Poll

WHich would you buy if you were me?

All Terrains
10 (55.6%)
Mud Terrains
8 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: BFG AT vs. MT, Bought MTRs w/Kevlar instead...  (Read 11867 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
BFG AT vs. MT, Bought MTRs w/Kevlar instead...
« on: Sep 11, 2012, 12:04:39 AM »
OK so my crummy old pro comp mud terrains I bought years ago are finally bald and it's time to buy tires.  We have a local BFG dealer who is very reasonably priced so I have it narrowed down to two options for this next purchase, the venerable BFG All Terrain or the new KM2 Mud Terrain.  I will be running a 35x12.50 15. 

The 4Runner is mainly used for alot of highway and gravel road miles while daily driving for rural work trips and is used for everything from overland camping type trips with lots of unimproved middle of nowhere roads with coarse marbley gravel, mud, dirt, cactus and rocks to more typical hard core trails with rocks, wet logs and mud and the occasional rock crawl style 4x4 competition.

I live in North Central Montana where the single biggest challenge we have is winter snow wheeling.

Also in this region there is great distances between everything.  My work related trips will be 300+ miles a day easy. Because of where we live I will drive 100 miles round trip just to go grocery shopping and run a few errands. I should use the car for this but the 4Runner is just to danged fun and gets up to 24 mpg so I can't resist.

Based on the above the biggest things are alot of miles and alot of snow, which has all terrain writen all over it, however, I have almost always ran light mud terrains, probably because I am originally from the coast range in Oregon where there is actually mud and also because of the general perception that All Terrains will let me down in the mud, while I usually think to myself that MTs will work OK in all conditions.  I also just saw a set of 35" KM2s on an early bronco and they look just amazing which has me kind of messed up in the head.

I tend to have a set of bias swampers around to supplement whatever I have for normal duty with some animal traction but with money being tight I will probably only have one set of tires for a while.

So if you were me, im my region with this driving and you were going to run just one tire for a while, which would you choose?

Will the ATs let me down on the occasional muddy foray? Will I be kicking myself when the MTs are all worn out after 30K? Would the ATs be vastly superior for snow wheeling?  Every time I see a big set of KM2s will I be sad because they look beastlier than the ATs? These are serious life questions here...

:beer: :beer: :beer:
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2012, 02:48:40 PM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: BFG All Terrains vs. BFG Mud Terrains
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2012, 01:17:18 PM »
I love the old style of BFG Mud Terrains.  And I love the new style.  I wouldn't hesitate on buying the new tread design.  Everybody I know that have them love them as much as the older style. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

DCabTaco

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 49
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2012, 03:38:05 PM »
The only thing I have to add here is the AT's are a lot quieter, but the MT's perform better off road. 

FYI, AT's appear to be on back order and have been for a while now.  Unless your supplier has them in stock, you might be waiting a while for those.
04 SCed DCab Taco
85 4runner
97 Civic (DD)

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2012, 03:59:49 PM »
The only thing I have to add here is the AT's are a lot quieter, but the MT's perform better off road. 

FYI, AT's appear to be on back order and have been for a while now.  Unless your supplier has them in stock, you might be waiting a while for those.

That might make my decision for me...

– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

madhunt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 490
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2012, 11:14:14 AM »
take a look at the ss truxxus mt's work good in the snow and mud better than the bfg at
HIGH AND TIGHT OFFROAD

Cheesemaker

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2012, 11:29:45 AM »
I think the BFG will out last the Trxus M/T.  My tire selection for my truck would be either the New Goodyear MT/R, or the BFG KM2's.  And in my experience, A/T tires just don't hold up over time on gravel.  They just chip up and wear faster.  If you are on gravel and pavement as you posted in your first post, I'd go KM2's. 

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2012, 12:15:10 PM »
Yeah I'd say 50% loose gravel farm roads.
– Steve McQueen

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2012, 05:43:11 PM »

What sizes?  I know a couple sizes of commercial ta are on backorder due to a recall, but haven't heard of any others yet.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2012, 07:13:47 PM »
I'd run AT just for the amount of miles you drive. The km2s suck on hard pack snow or ice, siping would help some. That being said I don't think the AT would let you down, they have tons of siping and are a great tread design. Km2s are better for deeper mud though. Also depending on how much rock crawling you do the sidewall of the AT might be to weak. It's definitely a toss up between the 2. Either way they're a compromise.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2012, 07:55:33 PM »
Both a 3 ply sidewall  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2012, 08:26:34 PM »
Different kind of sidewall? I've seen AT rip really easily. I put my old km2s from hell and they never failed me.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2012, 10:21:30 PM »
I will try to look into it, but bfg has placed a lot of their selling point on their 3 ply sidewall, as well as having an often ridiculously long wearing at.
RIP KYOTA

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 14, 2012, 09:52:58 AM »
I would be real interested to know if there was in fact any difference in construction between the two or if it's just more rubber on the sidewalls of the KM2s.

A buddy is trying to talk me into the goodyear MTRs too, and I'm not opposed to that either if the price is right.
– Steve McQueen

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 14, 2012, 12:10:01 PM »
I have lived in Montana, Oregon and Hawaii.  That is a hard pick.  ATs get my vote for everything but the mud.  Depending how bad the mud is though, even the KM2 will pack up.  Hawaii mud and some in Oregon, requires  Boggers plain and simple.

The one thing I dislike about the KM2s is that seem to wear fast and they chunk.  If we had rockier terrain here I would be scared they wouldn't last.

That said I have a set of each KM2s and the AT.  Most of the time I run the AT.

Edit:  I would try the MTRs
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2012, 12:28:12 PM »
If you're not opposed to other tires look at the cooper discovery stt. Great tire, both my da and me run them and have nothing but good things to say about them. The tread is soft but not so soft that yet chunk out. They're also way better in snow then my old km2s ever hoped to be.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 14, 2012, 01:43:43 PM »
I have considered the STTs as we have a dealer here and I've seen them work well in all conditions but the guys down there are trying to get me to buy  16s or 17s because they have a "hard time getting in the 35" STTs for a 15" wheel". I think they just don't like to special order anything but either way they have lost the sale with their crummy attitude. I think they just want to sell to the kids with big diesels so that's all they keep around.
– Steve McQueen

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #16 on: Sep 14, 2012, 03:02:33 PM »
Yeah, we got our 35x12.50x15 no problem through a local dealer.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 14, 2012, 06:36:55 PM »
My buddy found a place with the MTRs that will have an $80 a tire goodyear rebate in a couple weeks. I might look into that if it's true.
– Steve McQueen

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #18 on: Sep 14, 2012, 06:43:13 PM »
Mud Terrains are great but they wear quickly and tho not real noisy are quite a be louder than the All Terrains. The only time I noted a difference was in snow packed trails where the muddy's performed much better.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #19 on: Sep 14, 2012, 07:09:32 PM »
My buddy found a place with the MTRs that will have an $80 a tire goodyear rebate in a couple weeks. I might look into that if it's true.

$80 a tire?

Usually it's for a set of four............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 14, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »
X2!  People frequently think the rebates are per tire and are irritated when they find out it's a total rebate after buying all 4, and it's a mail in rebate that takes weeks to get. 
RIP KYOTA

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #21 on: Sep 14, 2012, 08:15:39 PM »
X2!  People frequently think the rebates are per tire and are irritated when they find out it's a total rebate after buying all 4, and it's a mail in rebate that takes months to get. 

Fixed it for you

The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 15, 2012, 12:56:49 PM »
Well it probably is $80 for a set then, it was second hand information from a buddy...
– Steve McQueen

Toy-Cra-Ze

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 15, 2012, 03:24:09 PM »
What about the goodyear duratracs you would have to get 16" rims to get a 35" tire but i know guys are getting 60,000-70,000 and everyone i talk to that has them and from what i have read they are excellent in the snow and on icy roads. The 35" would be a 315/75/16

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 15, 2012, 06:20:12 PM »
:yesnod: lots of people LOVE them in the snow!  Mileage is kinda mixed, though.  Some dudes say they wear out super fast and some say they last quite a while.  Starting to get more people saying they're lasting longer, though, so I wonder if they changed something in their compounds  :dunno:

Fixed it for you

Depends on who you go through I guess.  People also like to sit on their paperwork for weeks and forget to relay that part when they pregnant dog cause they didn't get their rebate when they were told they would. 
RIP KYOTA

Cheesemaker

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 16, 2012, 07:34:19 AM »
All my buddies are getting Duratracs for their full size rigs.  Because everybody is getting killer mileage and they rock in the winter time.   And they are good blend of M/T and A/T. 

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sep 16, 2012, 07:57:29 AM »
I do like the duratrac but I am not up for buying 16s this year.  I can barely swing the tires. I also have a garage full of 15" wheels and I am still old school enough to preffer more sidewall...
– Steve McQueen

knucklebuster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Sep 16, 2012, 01:30:32 PM »
for what you described, I would get all terrains.
long lasting, good on dirt and snow, but don't even look at mud or you'll get stuck..

I have seen a few friends do some pretty amazing things wearing those shoes.
I have also had to pull'em off a muddy hill, drag'em out of 3 ft of snow, and extract myself in pouring rain because of a/t tires.

The last one is the reason I only get big open knobbed tires now, (that and they just look like they belong on my truck) it only took getting stuck one time for me to ditch the a/t tires for good.

I have Goodyear Wrangler Authority A/T Tires on my f350 diesel http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/11983161/goodyear-wrangler-authority-tire-lt265-75r16-reviews/reviews.htm and they do great in mud, snow, hills, and rocks but it is a full size HEAVY truck..

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sep 16, 2012, 11:10:46 PM »
Ah yes, the walmart only alternative to the dura-trac  ;)
RIP KYOTA

cencalwheeler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sep 16, 2012, 11:26:25 PM »
I say go with the A/T's. The M/T's will most likely wear quicker with a lot of road road driving and at best be
very loud and annoying. Both are awesome tires, they just need to be used in the right way. To answer the question about sidewall differences, The M/T has  sidewall almost identical to the Krawler T/A, so it is more durable. Hope that helps.  :twocents:
87 money pit....