Author Topic: Favorite Sockets  (Read 5285 times)

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
Favorite Sockets
« on: Jan 04, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
Well I'm in the market for a new socket set, mine was stolen. I had a Husky set and I loved it but I am having a hard time finding the same set, so I thought I should upgrade. I never really used the Standards so I have been looking for a Metric only set but that seems to be out of the question. I have settled on the Craftsman 009-34142 thru Sears but I want to see what others have and your preferences.

What are your likes and dislikes of your socket sets?  :help:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Favorite Sockets
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2009, 02:15:42 PM »
I have a few Snap-On sets, some Huskey, and Craftsman stuff. I would say for the value Craftsman but for absolute reliability it is my Snap-Ons that never round anything off.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2009, 02:21:29 PM »
your gonna pay out the  :moon:  for snap-on but they are very reliable..

since craftsmen has a lifetime warranty I just go with them and save the extra  :twocents: on more tools.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2009, 02:24:10 PM »
your gonna pay out the  :moon:  for snap-on

Not if you have a friend that was a dealer.

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2009, 02:30:48 PM »
Wow, Snap-on is $$! I'm in the $200-300 range.
Does Craftsman still have  a lifetime warranty? I thought they changed that.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2009, 02:46:05 PM »
Snap-On has modified their "Lifetime Warranty" it has got hard to warranty them too. Even a little nick in the handle will void a warranty and they'll kick them back to the dealer. As far as I know Craftsman still carry a lifetime warranty for the hand tools.

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2009, 02:49:40 PM »
Snap-On has modified their "Lifetime Warranty" it has got hard to warranty them too. Even a little nick in the handle will void a warranty and they'll kick them back to the dealer. As far as I know Craftsman still carry a lifetime warranty for the hand tools.

So as long as you don't use a Snap-On tool (it won't get any nicks from use that way) it has a life-time warrantly...............

How Lame.    :thumbdown:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2009, 03:52:20 PM »
Any marks that could be thought that you used an external pry on the tool like a cheater bar will void the warranty.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2009, 05:08:32 PM »
I've got several sets of Craftsman tools (at my Ma's house, my daughter's house, my sister's house, my place and my truck)...I've never had a problem with any of them. I also have a few individual Snap-On tools, but for sheer convenience I decided to go with Craftsman. The still have a no questions lifetime warranty.

In the current Craftsman Club flier (free to join) there is a 260 pc. set for 189.99... http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00933260000P?adCell=A3

I have this set... http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00937154000P?keyword=009-37154000&sLevel=0 it's 89.99 in the flier.

This will take you to the join up page... http://craftsman.com/craftsmanclub/
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2009, 05:15:46 PM »
I vote snap on, Finally broke my snap on 17mm shallow socket the other day...using it on my 3/8impact, after about 4 years of use, my dealer will warranty it for me :yesnod:
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2009, 05:28:13 PM »
I'm not in favor of the 12pt sockets but that top one is sweet. I'll look into that. Those Snap-on wrenches are killer at a killer's price, to rich for my blood.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2009, 05:40:30 PM »
Ever look on ebay?  I've bought quite a bit of mac and matco stuff off there, as well as a little snap on.  I've bought several tool lots for less than one of the tools included would cost new.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2009, 05:43:18 PM »
2-3 hundred $$ range definately craftsman. you'd get maybe a 10 piece set from snap-on for that  :suprised: I played the snap-on game when I worked a quarry that had snap-on service to the mechanics, nice stuff and only had 1 piece fail that was replaced. but 70% of my tools are craftsman and the rest is snap-on and proto.

you definately get the  :o factor when you step up into a snap-on truck though

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2009, 05:48:37 PM »
I'm just not a fan of Ebay but I did look on Craigslist and there wasn't anything I could use. I feel naked without any ratchets.

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2009, 06:25:51 PM »
pawn shops are your friend when looking for snap-on or other higher dollar tools. just my experience. Also I have broken many craftsmen sockets, especially 1/4 in. drive stuff. Don't know why but they like to break on me.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2009, 06:48:46 PM »
Dont get laser etched size markings on them...they freakin rub off in the tool box making it very difficult to find the right one when u need it.......well...if your tool box looks like mine anyways
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2009, 06:55:25 PM »
Dont get laser etched size markings on them...they freakin rub off in the tool box making it very difficult to find the right one when u need it.......well...if your tool box looks like mine anyways
Are you talking about the Easy-Read sockets DTB? I havem and likem so far. i can see a few are starting to ruboff on me...

I bought a Craftsmen Set with a 3 drawer box. all molded for each socket, so its got: 1/4" drive drawer, 3/8" drive drawer, and 1/2" drive drawer that also holds all the wrenches and hex deals. ive been pretty happy with it since it was only $200 and has a lifetime warranty. I need to get my 3/8" ratchet warrantied though...Something about using a 6' cheater bar :whistle:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2009, 06:57:46 PM »
pawn shops are your friend when looking for snap-on or other higher dollar tools. just my experience. Also I have broken many craftsmen sockets, especially 1/4 in. drive stuff. Don't know why but they like to break on me.
using 1/4" is your problem.

as far as metric and standard. all i use now and even when i did lift kits is metric there a few sizes that i have to have in standard, 3/8" socket/wrench is the only that really comes to mind. i have 90% snap-on and mac tools. would never trade any of the air tools for any other company. but when it comes to sockets...impact that is. i have some snap on and some harbor frieght. the big difference is on the deep sockets the cheap ones dont have a retainer machined in them to keep the nut/bolt from going all the way to the drive part. so when i use those one the nuts usually get stuck in there. ive still never broke a cheap imcat socket though. i love mac tools, and some snap-on. def use craigslist and ebay though, proble get the same tool for 75% less than a tool truck
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2009, 06:57:58 PM »
I have a set of Stanely's that my dad bought me for Christmas about 7 years ago. Great set. I did break the rachet about a year ago (4 foot pry bar on the end of it :gap:) spent 15 bucks and got another one.  I've never been one to spend a load of money on hand tools. Though, I don't buy the crappy stuff either!!
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:12:08 PM »
especially 1/4 in. drive stuff. Don't know why but they like to break on me.

Using a 1/2 inch ratchet and adapters will get you every time!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:20:55 PM »
Why be afraid of ebay?  You just hafta know your prices, what you're looking for and at and read the auction page thoroughly.  Nothin to it!  Shoot, even sears sells stuff on ebay!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:21:07 PM »
Using a 1/2 inch ratchet and adapters will get you every time!
haha....how about 3/8 drive socket with a 3/4" impact gun :yupyup:
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:23:34 PM »
Why be afraid of ebay?  You just hafta know your prices, what you're looking for and at and read the auction page thoroughly.  Nothin to it!  Shoot, even sears sells stuff on ebay!
i think hes talking about people scaming on ebay. ive bought alot of random different stuff and never had aproblem with ebay. just look for somone with alot of stars or whatever, they REALLY care about negative remarks

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,399
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:24:50 PM »
Check out Armstrong, GP (Grey Pneumatic) and SK they make good sockets for a decent price  :thumbs: :beerchug:

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:33:54 PM »
Ebay like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Craftsman-260-pc-Mechanics-Tool-Set_W0QQitemZ270326128720QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item270326128720&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
The "one or multiple pieces missing" has me questioning... what's missing? I got scammed on ebay and I know ppl who have been scammed. I am willing to buy certain things on ebay but not a complicated tool set. Maybe a trail kit like one of the 108 piece kits for $30.

Tallchevy

• Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:44:56 PM »
You don't need Snap-on & Matco etc tools. Those dealers are convenient because they come to you (your place of business) & you can make payments to them. Their price also reflects that they come too you since they are marked up. Any of the Huskey, SK, Craftsman etc will do you just fine cuase you can take them back to the store for warranty.  :twocents:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:47:38 PM »
Strange, I don't even know how anybody could get scammed on ebay, especially since ebay and paypal will back up a buyer  :headscratch:  I have just over 100 feedback on ebay and probably closer to 200 total transactions and have only had a couple that were sketchy.

The auction you listed may have items listed as missing just to cover their ass since it's a return, but I was referring to their new stuff.  If you're trying to do it in a hurry then my method won't work for you, but I've been buying random lots of tools so I can have a solid set in each truck, and it often leads to me paying $1 or $2 per snap on, mac or matco extensions, and I saved over $100 buying a used set of mac locking extensions.  I've even bought 2 broken mac 3/8 drive ratchets for $8 shipped, had the mac guy fix one and try fixing the other, but one was too old for the fix-it kit to work.
RIP KYOTA

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
haha....how about 3/8 drive socket with a 3/4" impact gun :yupyup:

zackry what I mean!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:53:24 PM »
My problem with cratsman ratchets is the fact that you do have to take them back to the store to exchange.  I made the mistake of breaking the 3/8 ratchet stocker bought me around 90, took it in and they gave me the newer style, which sucked anus, it started skipping within a couple months, took it back and got another, and was headed back 15 minutes later because it skipped.  Sweet.  For a cheap rathet, I've had much better luck with the one I got from napa for work.
RIP KYOTA

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2009, 08:25:07 PM »
I love the Snap-On truck.  But I don't like the prices.  I got a 300+ piece Craftsman kit years ago, for around $175, and it came with those crappy ratchets.  I found that you have to pull the snap ring and back cover off, and spray a little oil in there or it will skip like :pokinit:.  No more skips.  :thumbs: 
I love the 6 point sockets, 12 points suck, and thats what usually rounds off bolts.  If I need anything extra, I'll pick up S&K or Proto.  Local parts house carries these.  And if I'm desperate, and depending on the tool needed, I'll buy the Schuck's Powerbilt line.  But I got to be desperate.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen