Author Topic: Rate my truck for the trail please  (Read 9000 times)

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: Rate my truck for the trail please
« Reply #30 on: Jul 16, 2009, 04:17:29 PM »
Running the Con during any holiday weekend or planned event is pretty pointless, you always spend more time waiting for broken rigs to get fixed, or towed up the trail. 

The whole idea of running the trail as fast as you can mentality is the problem w/most of the popular trails, and is the very reason why they are so torn up and in danger of closing.  The Rubicon used to take a good 3-4 days to run it, have a good time, and cause very little damage to your rig or the trail.  IMO, if you can't spend that amount of time on the trail, stay home.

Post up on the trail ride section for the the Hi-lakes.  My buddies and I usually camp up there once or twice during the dry season, and usually make a trip monthly during the winter w/a couple of snow camping trips as well.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jul 16, 2009, 08:50:36 PM »
Last time I wheeled high lakes area I was in my taco so heck I am not even sure if I can remember how to get there anymore.   :hammer:  I do remember the start of one the trails I ran was called Devils Door step.  Ill post a pic of when I was on it with my stock taco doing a little rocker panel adjustments.
Sorry pics were scanned and I never did cut out the white. I think youll get the idea tho.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jul 16, 2009, 11:19:14 PM »
"Devils Door Step", that is pretty good.  My buddies and I have been wheeling up there since '94, never heard it called that.  That section can be fun/tricky in a stock/semi stock rig
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jul 16, 2009, 11:22:17 PM »
LOL I was told it was called that from the locals at the time.  Its more fun doing it in a stock taco tho.  Once ur lifted and locked its well Rubicon ?  ??? :moon: :smack:

I didnt go much farther that weekend since the creek is right down the road and I didnt want to scratch my paint.   :therethere:

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jul 17, 2009, 04:24:16 PM »
I can see how it got its name, from back in the day(yes I am old enough to be able to use that phrase), when all that was out on the trail was stock rigs running 28" tires.  That area is great place to be introduced to wheeling, that is where most of my friends learned to wheel their stock rigs on rocks.  Unfortunately or fortunately(depending on how you look at it), I wasn't so lucky, my first foray into the rocks in a stock truck was the Fordyce creek trail from Meadow lake to Fordyce lake.  Minimal damage on the trail, a mild dent on the front valance, and a few scratches was all I received on my 8 month old '90 Toyota, that is until I hydro-locked the engine while attempting Committee x-ing.

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2009, 04:32:48 PM by Snowtoy »

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jul 18, 2009, 05:35:05 AM »
Oh no !!!  that sucks   I have never hydro locked a engine before since I am pretty chicken when it comes to water.  Wait nm I have sorta.  My 2stroke yz250 lol  I was riding back country with it and was crossing a river and well my front tire hit a big rock and laid me over fast.  I kinda didnt get engine off in time and it sucked water.  I did manage to get it fixed the next weekend. 

Anhow yesterday I managed to get my right side shock hoop installed.  Its a rather huge deal without the right tools and having to remove the stock mount.  I love the way it looks.  If I had a torch I could have had the stock mount off in no time with minimal grinding.  Oh well I like things the hard way it seems.  My old man took the camera from the shop so I had to use my phone and pics really suck ars but u can get the idea.
It does look off in this pic for some reason but in person its right where it needs to be. hummm of well.  Gonna put some rubber mat behind it and rivet it down so it covers my engine bay.  It should look good.

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jul 18, 2009, 09:21:45 AM »
Nice!  :thumbs:
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jul 18, 2009, 02:38:33 PM »
Oh no !!!  that sucks   I have never hydro locked a engine before since I am pretty chicken when it comes to water.
If I had a choice I wouldn't have wanted to cross it either, but ot took us teh better part of 8hrs to go from Meadow to the X-ing, the 1/2 mile from Fordyce lake was a lot more appealing than the 8.5 miles and a few more x-ings to finish the trail.  Also both my buddy in his CJ5 and I knew going out the way we came wasn't going to happen at all.  Had my truck not became a boat when I dropped into the hole, I would have likely been fine and instead of a $5600($10-13k in todays values) repair/towing bill, I would have just had a hell of a first time wheeling in the rocks experience.  Fortunately I only had to pay the $1200 for the recovery bill, and 11% of the parts for the repair at the dealership, my insurance picked up the tab for rest of it.

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jul 18, 2009, 09:39:36 PM »
Well its one way to  put a new engine and an already new truck.   :hammerhead: :reg:  I dont think im brave enough to run sierra trek before mid augast.  Even then the river crossing can be a pain.  Ive done the con during snow melt and I you have to get a pry bar to get me out the seat since I was very unsure how deep it was.  Normally when I cross its 2 ft max but it can get a lot deeper in snow melt. Its been a very long time since ive done any real trail runs so I am really looking forward to some nice mello to moderate trails I dont need a locker for.  Then again I now own a second toyota truck as of today which I need to decide what to do with it since it has a blown engine.  Its an 84 xtra cab which I like just needs a new lower end and some body work and it should be a good driver. Not to mention the whole interior is out of it so I would have to put it all back in.

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jul 22, 2009, 06:13:53 AM »
I finished putting the my drivers side shock hoop in yesterday but still need to clean up the mig spatter.  It does look nice having shocks set up like this. 
Ill post a few pics of my horrid welds  :think: :yikes: :crossed:
Gonna put this downey 2.5" exhaust on today and see how it sounds.  If it sucks ill put the stock back on.  Should be ok but I dont want to lose too much low end.

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jul 22, 2009, 03:45:05 PM »
I did a test flex today with the forklift and I am sure it could have gone more but I didnt bother.  Not sure how much flex a marlin 4" can do but this is with stock shackles front and rear.  Once I get longer shackles I am sure this will increase a bunch.  I also installed the downey 2 1/2" exhaust which I wasnt sure how it would sound but its not too bad.  A little loud on decel as most aftermarket setups are.  It deff breathes better above 3k rpm.  Once I drive it some more I will know for sure.

4-lo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -80
  • Male Posts: 752
  • Member since Dec '05
  • build tonite crawl tomorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jul 23, 2009, 05:13:58 PM »
looks like you have no more than an inch of driveline left on your rear.

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jul 24, 2009, 11:05:30 AM »
Ya I need to get a second tcase in there soon or get mine extended.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jul 24, 2009, 06:00:17 PM »
Keep an eye on craigslist.com.  I have seen a few dual come up for sale lately by desperate sellers,  I didn't see any today, but a few says ago a guy was parting out his rig to pay for rent.

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Aug 03, 2009, 07:43:53 AM »
Heres a few quick updared pics of what ive done since last update

The pics of bumper mounted is before I fixed it.  The one where its on the fork lift is fixed I just need to mount it. Also need to modify it again to fit the new winch I got in a trade.

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Aug 03, 2009, 09:02:24 AM »
Looks great haws! Although your front tires might rub the slider when your flexed out. Did you bend and weld those yourself? Nice job!
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Aug 03, 2009, 09:52:58 PM »
Thanks and the sliders are purchased and they are 78" sliders where a long bed 1st gen needs 74" sliders but no one makes them so I am gonna cut the ends off and cap it myself so it will be tucked well out of the way. 
I had to fix a few little things on the sliders today but havent got to cutting them yet.  I cut out a section of my bumper and am figuring out how I am gonna mount my winch and tie it into the frame.  I pretty much have that worked out.  Now I just need to cut the steel and weld it in.  Also gonna be adding a small stinger over the top of the winch and a tube under the mounting plate for the winch.  Then I am gonna put plate steel from the front of winch plate down to the cross member so it will look like a skid plate but its main purpose is gonna be stregnth.   I should have it done tomorrow then I can start pulling my extra 3rd out and welding it.  Gonna use it for wheelin only and swap in my open one for dd.  Plus I need to move my rear springs 2"s forward.  I need to get all this done by thursday since friday I am heading to fresno to pick up my new L52HD from marlin.  Friday night I leave for high lakes. Man I need some help !!!! lol :hammerhead: :smack: :beer: :beer: :sleepy:

heres a picture of the plate I am gonna use as my main mount for winch.  Should work out perfect.  :crossed:

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Aug 03, 2009, 09:56:17 PM »
When you see Marlin tell him Rob from Buckeye says hi and that I've got about 1500 miles on my new L52HD and I LIKE it.

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Aug 03, 2009, 10:29:15 PM »
Ill remember this as long as well 10 mins from now.  lol I am very bad a passing on msgs  but I will do my best.  I cant wait to get mine.  SOOO tired of the whine of my  input bearing.

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Aug 04, 2009, 11:09:36 PM »
I'll go against the others, and say that I think if you take it easy, and pick you're lines right you could probably do the 'con. Granted, I haven't been there in about 5 yrs, and it's prolly changed a bit since I was there, but I've seen stock Willy's MB make it thru there by taking it easy, picking the lines, backing off when it's not right and trying again. I had almost the exact same truck many years ago, and wheeled the piss out of it. Did Dusey, swamp lake, Clear lake, Hollister and several other trails, and only broke one shock mount. It's 80% driver, 15% rig and 5% luck. (Hell, I used to wheel my maxima in places I watched others lock in their hubs, its all about picking your lines) Building a rig is a never ending process. You can keep going until you're broke, or it's not even the same rig. I say wheel it, and if you feel like you need to get some seat time before doing the 'con, then hit some of the local trails first. Get comfortable with it's handling characteristics and have a good time.

Just my thoughts. Go enjoy your truck. By the way, it's sweet!

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Aug 05, 2009, 03:16:37 AM »
Truck looks great.  Just needs locker in the rear is all.  Shoot, 20 years ago, that would have BEEN a "Con" type rig.  Pretty much can do anything you want in it as-is if you have enough skill.

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Aug 05, 2009, 07:17:01 AM »
I was big into wheelin 10 yrs ago then I just couldnt afford it and ended up a long haul truck driver so I didnt have the time to do it.  Ive run the con in some pretty basic rigs.  Its been a long time and I heard they really screwed the trail by moving rocks.  Either or ill be at MCR this year and by then I should have some 35's under me.  Then it wont be an issue.  My rig will flex very well so traction is my only problem.  Well that and gears. 
On a bummer note the winch I traded for the head didnt work out since the guy that took the head was worried about losing power since it was a turbo head.  I told him all he needed to do was take .002 off the head and he would be at stock 22R compression ratio but oh well I am gonna sell it off since its a very nice rebuilt head.  I did end up modifying my bumper for a winch before this happened so I now have a newer looking bumper with a receiver hitch in it.  I just need to finish reinforcing it and plating.   It does look pretty sweet tho.  Atleast I think so.
These pics dont really show how its mounted tho.  Ill take a closer one today.  There is a lot more strength to it then you can see from these pics.

Today tho I need to cut my front spring hangers off and make new one then move them forward 2"s to get my rear axle in its correct location.  Gonna have to fab new hangers that are better and stronger then the ones I made before.  Gonna slope these so they will slide better if I contact them.

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Aug 06, 2009, 07:52:22 AM »
I guess this is kind of my build thread atm.  Gonna post a full build thread with pics some day.  Cant type all that well since I my thump got between a hammer and a piece of steel. 
Anyhow I managed to sorta fab some new rear spring hangers.  I thought hey BIGGER is better right ?  To say the least I dont think I will ever have to worry bout these hangers.  My welds are getting much better since I learned a trick to make this low power HF welder work for me. 
I also got a hold of a drop arm for my steering so now I can make u turns again.  Take a look.
How does my drive shaft angle look now that I moved my axle forward 1" ?
I now need to fix the right side shackle location since when I put it on it was late and I measured wrong. I think the shackle angles are decent. 
My truck is sitting higher in the rear since I moved axle and dont have my heavy bumper on yet.  I need to finish welding it.

82juguete

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Aug 06, 2009, 10:06:11 AM »
the rear diff is easy enough to swap out, that you might consider picking up a spare stock 3rd ($20-$40) and welding it up.  Its some extra work but that way you can swap it in before a trail run and keep your unlocked one for the street.  A rear locker will help you A TON.  Only problem is im not sure your welder is up for the task...

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Aug 06, 2009, 05:27:56 PM »
I have a spare 3rd sitting in an axle I am gonna pull to weld it up.  Was planning on doing just what you sudgested.  My HF special wont do a weld like that but I have a Lincoln gas powered arc welder for it.  I had a buddy show me how to make it so you can pull the 3rd without disconnecting the brake lines.  I should have that done next week.

Today I moved my right rear shackle to get the angle correct.  Working on my rear bumper as well.  Lots of welding. I am gonna post pics tonight.

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Aug 10, 2009, 03:51:23 PM »
With the con being such a mess over the last few yrs I think ill head up to paradise and run the trails there.  High lake is a fun area and never anyone around for the most part.  I just need another truck to go with so at least one of our trucks gets home.

I have 2 3rds sitting in the back of my truck but both are blown to heck.  I would like to get a set of 4.88s and weld rear. Beg for an Aussie locker for an early Xmas present ? LOL :disturbed:

Don't do an Aussie or lock right in the rear. They are junk. Weld it, spool, Detroit, or ARB. Aussies/lock rights are throw away lockers. I have stripped 3 lock rights in the rear in the matter of about 8 months (that was wheelin pretty much 3 weekends a month) I would run a lockright or Aussie in the front though.
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Aug 11, 2009, 11:57:10 AM »
I have stripped 3 lock rights in the rear in the matter of about 8 months (that was wheelin pretty much 3 weekends a month)...

But have you broken an Aussie?  I believe them to be a better product than the Lock Right is.  If you've ever messed with one it is significantly different in design.  The materials are very different and the springs are way softer allowing it to lock and unlock easier/better/properly.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

80toyontons

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Aug 14, 2009, 03:37:34 PM »
dont even think about the con till u have some bigger tires and a locker in at least the rear! a good friend of mine ran his welded as a dd for two years no problem.......that was hauling a pipe machine and all the tools to the job every day. never broke or f up tires...
1980 toy. d60 up front, c14 out back. doved

ia yota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Aug 27, 2009, 01:18:21 PM »
when are you getting bigger tires?

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Aug 28, 2009, 09:39:23 AM »
My 33's are gonna be here in 5 mins.  I cant go bigger since I dont have Hi steer so im pretty much gonna be screwed there.  I have my 3rd welded and I am gonna start torqueing it in a sec.  So I  might throw it in and see how it works.  My suspension is now near 7" lift in rear and 6+" in the front so I can flex like heck.  Getting over 30"s in rear and having tested front yet.