Author Topic: Horse folks... My horse is sick :(  (Read 4911 times)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Horse folks... My horse is sick :(
« on: Sep 17, 2008, 09:18:52 PM »
I've had my mare for 15 years. The only reason I've ever had to have the vet out for her was to get her teeth floated once. Other than that she's been very healthy.

Last Friday (when my mom and I were at the roundup :doh: ) she developed colic. My stepdad, who isn't a horse person, noticed that she was acting funny and called my uncle (who is a horse person), who in turn called the vet. My family came through for me and pulled her through the night, and we thought she recovered.

Well today, 5 days later, she's got colic again. My mom has called the vet out yet again, but I'm concerned. WHY would she colic twice????

We had her in the pasture where she was eating off the ground, and on Saturday my stepdad built a corral for her on the cement so that she wouldn't be eating off the dirt. Now, even though she's been using a feeder and hasn't had access to any excess of food or dirt, she's goin down again.

She is 21 years old, and maintains a very healthy weight.

Mom had the vet out again tonight and realized that the medecine that the vet was giving her was too strong for her damaged insides, and that contributed to her going down again tonight.  Also, we're putting her on a strict diet for the next few weeks. 

Mom says if she colics again we're going to have to let her go :rivers: :rivers:

Please keep her in your prayers.  Some people will say it's silly, asking for prayers for a horse.  But she's been my baby since I was 8 years old.  She and I have a lot of history together, and I know that there's going to be a time when I have to let her go, but she's still not 'old' for a horse. 

Thanks for those of you who understand.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Horse folks... My horse is sick :(
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2008, 09:21:53 PM »
awww.... poor j!

HUG! for you and the horse!!!!! you know you are all in my prayers......
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2008, 09:37:31 PM »
:rivers:

Thats rough Justina.  I don't know anything about horses, but it always hurts to see family members suffering, be they 2 or 4 legged.  :down: 

:therethere: you know I've got you covered.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2008, 09:39:22 PM »
Not being religious and feeling like the majority of crap people pray for/ask others to pray for isn't worthy, I think this beats out the majority of other requests justina  :therethere:  I feel prayer should be researved for those in dire need, and it sounds like that's where your horse is now!

Good luck to the horse. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2008, 12:07:54 AM »
I dunno much about horses or even about the splainin you gave about yer horse but I can tell it's not good.  :down:  :therethere: Hope yer horsey is feeling better soon.  :angel:  Hopefully he'll be good as new... :horseride:  :crossed:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2008, 08:39:55 AM »
Thanks guys.  Mom said she made it through the night.  Now it's a matter of getting her to pass whatever's messing her up.  :crossed:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Richmondo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2008, 10:39:25 AM »
Damn that sucks, I hope she get's better. What exactly is colic?
It was just crazy to see this deer leap all suicidal style off this embankment right in front of us.

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2008, 10:45:25 AM »
Damn that sucks, I hope she get's better. What exactly is colic?

Basically, she's constipated.  The way her insides fight it, the intestines and stomach try to turn inside out - which in the end kills unless it's treated correctly.  So far we've been able to fight it correctly.  The key is not feeding her until she passes whatever it is inside her, and keeping her walking and drinking water/oil.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2008, 04:48:18 PM »
that sucks. my co worker has a horse that has the same thing. it is also its second time in a few weeks.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2008, 06:11:55 PM »
Mom was able to feed her about 3 bites this afternoon... that's good news! She's soooo hungry :down: poor girl. 

RTA

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 423
  • Member since May '06
  • XX-CAB
    • View Profile
    • Brawler site
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2008, 07:28:31 PM »
Had a few of them. (horses that is)  Only had it happen to one once, tough stuff.   Sorry to here.  Hope for the best! :crossed:
So. Cal. ROCK BRAWLERS

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #11 on: Sep 19, 2008, 04:25:29 PM »
Our thoughts are with you. Colic is tough.........................so are horses.
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #12 on: Sep 19, 2008, 08:17:50 PM »
I waited as long as I could to call mom today... and found out that my baby made it.  Mom's watching her like a hawk, and she's pretty confident that she'll pull through.  Now, it's a matter of keeping it away.

Now that she's colicked twice in a week, we've confirmed the importance of having a barn.  So the ranch is getting a new barn :woohoo: At least one thing good came out of all this!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 19, 2008, 10:30:32 PM »
So the ranch is getting a new barn :woohoo: At least one thing good came out of all this!

:woohoo:  I do feel that if you have even one horse you need even a small barn! 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 19, 2008, 10:34:19 PM »
Also, with the degredation of my joints I've realized that the only way I may be able to continue my treks into the trinity alps may be on horseback.  I'm not really a horse person, but there is enough room on our property to keep a horse, though I'm not sure if the landlord would approve since he wouldn't let me have banty chickens  :dunno:  It'd also make it a huge pita if I had to move, and the only person I know who has the room or time for horses is dug in below the bottom of my :pokinit: list.
RIP KYOTA

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 19, 2008, 10:36:11 PM »
glad to hear your horse is ok J!!!!!!!!

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #16 on: Sep 19, 2008, 11:08:33 PM »
:woohoo:  I do feel that if you have even one horse you need even a small barn! 

My horse is a Mustang... I got her from the BLM up in Susanville when she was 6.  Even to this day I can't get her to go into a barn willingly.  If it's snowing/raining outside, I can force her to go inside but she'll still go outside on her own.  The reason for the barn is so they don't eat off the ground anymore.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 20, 2008, 12:02:11 AM »
Ah, I see.  It does always kinda make me chuckle when it's raining and you see a horse standing OUTSIDE the barn  :haha:
RIP KYOTA

RTA

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 423
  • Member since May '06
  • XX-CAB
    • View Profile
    • Brawler site
« Reply #18 on: Sep 20, 2008, 06:53:09 AM »
Good to hear!  :yesnod:
So. Cal. ROCK BRAWLERS

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #19 on: Sep 21, 2008, 09:09:39 PM »
I went and saw her today :woohoo:

She actually looks better than she's looked in years, most likely because she's in her own stall by the house and someone is always out there brushing her or pampering her.  She's feeling a lot better, and Sierra even got to ride her for a few minutes - bareback of course.  I didn't want to cinch a saddle down on her tummy yet.

:woohoo: :woohoo:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 22, 2008, 12:10:16 AM »
That is good news!  :thumbs:  Glad to hear yer horsey is doing better.  :yesnod:  Hopefully she won't get  :sick: anymore anytime soon.  :crossed:

82fb

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 24, 2008, 11:40:28 PM »
Hi Justina, good to see you at mcr.  Wow, sure was a pleasant surprise!  I still don't know how you recognized me going incognito with a hat, sunglasses, and unshaven, and driving by at 20mph.  My ancient Iriqouis heritage is letting me down, kinda like the "chief" in the movie Josey Wales.

Prayers for the continued health of your mare...

Mark Lockwood

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #22 on: Sep 25, 2008, 09:41:53 AM »
Hi Justina, good to see you at mcr.  Wow, sure was a pleasant surprise!  I still don't know how you recognized me going incognito with a hat, sunglasses, and unshaven, and driving by at 20mph.  My ancient Iriqouis heritage is letting me down, kinda like the "chief" in the movie Josey Wales.

Prayers for the continued health of your mare...

Mark Lockwood

:woohoo: I was wondering when you'd get on here! :welcome: It was GREAT seeing you on the trail!! Totally funny is I saw Chip on the same trail a few years back - just out of nowhere :yupyup:

Hope to see you around on here.  I'll let you know when we're heading out to Dusy.. hopefully sometime within the next 6 months or so (yeah, plannin ahead :rofl: )