Author Topic: Beat to death, but SAS?  (Read 13775 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Beat to death, but SAS?
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2005, 10:58:16 AM »
cool :thumbs:

what I was looking to hear.  going to bigger M/C, do I have to get complete new lines?  I'm not big into brake work, so I dont know much about it.  I just change them, thats about it so far.

anything else you guys have would be awesome.  If the fullwidth 60s arent too much harder to do than a toyota swap, then I'll probably lean toward going that way :yupyup:

just a guess, but my mpg is gonna go out the window huh?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 11:07:30 AM by BLACKDOG »
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2005, 11:24:43 AM »
for the M/C side  you will have to reflare  the lines to run a 3/16ths nut  which aint no thang really.  for the axle side you can get some braided SS brakelines made fairly inexpensively  from a speed/race shop  in whatever length you want ( buddy of mine has 40" long SS braided lines !!!)   really the only thing thats truely  extra  to doin a fullwidth conversion is a flattop knuckle if you ever swap in a 44  but if you go 60's you dont have to worry about that.  I dont know of any premade steering kits for a fullwidth conversion on a toyota since it varries so much  truck to truck.  but steering is easy to build..   if you have any questions feel free to ask 
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2005, 11:34:05 AM »
I just noticed that you were in Oroville, mabye over the summer, once I get my parts togehter you can come give me a hand, and some advice while I'm at it?  I'll buy the pizza and beer :yupyup: 
kind of a sidenote, but my a lot of my g/f family lives in Oroville.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2005, 11:35:01 AM »
Yeah i didnt mean to hit a soft spot with the D44 guys. I have just seen many more D44's fail than yota axles. And this was on Jeeps, with much more torque than a yota can put out, unless your running duals. Also, us die hard yota guys are a little more biased toward yota parts etc.... In all actuality ANYTHING can break, couple weekends ago I saw a Dynatrac Dana60 break its ring and pinion towing a samurai! Run what you have and have fun with it.   :beerchug:

the medeocre guy  
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2005, 11:42:25 AM »
lkinda what I am figuring.  And in my $$ situation, I'm thinking the stronger stock the better, because I cant buy preformance parts right now on my budget

-Ronald Reagan

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2005, 11:44:03 AM »
I just noticed that you were in Oroville, mabye over the summer, once I get my parts togehter you can come give me a hand, and some advice while I'm at it? I'll buy the pizza and beer :yupyup:
kind of a sidenote, but my a lot of my g/f family lives in Oroville.

Sure thing iffin im not  super busy or anything
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2005, 11:49:32 AM »
yeah, hopin I wont be to busy either.

that'd be cool, but dont worry, I'll be hittin you up for advice for sure :yesnod:

what are you talkin about, flat top knuckle for a 44?

-Ronald Reagan

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2005, 01:58:04 PM »
If you plan on putting a dana 60 in the front you should start searching now.  they are really expensive.  As in over $1000 for a good working axle.

1tonCroozer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 111
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Doin' time
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2005, 06:50:14 AM »
No soft spot at all with me. I know what I put in and wouldn't change it either.

Stock for stock...a D44 does beat out a stock birfield in strength. You can read the other positives for using Dana stuff to in my last few posts. If you have seen more broken D44's than Toy's.....and more than likely if it's a Jeep it's a D30. Old school CJ's had really weak parts and the newer YJ's, XJ's and TJ's have D44 u-joints, but the inners are still smaller and so are the outters. (This why they are D30's) So I don't think your seeing alot of busted D44's under heaps.

D60's are $$$, but when your talking money, in the end it costs about the same to build a Toy, D44 or D60. The stock D60 is the strongest stock and you'd have to dump about a grand into a Toy axle just to hit the stock D60 strength...and where do you go then?

Using Toy only parts? Well, if that is what your after! Sounds like Landcruiser guys though. They are hardcore Toyota freaks until the breakage gets old. In steps Dana.  :love:

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2005, 01:08:09 PM »
Well thanks for just making my point with the soft spot. I was going to give you a drawn out explaination about how I have seen D44's fail but Im sure your just going to say Im wrong anyway....    :shake_head:
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

hudlenutz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Male Posts: 220
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
    • My Page
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2005, 05:20:42 PM »
I have to throw this in because of the Dana/keep-it-Toyota discussion.  I mentioned this over on the drivetrain page, but here it is again. 

How about using an 80 series Landcruiser axle?  The birf on a cruizer axle is one inch larger in diameter than one the trucks/runners.  It's like a one ton Toyota axle.  I searched some of the yard pages, and you can get entire assemblies for~$850ish.  It seems pricey, but the 80 axle is already high pinion and had the optional electric locker (already cheaper than upgrading a mini axle).  I think it's full width too, at 4 inches wider than the ifs.

Good luck either way.  I know people have had all kinds of luck with all sorts of different axles (unimog reduction hubs???).

:beer:

1tonCroozer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 111
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Doin' time
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2005, 04:14:00 AM »
Your right, I will.  :biggthumpup: