Author Topic: Fixing a cracked block?  (Read 2165 times)

Ghettofab88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
Fixing a cracked block?
« on: May 13, 2009, 09:02:21 AM »
Anyone have a crack in there engine block and actually fix it without replacing the engine?  I've got a small crack on the middle drivers side of my 22RE engine block.  Its been there for 8yrs or so now and as long as I keep some stop leak in the coolant it only ever seeps on occasion.  However I know that over time it can only get worse and in a couple weeks I'm going on a long road trip to colorado and back with the girlfriend.  My worry is that the seep will turn into a drip and then......

I talked with my old boss a long time ago and he suggested I use a technique called "pinning".  You find the ends of the crack, drill a hole, tap it for a pipe thread plug, grind head of plug flush with block and repeat, slowly working your way to the center of the crack.  Seems like it would work and It'd probably only take a few 1/8" pipe plugs to fix my crack.  However, I'm leery of drilling into my engine block and creating more issues right before a big trip.  Anyone ever done this?

Any other ways to fix a crack in an engine block?  I know enough to not even try welding it and no, JB weld doesn't seem to work.

Thanks,
Kevo

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Fixing a cracked block?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 09:16:55 AM »
drilling and plugging sounds like a interesting option but i have no experience with that

i have had decent results with JBweld, have you tried it??   the surface must be VERY clean
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:21:35 AM »
Drilling holes at each end would stop it from growing any further, I've never tried that on a block though. It is usually done on sheet metal like body parts that have been flexed out to the point they start to crack. If it hasn't given you much trouble I'd wait till after my trip. JB weld it for now like Glenn said.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 08:59:49 PM »
I've read about metal stitching or metal locking.  It's a process of hammering in copper/zinc/? into the cracks to seal the crack, due to the difficulty in welding cast iron.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

drayday55

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 11:07:01 PM »
i watched my friend a machinest here in san diego do this to a cast iron chevy cylinder head. go to a machine shop
they have specific drill sizes and plugs just like a helicoil. i would do this and then take it to a welder and have em torch (heat) the block and weld it   only way to weld cast iron.