift and wheels to the wifes Runner (when we find a clean enough one for her thats NOT red LOL) at wich time i'll do the Marlin 5" kit with 37's and detroits front and rear!  Till then this should make for a very nice DD.

Most excellent plan!! Keep us posted

YotaNate [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sep 09, 2009, 09:50:44 PM »
I got it!  I got it!!  :yesnod:  As soon as the sun comes up the new tranny is going in!  I am very excited to hear the engine and see my truck move under it's own power once again!  Pictures and an update tomorrow!

Nate

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sep 10, 2009, 08:51:31 PM »
Great, just great! Now I'm gonna lose sleep!  :red_eyes:

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #49 on: Sep 10, 2009, 09:06:45 PM »
your truck is super clean man!  cant wait to see some more pics!
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

b0x

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 110
  • Member since Aug '09
  • 187k miles & counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sep 10, 2009, 09:14:55 PM »
I was a Toyota parts guy for years and that ranks up top with some of the cleanest 1st gens Ive seen. Congrats on the find. A truck that clean comes from a single owner usually. How old was the seller. Or was he dead and the family selling it? lol

Good luck on the project!
New Mexico wheeling

Halladay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '09
  • HALLADAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sep 11, 2009, 07:42:55 AM »
I was a Toyota parts guy for years and that ranks up top with some of the cleanest 1st gens Ive seen. Congrats on the find. A truck that clean comes from a single owner usually. How old was the seller. Or was he dead and the family selling it? lol

i  like

YotaNate [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sep 11, 2009, 09:41:50 AM »

Actually he did die :(  I did not know him but he had the truck it's entire life, had one of those old funky 70's camper shell's on it.  After he died the wife let their church use it for about a year and then she put it up for sell and i went and got it.  The rest is history!

Nate

YotaNate [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sep 11, 2009, 10:01:42 AM »
OK the Tranny came yesterday while I was at work... L52 HD, this is how the corner looked where it mates up to the T-Case... :thumbdown:

I spent 3 hours with a small round file trying to make the opening just big enough to allow the bolt through straight without needlesly weakening the case any further.  The crate was packed OK, looks like FEDEX was a little rough because there was a hole in the crate.  Either way it took a long time but it's in now! :thumbs:

Nate

YotaNate [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Sep 11, 2009, 10:07:09 AM »
HELP!!  Where does this go?

I think it has something to do with the Alternator maybe?  The truck seems to wear down the battery until it dies however I am not getting a charge light on the dash.  The light is good it shows up when you turn the key on.  Maybe somebody knows where this goes?

Nate

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sep 11, 2009, 10:18:28 AM »
what size is that wire??  how long is it

YotaNate [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sep 11, 2009, 10:19:40 AM »
While I am waiting for help with this wire issue I though I would post some long due updates...

And Guess what these are!! :headscratch:

I'm going to wait on this install until I get the bugs worked out of the new Engine/Clutch/Transmission install

Nate

YotaNate [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sep 11, 2009, 10:23:18 AM »
what size is that wire??  how long is it

Glen the wire is exactly 23" long and i don't know the gauge, decent speaker wire gauge maybe 12 or 14?  It has the old school heavy duty hard insulation on it and says Yakzi 1981.  It also has a small sleeve of factory looking heat shield over it.

Nate

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sep 11, 2009, 10:29:06 AM »
Glen the wire is exactly 23" long and i don't know the gauge, decent speaker wire gauge maybe 12 or 14?  It has the old school heavy duty hard insulation on it and says Yakzi 1981.  It also has a small sleeve of factory looking heat shield over it.

Nate
ground wire,  it goes under a bolt on the power steering, over to a plug on the regulator harness

i'll try and look and see what plug  on my truck

YotaNate [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sep 11, 2009, 10:29:40 AM »
Off topic but they have been with me through every step of the build so far...

From left to right Dakota and Cheyenne.