Author Topic: So....I just bought some 38.5's for my rig....  (Read 3070 times)

caliyota420

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -32
  • Male Posts: 122
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
So....I just bought some 38.5's for my rig....
« on: Jan 30, 2009, 02:35:11 PM »
.... and Im gonna need some more cutoff wheels for the sheetmetal :gap: :gap: :gap:

whokrz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 246
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
    • gentryoffroad.com
Re: So....I just bought some 38.5's for my rig....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2009, 04:51:08 PM »
nice looking rig  :thumbs:
1990 4runner, 22re, R151, 4.7, 5.29s, E-locker front, Lock-Rite rear, 37" MTRs, 51" rears all around
Trail Reviews http://www.gentryoffroad.com
Toyota Factory Service Manuals http://ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2009, 05:39:10 PM »
nice custom sheet metal work.  are u gonna tub the cab or move the front axle forward more?

caliyota420 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2009, 12:18:06 PM »
Front still clears the firewall its already 3.5" foward from stock enough where the steering box is coming thru the radiator support and re sheetmetaled in so that the tie rod and drag link dont ever come in contact with eachother I'll post a pic of that soon, If I do hit at full stuff full turn I am going to cut into the firewall instead of moving the axle some more, but I put a tire on my retaining wall at home at full turn and still had plenty of room and it only had another inch or two of upflex...The rear needs most of the cutting Im going to cut it to match the front (height measured from body line) and instead of inboarding my rear springs Im going to narrow the frame rails in the back so it will move the springs were I want them and I dont have to worry about the tires rubbing the frame. Even with 2.5" backspace rims I think Im still gonna rub the frame with those 38.5/16/15's

caliyota420 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2009, 01:25:49 PM »
nice custom sheet metal work.  are u gonna tub the cab or move the front axle forward more?
Yeah the driver side took a good hit...lol I drove out of it though good times, believe it or not there wasnt so much as a scratch on this truck when I got it, she was a 150k never used 4x4 one owner old man stocker with a blown motor I got for stupid cheap. My buddies made fun of me asking if I was building a truck for the autorama show... showed them though not even 2 days after completion I put her on the passanger side.... screw it I didnt build it to look at it

caliyota420 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2009, 07:37:37 AM »
ARP Studs for the Knuckles and Hubs, 30 Spline Longs, 5.29's Welded Rear Lock-Right Front, and Marlins Inner Seals and I can now drive the thing!!!!!!!!!! All kinds of work, damn bigger tires :beer: :beer:

thegoofster21

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,644
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2009, 09:35:35 AM »
sweet
Any guy who takes his woman wheeling enjoys her. A woman who is owned is left at home to cook, clean, and keep beer cold. So if this offends you you should stop looking and go have some tacos.    :rofl2: And a beer. If your old enough.   :beerchug:   :beer:

04 Tacoma 33s http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61454.0
jmoffroad.com

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2009, 09:44:23 AM »
I need those tires!!!!!!
You'll never take me alive

rockcrawlinredneck

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jul '06
  • 1st Gen's rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2009, 05:00:18 PM »
Just for the record, they never hit my frame in the back when they were on my rig. I have chevys bump stopped at flat. My front axle is pushed forward 4.5" or 5" (I cant remember) and the cab is tubbed all the way back to the body mount. I hit the cab at "super hard stuffed" with the wheel turned and even cought the hydro line coming off the steering box when the front was stuffed and turned right in little sluice!

rockcrawlinredneck

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '06
  • 1st Gen's rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2009, 05:02:57 PM »
This is when the tire grabbed the hydro line. :)

caliyota420 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Did you run your hydro line off the side or on the D of TOYODA in the front of the box???? Im gonna drill my box soon so I was wondering... I think they may rub the firewall just barely but I havent even cut or folded over the seem yet so I have 3/4 inch to get outta that before cutting into the firewall, like I said when I put it on the retaining wall (which is nothing maybe 2 1/2 feet) it still turned lock to lock with no rubbage and only an inch or so to go up, Im more concerned with building a new bumper for the front and making it not hit and still keeping my markers and have side protection for them....Im thinking this is gonna be impossible I may just put a side marker scewed to the fender (similar to first gen truck) and do away with the front markers and straight cut the fenders!!!!!!! That'll give me the room I need for the front. The rear I decided to not narrow the frame for now Im gonna buggy leaf it with a traction bar until I get some money together for coil-overs. When I flexed out the rear it didnt hit the frame it was close but didnt hit and Im not running bumpstops yet thats one of the items on the to do list.... with bumpstops I think now matter how far the other tire drops I should be good

caliyota420 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
By the way I dig the soft camper Ive always wanted one did you make it????

rockcrawlinredneck

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '06
  • 1st Gen's rule
    • View Profile
I tapped mine off of the side, I did not have room on the front. As far as the camper, yea I made it.;)