Author Topic: 2008 deer hunting and general hunting adventures - POSSIBLE BLOODY PICS INSIDE!!  (Read 38194 times)

eddyb

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 230
  • Male Posts: 203
  • Member since Jun '05
  • I'm here, I'm in gear, get used to it!!!
    • View Profile
The back up is a m 70!!!! Dude those a tack drivers. Ide use the 70 all the time. Is it a pre 64?

The 03-A3 is the back up.  It was my only till I ran across the M70 for cheap.  I had been looking to retire the 03 since it is so old and I had to have the headspace redone when it started pulling the rims off of cases.  

The M70 was built in the '70s and the 03-A3 is more of a tack driver than the M70.
A bad day of wheelin' is better than a good day at work

kneedownnate [OP]

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I ran across this and thought it was an interesting read.

http://www.sportkine.net/?q=node/7
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Interesting, that gun's not bad looking, save for the cracked stock! 

We might have chukar within a couple hour drive.  I'd have to check the area out, but I'll hopefully be scouting the area for pronghorn antelope anyway  :gap:

the action is stuck open, I believe its just due to not being used and maintained
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I'd go down to napa and grab a can of deep creep, spray the whole thing down and just let it soak.  That stuff works wonders!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I'd go down to napa and grab a can of deep creep, spray the whole thing down and just let it soak.  That stuff works wonders!

Hmmm, I may just do that!  I'm still gonna have a gunsmith take a look, I want to be able to shoot it, if possible, and knowing that the gun has prolly just been sitting in a closet or on a garage shelf for the last 10 years at least is enough for me to want a professional to look at it :gap:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
here comes our weather boys, i still havent duck hunted some how and now that we got this coming ill be out of town unable to hunt all weekend.  At least nowadays with my lack of a schedule and own boat ill be able to hunt everyday next week if some birds move in.  Ive been out almost everyday striper fishing in my duck hunting areas and just barely a few birds are starting to creep in

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Yup, and here comes the wet weather 1 week after deer season closes  :shake:  I'm contemplating taking up duck hunting this year, but there are just so few places to hunt them on public land here that it's nearly pointless!
RIP KYOTA

porkchop

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 630
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Yeah 2 @ 1 time
    • View Profile
Yup, and here comes the wet weather 1 week after deer season closes  :shake:  I'm contemplating taking up duck hunting this year, but there are just so few places to hunt them on public land here that it's nearly pointless!

It is a blast you will like it. Warning it cost more than wheeling does 
85 TRUCK AUSSIE IN FRONT LINCON AROUND BACK MARLIN 4" SPRINGS UP FRONT WITH 63 CHEVYS ON BACK. REBUILT 22R WITH CRAWL CAM AND FEW OTHER THINGS NOTHING HUGE JUST WAITING TO GET PROPANE ON IT. RUNNIN 35'S M/T WITH MY LONGFIELDS 30 SPLINE SUPER AXLES. 4.7's IN T-CASE AND ON THE WAY WITH DUAL CASES. FULL HYDRO WITH TG ROCK ASSULT PUMP AND 2 X 6 AG RAM

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile

not really, once you figure out what your doing the refuges in the valley have as good of duck hunting as you will ever want

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
It is a blast you will like it. Warning it cost more than wheeling does 

I used to duck hunt back when a lot more places were open and loved it, but since those places have closed I gave up.  I know it's spendy, especially the way I shoot with a scattergun  :ack:  Part of my problem with it is it's very hard for me to sit still.  I love jump shooting or catching strays flying over, which happened quite a bit before they pushed the city limits down past the water treatment plant. 

How far down in the valley?  With the cost of gas I really can't see going very far at all.
RIP KYOTA

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
all the best stuff is i guess between chico and williams but theres also klamath and tule lake refuges

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Pat, why don't you throw up some recipes on cooking wild game?  I'm mostly interested in what you do with duck since you say you like it, but most people say it's gross, but feel free to post up any wild game recipes - that goes for everybody  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

porkchop

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Yeah 2 @ 1 time
    • View Profile
I like it in stir fry my self
85 TRUCK AUSSIE IN FRONT LINCON AROUND BACK MARLIN 4" SPRINGS UP FRONT WITH 63 CHEVYS ON BACK. REBUILT 22R WITH CRAWL CAM AND FEW OTHER THINGS NOTHING HUGE JUST WAITING TO GET PROPANE ON IT. RUNNIN 35'S M/T WITH MY LONGFIELDS 30 SPLINE SUPER AXLES. 4.7's IN T-CASE AND ON THE WAY WITH DUAL CASES. FULL HYDRO WITH TG ROCK ASSULT PUMP AND 2 X 6 AG RAM

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Fixed the shotgun today!  :woohoo:  Got it put back together, and cleaned up.  Aside from the split forestock, it looks pretty good :gap:

I'll put up some pics tommorow when I get home.

In the meantime, here's some info I copied off a gun forum.  Interesting.

The Winchester 1911SL (self loading) shotgun was the original John Moses Browning automatic shotgun design.

Its operating mechanism is the now classic Browning short-recoil cycle. Firing recoil initiates a rearward movement of the locked barrel/bolt unit. The barrel/bolt assembly is slowed by the barrel lug compressing a recoil-spring and the binding effect of a friction washer assembly that surrounds the magazine tube, then the barrel lug impacts a stop on the receiver face, the barrel’s rearward movement stops abruptly, the bolt unlocks, disengages from the barrel extension, then momentum carries the bolt on its rearward movement, extracting and ejecting the spent case, all the while being continuously slowed by a bolt recoil spring mounted in the butt-stock. The barrel recoil spring returns the barrel and its extension to battery, and a bolt recoil spring initiates the forward movement of the bolt and the elevation of new cartridge inline to the breech axis. The recoil spring continues the forward movement of the bolt and cartridge to their respective lock-up positions at the barrel extension and breech.

This model is unique in that it is actuated by grasping a knurled portion of the barrel, behind the front sight and compressing the barrel down into the receiver to duplicate its short-recoil firing cycle. There is no bolt handle as is standard on almost all subsequent auto shotgun designs. The sear and disconnector arrangement of the Winchester 1911SL is almost identical to that of the 1911 Colt pistol, which he had also designed. Additionally, all of the metal component parts including the receiver and barrel extension are milled from forged steel billets, a prohibitively costly process in this day and time.

The 1911 SL in its original condition suffers from a barrel recoil spring that soon weakens and causes the barrel to batter at its stop. An obvious symptom of the spring fatigue is the fore-stock splitting from the repeated shock. The butt-stock is of a tri-laminate design that also doesn't withstand field use well, and eventually separates. The bolt recoil spring guide is essentially a metal capped wooden dowel, that is prone to swelling, softening and eventually breaking within the milled-out center layer of the butt-stock, usually resulting in a binding of the bolt recoil spring and rendering the firearm useless except as a club (remember, no bolt handle to assist the bolt back into battery with the barrel breech).

JM Browning had a serious disagreement with Winchester over this firearm, and as a result severed all relations with them. He took the design to Herstal, Belgium, for its production under license by Fabrique Nationale des Armes (FN) as the now famous Browning Automatic Shotgun (this version added a bolt handle and dropped the knurling on the barrel, but otherwise it was the same action), which in its recently discontinued configuration was called an Auto-5. His new arrangement with FN was sufficiently satisfactory to him, such that after his death they continued the development and production of his last brainchild, the now ubiquitous Browning Hi-Power.

-Ronald Reagan

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
after 1.5 years of freakin' around with my bow and halfassed trying to kill something with it I finally got the job done on saturday, Also drilled a Huge tom but he managed to get into the air and fly across a big canyon into the fog

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
hells ya good shootin a turkey is the only thing i have ever killed with a bow sweet deal!!!! How do u cook wild turkey?????
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Right on, congrats man  :thumbs:  I used to practice with my bow, but the last time I wrecked the bike I separated something in my chest and couldn't pull a bow for about a year.  I just haven't taken it back up, which sucks cause I now have enough room and a good spot to practice.  How long is turkey season on for?
RIP KYOTA

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Just a heads up for anyone that plans to catch us (Miwall Corp) at a gun show, we have been selling out of almost everything on the first day of our shows. If you plan on buying any ammo from us you need to be at the doors well before the show opens @ 9am. Otherwise you are going to miss out. We are in Costa Mesa, CA @ the Orange County Fair grounds and Las Vegas, NV @ the Santa Fe Station this upcoming Thanksgiving Day weekend (29th-30th).

Also if you plan to attend a show and want to be guaranteed to get what you want you can place an order to be picked up at the show by emailing info@miwallcorp.com.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
Got back from Idaho couple weeks ago, got into a few cubbies of chukar and some pheasant, here are a few pics :thumbs:

SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Sweet  :thumbs:  There was a trailer like that on craigslist for $350 I think. 
RIP KYOTA

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Here is mine from today.
my last day to get one.... this pig came running in at me as my cousin rattled.

gutted, weighed 160lbs, small little 2x3 but pretty big body for the size of the rack

it's a Mule Deer.

compared to my first 4x5 300lb Mule Deer from 2004.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Thanks they were both a Rush.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
nice, i cant wait to kill a mulie.  I can see where i could quickly become addicted to the sound of and arrow hitting an animal at 300fps its pretty cool i love it alread

porkchop

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Yeah 2 @ 1 time
    • View Profile
good deer and turkey keep them coming guys!

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
For you AZ folks I will be in Phoenix @ the Arizona State Fairgounds December 5-7th

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I keep forgetting to post these pics.  A guy on pirate saw this at yellowstone or something  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
Here is mine from today.
my last day to get one.... this pig came running in at me as my cousin rattled.

gutted, weighed 160lbs, small little 2x3 but pretty big body for the size of the rack

it's a Mule Deer.

compared to my first 4x5 300lb Mule Deer from 2004.

Hahaha you have the face of a total jerk in that second pic!

Nice bucks tho...
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
I keep forgetting to post these pics.  A guy on pirate saw this at yellowstone or something  :dunno:
yosemote