Author Topic: Favorite Sockets  (Read 5286 times)

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Sockets
« Reply #30 on: Jan 04, 2009, 08:34:16 PM »
So are you guys saying that Craftsman skip a lot? How much compared to Husky? I had Husky and they skipped once in a while but not enough for me to even think there was a problem. Lasted 4 years until they were stolen.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 04, 2009, 08:44:37 PM »
My craftsman only skipped because they needed a little oil!  I was actually headed to the store (2 hours away) when I decided at the last minute to tear them apart.  FYI, don't take the ball bearing out, cause it's a little, no a big pregnant dog, to get that ball bearing down inside while you try to get the internals in past it.  After I oiled them, I put them in the vice and I couldn't get them to skip at all.  And they have yet to skip since.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

jrock [OP]

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 04, 2009, 08:46:36 PM »
Craftsman are 'rebuild-able'? I know some have the snap-ring, unlike my old Husky.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jan 04, 2009, 08:49:35 PM »
A light grease like bearing grease works better than oil to stop the skipping  :thumbs:  But it is often a temporary fix for a crappy ratchet.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

eazy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -6
  • Male Posts: 104
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 04, 2009, 09:16:30 PM »
i say craftsmaan i've done a lot of wrenching and never had a craftsman ratchet skip if you take care of it it will take care of you though i have ripped the direction selector off a few times and i just take i back and get another one and as far as sockets i have some that were my dads that wre my grandpa's and i've yet to destroy them
                                                                                that's my 2cents

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jan 04, 2009, 10:38:36 PM »
Using a 1/2 inch ratchet and adapters will get you every time!

Lol, no I just use 1/4 drive stuff A TON when working on dirtbikes and the 1/4 drive sockets like to crack on me, especially the deep ones. I usually have a handful of them i take to sears to get warrantied when I go. I also tend to break 3/8 drive ratchets, and no I do not use cheaters on them. Thats what breaker bars are for (I am sure a lot of ratchet problems would be avoided if people used breaker bars instead of ratchets. you can put cheaters on breaker bars and not worry about destroying any gears). I have a lot of Proto, SK, Snap-on, Mac, Matco, old Blackhawk (Proto), and my main set of stuff is craftsman, but it tends to break a lot. I do like the blown plastic case though. Like I said earlier, pawn shops are awesome! I go into pawn shops and just buy a bunch of higher quality handtools for cheap. Usually you can't buy just one thing though. They group them together into "lots" but for the price I am paying its worth to buy the whole lot lol.

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jan 04, 2009, 10:47:19 PM »
get a 3/8 drive impact and you will never use a ratchet again. i cant remember the last time i used a ratchet. im lost with out my air tools
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS