Author Topic: NWOR Springs. Thoughts??  (Read 5218 times)

hansfrans

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
NWOR Springs. Thoughts??
« on: Sep 02, 2004, 12:34:17 AM »
Anyone have any experience with NWOR's IFS spring and torsion bar kit??  I have heard that the NWOR springs ride extremely rough and tend to crack.  My truck has 185K on it and the stock springs and bars are shot.  Just wanted some thoughts before i spend any $$.  (I would do a SAS but I'm a college student and I just don't have the funding.  But someday when I get a real job.... MMMWWWAAAAHAHAHAHA!!) 

Thanks.

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
Re: NWOR Springs. Thoughts??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2004, 01:29:23 AM »
NWOR has a very, very poor customer service record according to what I have read anywhere. Have you checked Downey? Swayaway sells the larger torsion bars. Marlin sells the back springs as do others. Check the $300 thread to see White Trashes solution for rear springs.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2004, 10:50:45 AM »
NWOR isnt that great...I would go with Downey's bars since they are beefier than the Sway-a-way (sorry prism there 2mm thicker) for springs (im guessing you have leafs?) go either Marlins or Downey's :thumbsup:
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2004, 05:22:45 PM »
Try this

Bought NWOR V6/V8 leaf springs for my 4.3 conversion.  LESS than a year later they were sacked out FLAT!  NWOR said they would 'look at them and decide if they would warranty them' - after I paid shipping BOTH WAYS.  That would mean for another $15.00 dollars per spring I could have had new ones.

NWOR just plain sucks at customer service.

Buy you springs from Marlin.  Best customer service you'll find. Period.
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...

ezthere

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -11
  • Member since Feb '04
  • 85 4runner, worked 4.3L V6. 300HP.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2004, 11:16:48 PM »
Bought my springs in 1999. Have about 18,000 MI. NP yet but I don't do any hard trailing. The heavy duty 4 row rad. IS SHOT.  :mad:   ..! All the copper vains have flaked off.

I flew 5 thousand miles to Billingham, rented a car. Just to place an order. {Having it created and shipped was just to much $} Then I was asked to show I had the $2,500 before they would fill it.  :smack: ....I remember a hot looking blond worked there.She drove an 84 lifted toy pick-up. She asked to see the money..Even after calling on the phone long distance sending a fax for my order. I didn't want to get there and have the stuff out of stock.!
Chuck

scott.475

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2004, 01:20:09 AM »
Do NOT buy from NWOR! I have no idea how the maintain any repeat customers. There is a reason people refer to them as No Warranty Or Repair. Not surprisingly, they do not have their return policy on their website. My last catalog is packed away in a box right now, so I can't refer to it, but it is draconian to say the least. They have ridiculous restocking fees!

Go with who you KNOW will take care of you and who actually cares about your long term satisfaction.
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2004, 10:33:00 AM by BigMike »

94toytruck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 175
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Jun '04
  • kreepykrawler
    • View Profile
    • rightcoast4x4
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2004, 09:00:56 PM »
dude i am going to say this as nicely as i can.NWOR sucks never buy from them.now l explain :greengrin: i got their rear springs when i had just a little truck.if you want springs that sit way higher than you want have shackle angles that are verticle and no flex at all i guess its ok.now the truck was supposed to go up 1.5 to 2 inchs,not 4.5 inchs.shackle should not be verticle.so i called them flipping out.i got well they gota settle.so i loaded the bed with huge oak peices till it was level(read entire bed full) and went out wheelin some local stuff.no change at all.i drove like that and wheeled them for 3 months.never dropped.i called several times over those 3months.finally i got a guy that actuall knew what he was talking about.says "there is no way they could be the wrong spring".sends me a return tag.the tag and a one week window for return and was dated the day i got it as last day.i gave up.i took them apart and used the leafs for other stuff.they work good for rebar in concrete also work good or add a leafs.anything else they are junk.

oh yeah also if getting t-bars get sway aways.you dont need huge bars just a bit more rate.ive heard of lts of guys runnng v6 bars in 4cyl,.trucks with no complaints.

oh one more thing when i got downey 3 inch springs the back of my truck was perfect right where was supposed to be.i actually still have them in :biggthumpup:.nice and soft flex well for me anyways.

N=no
W=warranty
O=or
R=returns
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2004, 10:34:52 AM by BigMike »
95 x-cab truggy, 39 pitbull's on KMC's and 60/14b with chromo's, ultimate duals, linked and Co'ed

www.rightcoast4x4.com<<<get it

militarymudder

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 73
  • Member since Dec '04
  • if my tires are higher than my cab..... HELP!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2004, 06:10:06 PM »
im gonna hafta agree with the majority on this topic.... NWOR SUCKS!!!!!!... i bought my truck that had em on her... shed rather due a back flipp than have any flex... theyve cause me countless grey hairs at 20!!! i got rid of em and used em as extras to build packs, for the front, and just put chevies under the rear....
84 toy, bobbed, chevy rears, rear toy fronts, locked f/r, 5 in of lift, 5:29s, rebuilt 20 r, 34 in swampers, 8000 lb ramsey to take me where the lead foot is to heavy!!!...
future mods... crossover steering, and dual ultimate crawler !!!
 this is the KRITT'R GITT'R express... so get in, sit down, shut up, and HANG ON

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2004, 06:17:50 PM »
I had a set of NWOR springs on my rig a long time ago...the fronts sagged like nasty old lady  :boobs:
and the rears never flexed once I don't think.  They rattled my teeth until the day I threw them in the scrap pile.  Luckily, they were free to me so I don't have to claim buying them, BUT, I would NOT reccomend purchasing them.   They just plain suck.  If you have aspirations  of a SAS someday, buy a set of good used factory torsion bars and a cheapo set of rear rancho springs to get you buy until you can do it right. 

Just my  :twocents:

Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2004, 09:35:37 PM »
Man am I glad I found this post.  NWOR springs were at the top of my list, seein as money's tight and they're pretty cheap.  I've only known one person to run their springs(on an '83) and he said they were ok, just a little stiff.  Sad to hear they have Downey-like customer service though, I'd hoped for better.  Too bad my friend doesn't still live in Seattle, I could gather up everybody's junk springs and drop them off at their shop.  I wish Marlin's springs were cheaper, but I guess quality costs,   Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

militarymudder

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 73
  • Member since Dec '04
  • if my tires are higher than my cab..... HELP!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2004, 10:49:38 PM »
lots of other options for just as cheap, just means youll hafta fab or spend a lil more money and get something that is all set up....
84 toy, bobbed, chevy rears, rear toy fronts, locked f/r, 5 in of lift, 5:29s, rebuilt 20 r, 34 in swampers, 8000 lb ramsey to take me where the lead foot is to heavy!!!...
future mods... crossover steering, and dual ultimate crawler !!!
 this is the KRITT'R GITT'R express... so get in, sit down, shut up, and HANG ON

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2004, 01:24:57 AM »
Damn you guys have got to read $300!  I dont care if people think Im a damned bragger or not, my suspension setups kick serious ass!  And you can build it without ever spending more than $300 shocks and hoops included.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2004, 10:37:50 AM »
Geeze..... So I guess NWOR is :gay: then
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2004, 10:56:17 AM »
hey Nate,  whats your beef with downey, ive bought stuff from them and never had any problems :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2004, 12:37:20 PM »
First,  WT, could you post the page the suspension buildup is on, since I'm still on snail dial up?

Glen,  One of my big things is, if I call a company and "accidentally" mention another brand for referance and they start bashing them and everybody else I get turned off.  If I call with a simple question on design or application and they gimme the "because we are the best" speel, with no solid facts, I get turned off.  Downey is extremely full of themselves, ever seen their catalog that says on the bottom, " Not just a catalog, an education"?  They truly believe that they are the only people that should be making parts for Toyotas, and aren't shy about it.  I'm not saying they don't have some great products, but I am saying they have some poorly designed or assembled products, and horrible customer service.  I know a guy who ran their front springs, they flattened out very quickly so he called them and they said they weren't designed for trail use.  He asked how much more punishment they would endure on a trail versus the balls out desert racing they're supposed to be designed for and they just said because that's what they were designed for.  I'm not sayin I wouldn't buy any of their products, but I would only buy what I was willing to throw away if it broke, because I don't feel confident that they would honor any of their supposed great products.   Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

ezthere

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2004, 03:59:55 PM »
Ya know now that I think of it.The springs were a lot stiffer when I got them. They are softer now. But since this is the only set I have ever bought can't say what is better. I am kinda pissed about the radiator. $300+ didn't last long.

If I didn't fly for free I would really be pissed. But living on a small island I don't have many options.

On a better topic. I have completed going through the 4runner.Rebuilt every thing  :biggthumpup:  motor 4.3L tranny 700r4 chassis bla bla bla.Took almost a year.  This weekend I will try and start the engine. :circle: 
Chuck

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2004, 04:03:15 PM »
Hey chuck, how was the vacation?  :eyebrow:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

ezthere

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2004, 04:08:53 PM »
would have been BUTT more interesting if you were there.  :flamer:   :moon:  :cheer:  :puke3:
Chuck

WileEToyote

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2004, 05:32:48 PM »
FWIW Rancho also makes HD torsion bars, often listed as a spring instead of a torsion bar.  Not sure of the diameter, but I was happy with these, even cranked, prior to going solid.
~Adam
96 T100, Dana44, lockers and stuff
75 FJ40, stock for the moment