Author Topic: Tires...lets beat this DEAD horse..  (Read 3010 times)

llamas

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
Tires...lets beat this DEAD horse..
« on: Jun 07, 2009, 05:28:27 PM »
I'm looking to buy bfg t/a's but nooooo..howa bout goodyear wranglers ??? They "look" like good on/off road
but I don't know anybody that runs them sooooo .... who's runnin them and how do you like them on the
hiway after they get some miles on em ?

That's IT.. no big deal I just need another freakin opinion !!! that's from my wife who says make a decision , all I want to do is buy some friggin tires............THANKS :rivers:
don whitman

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
Re: Tires...lets beat this DEAD horse..
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2009, 05:44:09 PM »
My experience with both of the are the 35/12.50/15 size.   I live in the midwest where we have very little bare rocks.  Most rocks are covered with dirt/mud/mossy slime.  When its not that its mud.    My Goodyear MTR's were good on dry rock when I could find it, but absolutely sucked in mud.  They also wore out twice as fast as my BFG MT KM's.  The BFG's were much better in mud and all around basic Midwestern terrain.  I would by BFG's again anytime and will never buy another set of the MTR's (at least the old style).  Goodyear just redesigned the MTR so they may be better.  Just my 2  :twocents:
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

Misfit4Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 313
  • Member since Jul '07
  • This line intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2009, 06:00:06 PM »
I had both in 31's the bfg's wore a long time on the road but didn't do so well on wet hard pack. did well on sand and in mud surprisingly. the wranglers are also great on the road and wear long some people say they have had trouble with hydro planning? never felt it with either and that's at 80 in the rain. the wranglers also where good on dry rock and in mud but kill me everytime in the sand. if you do anything where its deep sand I would say the bfg's other than that i would go wranglers again.
If you dont stand behind our troops, Please feel free to stand in front of them.

88 xtra cab sas'd dual cases flatbed

llamas [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2009, 06:58:56 PM »
I had both in 31's the bfg's wore a long time on the road but didn't do so well on wet hard pack. did well on sand and in mud surprisingly. the wranglers are also great on the road and wear long some people say they have had trouble with hydro planning? never felt it with either and that's at 80 in the rain. the wranglers also where good on dry rock and in mud but kill me everytime in the sand. if you do anything where its deep sand I would say the bfg's other than that i would go wranglers again.
I don't have much sand  , mostly rocks and mud . Are the wrnglers loud on th hiway ?
I drive about 30mi on dirt rocky road and about 30 mi on the hiway..
don whitman

kletzenklueffer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2009, 06:08:41 AM »
I know you're asking about Goodyear vs. BFG, but does noone run Dunlop Mud Rovers? I've had 4 sets and they all were great tires. worked well in the mud and on dirt hill climbs (not much rock around here) and lasted between 40-50,000 miles. Only thing I've seen is sometimes they needed more than average weight to balance them.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2009, 06:40:43 AM »
I've run BFG Muds, MTR's and Mud Rovers. I have also run all 3 on the trail. My experience with BFG's is they grip the rocks great and they last well on the road but have puny side walls. I :love: my MTR's - been running them the past 3 years and I plan on replacing them with MTR's if finances permit - they are a sticky tire and they're street friendly as well. The Dunlop Mud Rover caked up quickly in the mud, and cupped over time. Cheap, but I wouldn't recommend them over the MTR's or BFG Muds.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

whokrz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 246
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
    • gentryoffroad.com
« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2009, 11:50:50 PM »
I have run bfgs and mtrs. Off road they seemed to grab about the same. On the street the bfgs are loud were the mtrs are not. I currently have mtrs and will buy them again.
1990 4runner, 22re, R151, 4.7, 5.29s, E-locker front, Lock-Rite rear, 37" MTRs, 51" rears all around
Trail Reviews http://www.gentryoffroad.com
Toyota Factory Service Manuals http://ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

notyourmomslx450

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 200
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2009, 12:54:33 PM »
I haven't run BFGs, but I have plenty of wheeling buddies that run them.  I run MTRs in a 37" flavor on my rig (it's a DD, too), and I love them.  I think they could be a little stickier on the trails for my taste, but that would probably be at the expense of the streetability.  I've probably got close to 12k on mine right now and they still look almost brand new, other than some rock rash.  My buddies w/ BFGs also swear by them.  The KMs, not the KM2s.  From their experiences, the KM2s suck it on the street, as they wear out in no time.  The KMs wear about like MTRs on the street, and from what I've witnessed first hand, have similar manners on and off road.
-Jason

"Daily Destroyer"-'94 xtra cab, solid axle, longs super set, 5.29s, detroits, dual ultimate, 37" MTRs, bobbed 12", Gulf Coast Crawl Shop bumpers, custom dents :eek:
"The Anchor"-'97 LX450, OME J-springs & L-shocks, spring spacers, wheel spacers, 35" Super Swamper SSRs, ARB, rack, it's just getting started

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 10, 2009, 03:26:02 PM »
You said TA's, so I am guessing this is a rig that is going to see a lot more highway than trail? 

IME the BFG AT's are about the best tire for an all around use, 70-80k mile wear(providing you rotate/balance them often).  The BFG is a bit pricey for your wife's liking, you might look at the Procomp AT.  My sister got pretty god mileage out of hers before selling her Runner.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 10, 2009, 06:13:47 PM »
BFG MTs.  Love'm.  Had MTR's, they did ok, but I liked the BFGs a lot better.  To me they hooked up better on the rocks, in the snow, and did pretty well in the mud.  MTRs did ok in the rocks, wasn't happy at all with their mud preformance, and their snow preformances was ok.  I've never had a problem with the BFG sidewalls.  :dunno: 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

KingofChilli82

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 17, 2009, 12:13:29 PM »
HEY GUYS QUITE BE'IN WUSSIES AND PUT SOME BOGGERS ON IT!!!

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Jun 17, 2009, 12:15:14 PM »
HEY GUYS QUITE BE'IN WUSSIES AND PUT SOME BOGGERS ON IT!!!

Been there, done that. Not very street friendly that's for sure :gap:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #12 on: Jun 18, 2009, 10:03:15 AM »
bfg has weak sidewalls and procomp sucks, run whatever else
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #13 on: Jun 19, 2009, 07:38:51 PM »
BFG
The Krawlers and KM2 do not have weak side walls. In fact the KM2 are some of the best side walls on the market right now.
I have MTR's and love them but there side walls are way weaker than the KM2 and Krawler. I'ver personally sliced up two MTRs.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #14 on: Jun 19, 2009, 07:39:52 PM »
I do how ever totally agree with you on ProComp. Anything ProComp for that matter.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 19, 2009, 08:00:26 PM »
I know you're asking about Goodyear vs. BFG, but does noone run Dunlop Mud Rovers? I've had 4 sets and they all were great tires. worked well in the mud and on dirt hill climbs (not much rock around here) and lasted between 40-50,000 miles. Only thing I've seen is sometimes they needed more than average weight to balance them.

ive run them, wouldnt balance for beans, rode like butt, but lasted forever
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

GRM

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #16 on: Jun 19, 2009, 08:34:26 PM »
I'll go through my tire experiences, only including tires I have purchased new, not the numerous used tires I have had:

BFG Mud's circa 2001. 33x12.5x15's. Tires had decent traction, thinner side walls made for a smoother ride, but were weaker for the trail. When they hit 50k miles, the tread was so hard, they were downright scary on the highway. I ran the prototype KM2's, and really liked how much better they were, but have yet to drive the updated production tread design.

BFG All terrain KO's. 2006-2008. Sizes 265x75x16, 285x75x16, and 285x75x17. The 17's were a bit taller. After 40-45k miles, the tread became very hard, almost useless. When new, the traction was great in everything but mud. Loved the tires, and would buy another set in a heartbeat. Only killed 1 sidewall wheeling them every weekend.

Goodyear MTR. 2000. 35x12.5x15. Great traction throughout their tread life. The stiff sidewall caused a rougher ride, and also necessitated airing down to 7-9psi to perform similar to a BFG mud at 12-14. Loved the tires, although were baldly balanced from new (16 oz out per tire). Ran the tires until 2009, when bald, after being on 2 vehicles. Would buy again any day.

Pro Comp Xterrain. 2002. 35x12.5x15. Great on highway traction. Good road ride. Would not hook up worth a damn on the rocks, especially wet rocks. The thick tread did not want to conform. After 2 months of ownership, I sold the tires.

Dunlop Rover AT. 2004 and 2005. 33x12.5x15. OK highway traction. Sliced a sidewall open on a curb in front of my house. Lasted 25k miles till bald. Would never buy again.

Bridgestone AT REVO 265x70x16. 2007. Good highway traction. Wearing much faster than expected. Should have put on BFG all terrains.

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ. 2008. 35x12.5x15. Great highway traction. Great traction on the trail. Better than MTR. Sidewall is thinner, but holding up so far. About 3k miles on them at this point, with one trip through the rubicon. Unbalanced, they ride smoother than the MTR's balances. So far, very impressed by their performance.

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #17 on: Jun 19, 2009, 10:11:29 PM »
on pirate4x4 alot of people have issues with the bfg sidewalls
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 21, 2009, 10:32:24 AM »
I went with the BFG MTs again because they are inexpensive and work.  But I'm in So. Cal.  I'd call BFG's tire compounds more of a "desert terrain" type than actual slop and mud and so on.  Perfect for trails and rocks and dust and so on(think Rubicon here) as opposed to a place like Flat Nasty.   BFG and Goodyear MTs, though, are pretty "1980s" tire when it comes to rain and slippery stuff, due to no real siping.

IMO, though, the best daily driver and off-road compromise right now are the Interco radials and the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ.  Bit pricey though...