Author Topic: turn check engine light off??  (Read 5790 times)

4x4Haze

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Male Posts: 337
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
turn check engine light off??
« on: Feb 03, 2009, 01:34:23 PM »
i recently rebuilt my 3.0 and it keeps throwing out various codes but after i fix them it dosent turn off, can i reset it or turn it off??
A jumper cable walks into a bar. The bartender says, "I'll serve you, but dont start anything."

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: turn check engine light off??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2009, 01:40:20 PM »
disconnect the negative battery cable, put key in ignition and hold in start position for 20 seconds, remove key, wait 30 minutes, then reconnect negative battery terminal

should have all the codes cleared out....

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

4x4Haze [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2009, 04:48:22 PM »
thanks! it worked
A jumper cable walks into a bar. The bartender says, "I'll serve you, but dont start anything."

Homefries

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 241
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2009, 10:26:45 PM »
Or turn the ignition off and take out the EFI fuse under the dash and wait 30 sec.  Disconnecting the battery cables is not necessary and is not recommended.

80_yota_pickup

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 86
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2009, 01:05:48 AM »
if you have an autozone near your location they will clear the code out for free.

cause if you disconnect the battery sometimes it will throw the same codes over again cause it completely resets the comp.
SAY i WON't... AND i WILL

80 pickup SB with 87 4runner SR5 interior,22re swap, welded F&R, 5" allpro springs, ultimate duals, 36" iroks, DIY beadlocks,SB bobbed 16",

coming next: full cage, longfields, and 5.29's

4x4Haze [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2009, 10:11:08 PM »
well my light came on again after about 100 miles or so, i gotta check it out again. but the first time it was sayin i had a bad cylinder but i just had the thing rebuilt and it runs better than ever

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2009, 10:14:32 PM »
autozones in CA will not check your codes for free, nor do any of the auto parts stores rent out or loan their scanners anymore.....

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2009, 12:40:24 AM »
put a sticker over it! best way to get rid of a check engine light haha
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

80_yota_pickup

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 86
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2009, 01:02:00 AM »
put a sticker over it! best way to get rid of a check engine light haha
i agree all the way or just cut the check engine light wire and call it a day!

that sucks about the scanner up here in oregon they will just run out and do it for you.
SAY i WON't... AND i WILL

80 pickup SB with 87 4runner SR5 interior,22re swap, welded F&R, 5" allpro springs, ultimate duals, 36" iroks, DIY beadlocks,SB bobbed 16",

coming next: full cage, longfields, and 5.29's

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2009, 01:37:52 AM »
as far as cutting the wire, they check for that too when they test it.... it the light doesnt come on in the start position then go out, they assume tampering and fail it....

you could rig up something on its own circuit to time delay it maybe only once as soon as its started.... but......

usually it's better just to fix it, instead of mask the problem

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2009, 11:38:43 AM »
autozones in CA will not check your codes for free, nor do any of the auto parts stores rent out or loan their scanners anymore.....

:dunno:  I'd check anyway.  They do in Vacaville and Sacramento.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Loosekannon

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 1,301
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SoCal--ROCKBRAWLERS--
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2009, 07:56:03 PM »
well my light came on again after about 100 miles or so, i gotta check it out again. but the first time it was sayin i had a bad cylinder but i just had the thing rebuilt and it runs better than ever
So did you find out the code and get it fixed??

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2009, 08:07:45 PM »
:dunno:  I'd check anyway.  They do in Vacaville and Sacramento.

According to Autozone's company policy they do not... any more.... they got sued for it, and now are not allowed to do it anymore....

kragens also will not loan or scan tools out in CA or HI http://shop.oreillyauto.com//Help/InStoreServices.aspx

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2009, 11:58:07 AM »
According to Autozone's company policy they do not... any more.... they got sued for it, and now are not allowed to do it anymore....

kragens also will not loan or scan tools out in CA or HI http://shop.oreillyauto.com//Help/InStoreServices.aspx

Thats nice and all, but I had a code run on my ford not more than 2 weeks ago in vacaville.  Used to have them run all the time in Sacramento, but that was a while ago.  I'm not saying whether they do or not, but its always worth checking.  The worse they can do is say no.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Homefries

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 241
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2009, 01:37:03 PM »
Thats nice and all, but I had a code run on my ford not more than 2 weeks ago in vacaville.  Used to have them run all the time in Sacramento, but that was a while ago.  I'm not saying whether they do or not, but its always worth checking.  The worse they can do is say no.

I went the other day to Auto Zone here in OR and they said they still do the scanning but not on my '88.  Too old!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2009, 01:40:13 PM »
I went the other day to Auto Zone here in OR and they said they still do the scanning but not on my '88.  Too old!

they probably only do OBDII.  Its easy to get the codes from an '88 though.  All you have to do is run a jumper wire (paperclip) between two of the holes in the diagnostic port, and then turn the truck on, and count the flash sequence.  Compare it to the code chart, and you can figure it out.

-Ronald Reagan

4x4Haze [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2009, 11:57:49 AM »
ok so i checked it again and i got code 71 which i believe is EGR system malfunction, but last week it said bad valve, and a few months before it said 02 sensor. i just dont know which to believe

STTRUE16

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 10
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2009, 07:19:53 PM »
some of the Kragens/O'Rileys will do it you just have to go in  and talk to them and as far as it throwing out random codes check for a short sometimes they do throw random codes when you have a short in the system

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:02:40 PM »
ok so i checked it again and i got code 71 which i believe is EGR system malfunction, but last week it said bad valve, and a few months before it said 02 sensor. i just dont know which to believe

Well, I would probably eliminate the O2 sensor for the time being, simply because of the time frame.  What valve are we talking about?  what code was it?  I can't think of any codes that say you have a bad valve.   You may have a short, or you may have multiple problems.  Are you sure you're reading the flashes right?

-Ronald Reagan

BAMF

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 40
  • Male Posts: 179
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2009, 02:39:12 PM »
Pepboys in Vallejo will check you codes but they charge a small fee.  They wanted me to wait in line for 45 mins behind all the other people who were there getting their brakes done and radiators done.  I'm not saying I should be allowed to cut in line but come on, it'll only take 2 mins to read a code.  So I left and bought a code reader at Autozone (who won't check codes).  So anyone in Vallejo, I'll read your code for free. :thumbs:
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2009, 03:49:57 PM »
i bought a cheapy code reader off of ebay for $35 shipped

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
as far as cutting the wire, they check for that too when they test it.... it the light doesnt come on in the start position then go out, they assume tampering and fail it....

you could rig up something on its own circuit to time delay it maybe only once as soon as its started.... but......

usually it's better just to fix it, instead of mask the problem

i found what i was talking about

http://www.auto-facts.org/disconnecting-check-engine-lights.html

~ John F. Kennedy ~

4x4Haze [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2009, 10:38:35 AM »
Well, I would probably eliminate the O2 sensor for the time being, simply because of the time frame.  What valve are we talking about?  what code was it?  I can't think of any codes that say you have a bad valve.   You may have a short, or you may have multiple problems.  Are you sure you're reading the flashes right?

yeah it flashed 7 times then one time, then the longer pause and did the same code, and i looked the codes up online, not sure it was a reliable source, but i dont know where to get the correct info, maby i can check my chiltons manual but i dont remember seeing it in there, and a short is definately a possibility ive been so busy with work and school i havent really got to tear into it