Author Topic: Rate my truck for the trail please  (Read 8992 times)

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
Rate my truck for the trail please
« on: Jul 15, 2009, 07:44:23 AM »
I am really aching to get out on the trail but I know my truck just isnt set up for anything serious.  I have personally fabed everything besides the leaf springs so that worries me even more.  Going to be putting on my extended brake lines today as well as making some 2" lift shackles for front and maybe rear this week.  
I REALLY want to do the con this year and not bypass cept for sluice.
Heres my specs so far:

82 Toyota pickup
Stock engine pretty much brand new-including bout everything else in engine compartment.
Stock trans but Marlins building me an L52HD soon
Stock gears front and rear no lockers or welded.
4" Marlin springs in rear
4" Old school downey leafs in front
Rs9000s 14" front , 16" rear
Heavy duty U bolt flip kit minus left front since I dont have hi steer of yet.
Stock steering as of now but am looking hard to get high steer soon.
31" pretty brand new BFGs on steels(dont want to take these on the trail tho)
Custom fabed crossmember which gives me 2-3"s more clearance on tcase.
Have pipe to build sliders so thats gonna be done in next few weeks.

Not having lockers or at least a locker in the rear is gonna suck but I am on ssdi so I really cant afford any parts tbh
Dont think I want to weld the rear since this truck is a daily driver but I am considering it.
If I can find a very sweet deal on some 4.88 gears ill do that 1st.
Heres a few pics of the stuff ive made so far. May not look pretty but I think it will handle the trail
Ill post some more pics when I get my shackles made and on as well as sliders.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Rate my truck for the trail please
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2009, 07:52:59 AM »
:thumbs: :biggthumpup: :)
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 155
  • Male Posts: 2,356
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2009, 08:24:46 AM »
um dude it depends I could be nice and say sure no problem I 've seen it done before.  But if you want the truth you are going to be holding up everyone else you are going with because they will be towing you or stacking rocks all day.  Atleast weld up the rear and put 33's on.  If you do not have the money for parts how are you going to have the money to fix ur shiz when it breaks on the trail just my 2 cents

toytank

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Male Posts: 354
  • Member since Sep '06
  • ROCKSOLIDMOTORSPORTS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2009, 08:49:58 AM »
im with him its a real nice rig at least weld the rear get some new tires  i have an 82  on 33's open diffs with 4:37 and it a great truck but i wouldnt dream of putting it in the rocks its my hunting fishing rig. . but like i said your rig has tons of potentail.
old and sqeaky but she goes

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2009, 08:55:56 AM »
I think it is too nice to go trash on the con....

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2009, 08:58:48 AM »
Like said before bigger tires, gears, lockers, Need to move rear spring mount back to steep an angle, mount lower shock mount on top of axle, remove old brackets, get u bolt flip kits and how thick is that crossmember skid?

ROKTOY829

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 191
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2009, 08:59:39 AM »
Thats a really nice truck from the pic. I would just use that one as a dd and find another one to crawl with. You will hate it when you start getting body damage on a truck that nice. just my :twocents:

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2009, 09:03:02 AM »
he has u bolt flip kits, but cant install the driver's side front due to no hysteer

his crossmember is 1/4"

i think his angle is right, he did move the rear shackle hangers back already

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2009, 09:04:54 AM »
as of  right now, i would say on a scale of 1-5
1 being a fire road, 5 being  pretty much a rock cliff,  your truck rates a 2,  if you get a rear locker (i suggest an aussie or lockright) and some 33's  you'd move up to a 3 and from what ive heard most of the easier parts of the Con are a 3

with sliders, 35's and a rear locker you could easily do the 3 stuff and some of the easier 4 stuff

5 stuff??   36 or bigger, locked front and rear, winch and a full cage and 4-5 point harness
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 15, 2009, 09:05:57 AM »
he has u bolt flip kits, but cant install the driver's side front due to no hysteer

his crossmember is 1/4"

i think his angle is right, he did move the rear shackle hangers back already

Not in the rear he has the stock mount plate under axle.
1/4" might be OK, I would have 3/8"
And I still say the rear angle is a bit much.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 15, 2009, 09:09:39 AM »
with a good setup and some driving skill you don't have to rape the body panels,  look at Marlin and BigMikes trucks

Ive been on trails at hot Springs where guys have come out looking like a raisin  and i come out with a couple light scratches
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 15, 2009, 09:09:43 AM »

his rear shackles layed against the frame before he moved them...

as for the ubolt flip, early on in his post, he says he has them, but hasn't yet installed it

crazykooter is a great, technical driver, used to be an over the road truck driver also

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 15, 2009, 09:11:12 AM »
I agree his rear shackle is angled too much

OH  and i wouldnt try to LIFT the front end with shackles :nonono:

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2009, 09:12:32 AM »
OK, on the flips
Do think on a good rear tire stuff they will lay on the frame again.

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2009, 09:13:58 AM »
Excellent tips guys!
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 15, 2009, 09:15:18 AM »
OK, on the flips
Do think on a good rear tire stuff they will lay on the frame again.

they look right in the middle to me, sure they might lay on the frame, but then, if you change the angle more, you aren't going to be able to droop the otehr side, i think you would need some space both directions....

i know on my 2wd, i had 2" lift shackles, my shackles were pretty much vertical @ ride height, leaving no droop

~ John F. Kennedy ~

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 15, 2009, 09:23:11 AM »
The U bolt flip kit is on and I fabbed new shock mounts to axle. The shackle angle is where its suppose to be from when I installed the mcrear4s.  I moved shackle hangers back 2"s like I was suppose to.  I am gonna flex it today and see what happens.  It rides very well on the road tho. 
As for rating me and me being upset it wont happen. I posted this for this sort of input so its what I want. 
The truck itself may look too nice but the cab was layed up on a tree so its pretty much done as it is. 
I wont hit the trails without being sure I can make it.  Ive run the con with taco with a 6" lift ifs front without lockers and made it fine but I bypassed a few of the harder parts. 
the crossmember is 1/4" but its gusseted and reinforced enough it should take some abuse.  I plan on using 35-12.5-15 rims and tires from a friends truck.  Hes parting out his rig and so they are just sitting there with a few good trail runs left in them.
Keep the input coming!! thx guys. 
Also post some pics of what your shackle angle is for your marlin rear springs.

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 15, 2009, 09:23:37 AM »
Yeah vertical aint good, I run 24* and have no problems.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2009, 09:35:50 AM by *ROKTOY* »

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 15, 2009, 09:33:55 AM »
need new pictures ;)

~ John F. Kennedy ~

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 15, 2009, 09:36:16 AM »
Yep, that would help.

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 15, 2009, 10:13:43 AM »
Heres the pics of the shock mounts I made and the u bolt flip kit installed.
I have to go fix a computer for a few extra bucks but I will be installing myMarlin shock hoops today since they just came in.
Ill add more pics as I go.

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 15, 2009, 11:24:32 AM »
the way it was in the pic i could fense it threw the con
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 15, 2009, 11:35:49 AM »
black paint josh ;) no more of that grey primer stuff, lol :biggthumpup:

~ John F. Kennedy ~

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 15, 2009, 11:43:38 AM »
I see that your park brake cable is way above the marlin 5" springs? How did you do that and got pics from a different view? thanks
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jul 15, 2009, 12:13:45 PM »
I see that your park brake cable is way above the marlin 5" springs? How did you do that and got pics from a different view? thanks
They are 4" springs but lifted me more like 5"s.  Where the e brake mounts to the axle is where it gets its height.  Not sure what your bracket looks like. I can take a pic of mine later today.

Ok im not just doing a shackle lift. I am making extended shackles for the front and the lift is the result. Either or longer shackles front and rear are the norm imo.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 15, 2009, 12:16:11 PM »
They are 4" springs but lifted me more like 5"s.  Where the e brake mounts to the axle is where it gets its height.  Not sure what your bracket looks like. I can take a pic of mine later today.

Ok im not just doing a shackle lift. I am making extended shackles for the front and the lift is the result. Either or longer shackles front and rear are the norm imo.

longer shackles up front will rotate the pinion angle and change the caster if the front mount also isn't dropped at the same time, i think that is why people are telling you to not lift it in front with shackles

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Halladay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '09
  • HALLADAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jul 15, 2009, 12:20:44 PM »
lincon lockers!  :beerchug:

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jul 15, 2009, 08:16:25 PM »
You should be fine w/the 35's and some body protection, what bypasses you use are up to you.  My buddy took an '85 runner on the Con last fall, all he did was install his bumper/winch from his rolled Rover, fabbed up some sliders, and cut the fenders to clear some beat to hell 35's.  Ran it with very little issues.

If you have to stack a rock here or there or need a strap, that is all part of wheeling.  I have spent far more time waiting for broke rigs to get fixed on the trail, then for someone getting unstuck. 

Since you are running stock gears, you could just pick up a cheap 3rd and weld it up, run it, and then swap back to the open for the street.  It would be a PITA to do this every time, but if you only expect to run Rubicon once this summer, it wouldn't be that bad.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jul 15, 2009, 08:49:32 PM »
The biggest problem with the Rubicon is the traffic.  I believe that I could get your truck through the trail with minimal to no damage IF I took the time to work things slowly.  This can't really happen during an event and maybe not ever on the Rubicon.

You don't have the gears to crawl which means you need to be prepared to bounce and bouncing leads to body damage AND broken parts.  Your truck is clean enough that I suspect you wouldn't be happy with a raisin, as Glen calls it.

Unless your willing to destroy your rig, you need gears and at least one locker to enjoy an event on the Rubicon.

I'd recommend a 4.7 t-case and a rear locker before planning to go.  If you were to make a Rubicon trip with a small group during a low traffic time, you could be successful with less.

Last year I wheeled with a guy driving a truck on 31s, no lockers and essentially no lift.  He did extremely well, but did some serious body damage to his truck.  I believe he was only on the strap twice during the trip and given the time he could have driven both spots.

:twocents:

1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jul 15, 2009, 08:58:20 PM »
With the con being such a mess over the last few yrs I think ill head up to paradise and run the trails there.  High lake is a fun area and never anyone around for the most part.  I just need another truck to go with so at least one of our trucks gets home.

I have 2 3rds sitting in the back of my truck but both are blown to heck.  I would like to get a set of 4.88s and weld rear. Beg for an aussie locker for an early xmas present ? LOL :disturbed: