Author Topic: Question for all you shop owners?  (Read 6833 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Question for all you shop owners?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 17, 2008, 05:40:31 PM »
Collier bringin the funnay  :haha:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 17, 2008, 07:58:15 PM »
Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo....
and that makes you cool.... hmmm

but my sig doesn't say i am cool!  your like the dude in dirtoyboy's sig.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #32 on: Nov 17, 2008, 08:39:36 PM »
Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo....
and that makes you cool.... hmmm
Wow, burn... glad the third grade period humor came out from someone probably in their 30's.

Most business's charge obscene markups, also the reason how many stay in business. The average Joe doesn't know the actual cost of the product or service. So if you are at or equal to what the market will handle you can charge that much. For example a gear oil change in your t-case at a grease monkey is $39.99... Takes less than 10 minutes to drain and refill, takes about four pints i believe. Labor is about five bucks the fluid is $0.75 bulk price from Rex Oil. Total company cost is around $8, markup of $31.... doesn't seem fair, but that what we charge and people pay it. I am not saying i believe it is right, i am saying it is what happens. Market driven prices is how this economy runs and turns such a large profit for so many business'.

You are a little off on your pricing, ask me how I know.  :shake:
Just slightly witty and i guess that was a compliment then, i was off by 21 years...

The guy I work for has been operating this Grease Monkey since 1995, he fully bought it in 2004 when it was making $40,000 a month. He now makes $80,000+ a month and his operating costs are about $28,000 a month including labor. $52,000 a month in capital sounds pretty dang good to me and with a 78% return rate on all customers he is second in the nation for Grease Monkey's, even though he price gouges on everything.

I really believe this..... not!
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 18, 2008, 12:31:40 AM »
You are a little off on your pricing, ask me how I know.  :shake:
I really believe this..... not!

I work there, I print off weekly and monthly reports. He has paid off his loans for the franchise of $750,000. He pays 15,000 a month for his lease of 25 years on the property. And that is what we charge for any gear box oil change that requires GL5, synthetic 80w140 or 75w90 is 59.99. Just because you charge different at your shop doesn't mean that is the price in Colorado.

Anything envolving GL5 has the most profit involved, air filters and other items do not yield as much
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #34 on: Nov 18, 2008, 08:34:24 AM »
You'd be surprised at how similar my prices are to yours, I ain't no Jiffylube. :reg: But I care for my customers not just as a dollar sign but as a person that may not know about their vehicle and what it really needs. Selling someone unnecessary services is the quickest way to turn what he has now into one of those places that people shy away from. It's all about the soft-sell, if you haven't done it check out the complaints people are filling on the various sites about "quick lube" shops. You'll be shocked. Before I opened my shop I did my homework, lots and lots of research. I found some amazing things that shocked me on what some of these places do. I have never had one customer feel they were taken advantage of or given a service they didn't need or want, my customers leave feeling they got what needed to be done and not something they didn't need. My shop is smack in the middle of new car dealerships and even people coming from them are being taken advantage of. If you sell even one person a service that they really didn't need to make your quota, you are no better than these ripoff shops.

Here's a really cool link to tons of consumer complaints about Jiffylube, most are valid complaints, some are not but this is what makes all "quick lubes" look like crap places that you don't want to go to. My shop was a Jiffylube before we took over, I have talked with a lot of people that used to come here when it was and it was not a good place to come to.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/jiffy_lube_billing.html
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2008, 08:44:43 AM by Rocksurfer »

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #35 on: Nov 18, 2008, 08:51:07 AM »
What a lot of people don't know about JL is that sure the individual shops are franchised but the regions are run by a single family, and that family runs the corporation. This families profit is judged by those regions, and is my guess as to why people go through so many hoops to get anything done after a complaint.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Nov 18, 2008, 02:23:17 PM »
Good points and great example rs, thanks for bringing that up.  Every time I hear anybody, friend or enemy, bring up that they're going to get an oil change I always tell them to steer clear of jiffy lube, and no matter who they go to to just get the oil change only.  There is a family owned oil change place in town with 2 different locations, and they seem to have developed a reputation for honesty and good service, just can't remember the name.  Oil changes around here are fairly cheap, maybe because we have so many options, or maybe because we live in a smarter community  :dunno:

I work in a customer service based industry, and if people feel wronged we stand to lose a lot more than the cost of one oil change.  We do charge more than car places to do an oil change, but you can't just pull a boat over a lift and do a 5-10 minute oil change!  We have a large bulk oil tank, but we charge the customer by the quart so we pull quarts off the shelf.

Maybe those who feel it's ok to price gouge are living in a bigger area where you don't need to count on return business, but living in a small community you need to treat the community well in order to succeed.  It's sad when some greedy businessmen can't see past their nose, but they'll hopefully eventually burn themselves and get what they deserve!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 18, 2008, 02:27:48 PM »
After reading that jiffy lube thing, I kinda want to take my truck in for an oil change.  Like most here, I know my truck inside and out and know what it does or doesn't need, and it'd be kinda funny to go in and play dumb and see what they'd tell me I need.
RIP KYOTA

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Nov 18, 2008, 03:09:58 PM »
This is a shop owned by one man, almost all other Grease Monkeys are owned by a man named Ron Marrow who owns 23. The thing is that in some instances the customer is not being taken advantage of as far as a manufacturer required or recommended service for a vehicle, it is the pricing set by the owner. Many things are required to be done when a vehicle is under warranty, if they are not then you run the risk of going in for a claim at the stealer and having a legal issue on your hands because you did not do the required services.

For Example: 2000 Chevy Silverado

Manfacture Rec.Every______Miles
Front differential- 15,000
Rear Differential- 15,000
Transfer case- electronic shift 100,000
                     non elec- 60,000
Transmission Flush- 50,000
Air Filter- 12,000 to 20,000
Radiator flush- 100,000 or every two years
Oil and filter- 3,000
Cabin Air Filters 30,000
Tire Rotation-8,000-10,000
Fuel Filter- 15,000 or one year

We do not recommend these if the car is not at the proper miles, any person can turn down any service obviously. In comparison to having the services done at the Dealer the cost is considerably less.

Dan Farmer the owner of this store pioneered the upfront greeting method, eliminating the service review that you used to sit down with the customer and explain what needed to be done. He ran the number 1 in sales and car count Grease Monkey in Parker Colorado for 7 years before they were all sold and he purchased this one down the road.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #39 on: Nov 18, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
I have 7 bulk oil tanks and I get a really good price due to that. I charge the prevailing per qt. price for my oil so I do make some $ off of that, I don't charge for my oil filters except if they go over $10.00 my cost and there are not very many that do. I also charge $15. for the service so I do make a good dime on an oil change but you know exactly what you are getting and it is an honest price. I DO NOT have a house brand oil which is basically junk, and that's your cheap oil changes that JL sells you to get you in and then up sells the piss out of you.

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Nov 18, 2008, 03:41:36 PM »
Basic 2wd oil change in $33 here full service, Upcharge on most diesel filters and canister filters. Bulk oil here is Union 76, also offered is valvoline, Casterol, Quaker State, Penzoil for a $5 upcharge. Mobil high milage oil change is 47.99 and a mobil one is 64.99. All are up to 5 quarts and then a charge for each additional. The bulk oil is a semi synthetic blend and is not crap IMO.

Walmart charges $18 for just oil and filter. $26 for full service....they use penzoil bulk and fram filters which are crap

We charge $32 for oil filter, check and top off all fluids, vacuum, tires and windows...
I believe it is a different customer base for those who go to walmart vs those who come here

Jiffy Lube is not part of Grease Monkey international, the one that is in town just opened and he can barely make ends meet and horror stories of filters blowing off and skid plate issues come our way all the time

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #41 on: Nov 18, 2008, 09:19:23 PM »
Basic 2wd oil change in $33 here full service,

You charge more for 4wd?

Upcharge on most diesel filters and canister filters.

I know how much the filters cost and most diesel filters cost no more than the average filter and canister/drop ins are not pricey either except in a few cases.  I do charge more for the diesel service since they do take longer to do and I offer fuel filter service too since it should be replaced at least every other oil change. I would have said every change but since low sulfur diesel came into play it is not as bad. I don't charge extra for any filter except in extreme cases.

Bulk oil here is Union 76,

Not a bad choice for a house brand, 76 is popular even as a brand name oil.

also offered is valvoline, Casterol, Quaker State, Penzoil for a $5 upcharge.

This is where I have issues with the oil change industry, I don't have a house brand Valvoline is it, there is no upcharge and I'm at 33.75.

Mobil high milage oil change is 47.99

$40.00 for Valvoline MaxLife. I also have Valvoline DuraBlend Semi Synthetic for $40.00 too.

and a mobil one is 64.99.

Valvoline SynPower $50.00

All are up to 5 quarts and then a charge for each additional. The bulk oil is a semi synthetic blend and is not crap IMO.

5qts. would be pretty standard, and I charge diesel by the gallon, 1st gallon free.

Walmart charges $18 for just oil and filter. $26 for full service....they use penzoil bulk and fram filters which are crap

I will agree that Fram is junk but Penzoil which had issues in the past with paraffin wax build up is just that in the past. Pennsylvania crude is very high in paraffin but is probably one of the sweetest crudes in the world, Penzoil worked very hard in developing their oils and removing the paraffin. In fact they now have a synthetic to rival Mobil 1 and is even going to give SynPower a run for its money.

We charge $32 for oil filter, check and top off all fluids, vacuum, tires and windows...
I believe it is a different customer base for those who go to walmart vs those who come here

True, that would be the same here.

Jiffy Lube is not part of Grease Monkey international, the one that is in town just opened and he can barely make ends meet and horror stories of filters blowing off and skid plate issues come our way all the time

But people still keep going there, mostly because their data base is nationwide. You can go to any JL in any state and if you've ever been to a JL you info on your car is there. Of course the real reason is so that any JL can see what has and has not been done to your car so they can try to upsale you.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #42 on: Nov 18, 2008, 10:14:59 PM »
Here's another JL bashing site.....

http://www.jiffylubeproblems.com/index.html

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Nov 19, 2008, 12:29:27 AM »

You charge more for 4wd?

$3 more for four wheel drives

I know how much the filters cost and most diesel filters cost no more than the average filter and canister/drop ins are not pricey either except in a few cases.  I do charge more for the diesel service since they do take longer to do and I offer fuel filter service too since it should be replaced at least every other oil change. I would have said every change but since low sulfur diesel came into play it is not as bad. I don't charge extra for any filter except in extreme cases.

It is more the time issue here, also sometimes the tools required to do the job (new tundra.... lame canister filter). We carry every fuel filter possible and have the tools to do all flex fuel filters. I am the fastest at all of them and also the 6.0 and 6.4 powerstrokes, diesels are big money makes for him

This is where I have issues with the oil change industry, I don't have a house brand Valvoline is it, there is no upcharge and I'm at 33.75.

It was originally havoline, but that costed more so he went to this. We have one 500 gal bulk tank that is empty, he is thinking about offering a generic synthetic oil change with that and premium with mobil 1

5qts. would be pretty standard, and I charge diesel by the gallon, 1st gallon free.

Diesel is still the same 5 qts, sucks when you have a 15 qt powerstroke or 10 qt duramax or a 11 or 12 qt cummins.......

I will agree that Fram is junk but Penzoil which had issues in the past with paraffin wax build up is just that in the past. Pennsylvania crude is very high in paraffin but is probably one of the sweetest crudes in the world, Penzoil worked very hard in developing their oils and removing the paraffin. In fact they now have a synthetic to rival Mobil 1 and is even going to give SynPower a run for its money.

We have one customer who has had his oil changed by dan since forever always using penzoil and are purilator filters, 562,000 miles on the same engine....... and it is a ford ranger, i know i cant believe it either

But people still keep going there, mostly because their data base is nationwide. You can go to any JL in any state and if you've ever been to a JL you info on your car is there. Of course the real reason is so that any JL can see what has and has not been done to your car so they can try to upsale you.

We are not connected to anyone, if you dont know we ask to look at receipts to find out what services have been done. Or they women call the husband lol

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #44 on: Nov 19, 2008, 07:36:00 AM »
Just slightly witty and i guess that was a compliment then, i was off by 21 years...

The guy I work for has been operating this Grease Monkey since 1995, he fully bought it in 2004 when it was making $40,000 a month. He now makes $80,000+ a month and his operating costs are about $28,000 a month including labor. $52,000 a month in capital sounds pretty dang good to me and with a 78% return rate on all customers he is second in the nation for Grease Monkey's, even though he price gouges on everything.

And if I were your buddy and found you were blabbing about my business on a public forum, you would be looking for a new job. Be careful what you wish for.
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Nov 19, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »
And if I were your buddy and found you were blabbing about my business on a public forum, you would be looking for a new job. Be careful what you wish for.

Noted, thanks

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #46 on: Nov 20, 2008, 11:06:10 AM »
Scams update:

Here's the latest greatest thing I've come across. I'm guessing that this is the newest way to save a buck, reusing oil filters. This is probably to trick people into thinking their filters are being changed. What they do is recycle filters. They actually do change your filter but the new filter is not new, they take the old filters clean them up and then reinstall them on the next vehicle that requires that filter. Talk about dangerous living. This could be the very reason JL is experiencing their cans coming apart. When you install and or remove a filter you should be on the edge of crushing it in the 1st place and doing it several times could easily cause the can to collapse or blow a seam.

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Nov 20, 2008, 01:40:30 PM »
we take the filters off and stab two holes in the top and side, they all get recycled by mesa oil

tommyboy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Nov 20, 2008, 01:58:05 PM »
lol...or just change your own oil...but im just sayin!!

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Nov 20, 2008, 02:58:01 PM »
i work there and i still change my own lol

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #50 on: Nov 20, 2008, 08:54:30 PM »
You punch them to drain all the oil out for recycling, the ones that are playing this latest game are not since they plan on reusing them. I know times are tough but for the average wholesale cost of filters it is just ridiculous.

tommyboy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Nov 20, 2008, 09:48:03 PM »
i work there and i still change my own lol
heck saves you a buck right? lol

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Nov 20, 2008, 11:12:23 PM »
I think I pay like $2.35 a filter for a napa gold, and you can usually find oil on sale for $9-11 for a 5 quart jug.  It's worth the 5 minutes it takes me to do, and rather than make a special trip to get supplies I pick a filter up on my way home since I drive by napa, then snag the oil the next time I'm in town.  I'm not terribly particular with hitting the mark on oil changes. 
RIP KYOTA

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Nov 21, 2008, 08:32:44 AM »
I use mobil 1 and i am about 700 miles over right now, but i am good. I use Ac Delco filters.... 4.3L